Fractal JS swirl - Page 6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 02:25 PM

I give the guy credit for trying to come up with something cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod927
I give the guy credit for trying to come up with something cool.
Thanks, I had someone from PRS say it was cool to!
post #78 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 07:29 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS

But yes they were poking me I think it comes down to purest, or fear of change?!
Purist here
post #79 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 08:52 PM

it does open up for new designs tho, things that could not be painted.,,,
post #80 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 02:35 PM

[quote="HDS"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubarão Guitars
Do you think people wouldnt like it because it wasnt dunked into a tank of water with paint floating?
Nooo, i like it!
Great job, HDS.
What you think about a "green and black only" pattern???
Tubarão
post #81 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 06:07 PM

I'd like to see a swirl in various shades of grey, from white to black. Would fit in in a smokey room.
post #82 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:29 AM

I think it's cool that someone has come up with something new. The market will decide if it lives or dies, but my hat goes off to HDS for having tried something new out.

As for the debate about this being a cheap printed slice of plastic -- has everyone forgotten Joe's newest JS with the hotrod flames? Those are also stickers...
post #83 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babahi

As for the debate about this being a cheap printed slice of plastic -- has everyone forgotten Joe's newest JS with the hotrod flames? Those are also stickers...
Not if you belive Joe, because he said it was painted by these folks.

http://www.viciouscycles.org/index.html
post #84 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:04 PM

Something occurred to me over the weekend with regards to original paint-dip swirls or hand-painted Rainforests, versus vinyl stick-on faux swirls, etc...

Isn't this somewhat analogous to playing covers, say those of Satriani or Vai for example? We are attempting to duplicate someone else's original art, and we are all the prouder if we manage to do it accurately. Unless we preface our performance by saying "Hi, I'm Joe Satriani and now I'm gonna play Borg Sex for ya" then no one takes offense or feels like the artist is pulling off a scam. I guess I really don't see much fundamental difference in duplicating a graphical art form (swirled guitar and so on), as long as no one is trying to pass it off as the real thing. And I seriously doubt that anyone is going to mistake a vinyl stick-on for the genuine article.

But again, I personally don't have much interest in a faux swirl, Donnie, or Rainforest, but it does seem like the above analogy applies.

Just for thought...
Bert
post #85 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Vendor

Are you aware that every time a cover is played anywhere that a royalty is due the artist that copyrighted it?
post #86 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Are you aware that every time a cover is played anywhere that a royalty is due the artist that copyrighted it?
Wow! I wasn't aware of that. I knew it applied to recording covers of other's music, but not live performances.

I guess I owe some big money!
post #87 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Vendor

I never said it was enforceable, but the law is the law
post #88 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:40 PM

Yes, I'm aware of that and I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of giving the original artists their just rewards. (Actually my current band is playing all originals, so it's sort of a moot issue for me at the moment). My point is that I suspect many of the people that vehemently object to the graphical re-creation of unique guitars would have little or no objection to the concept of recreating the musical art: I'd wager that a large percentage of them have engaged in it either now or sometime in their musical past with little remorse. Is there really a fundamental conceptual difference in these two forms of re-creation? I think not.

Incidentally, it would probably behoove us to keep in mind that many of the Ibanez guitars we love (and collect) are in reality slight variants on the super-strat concept, a design that was hardly Ibanez' own creation. So if we object to the artwork, aren't we splitting a few convenient hairs here?
post #89 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Vendor

We're not splitting anything, copy something that's already been done like a Rainforest or ATD swirl and you owe a royalty [and I believe that's only if you are given permission to begin with]. You create something original you control your own destiny
post #90 of 186 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Yes, yes... As I said, I don't agree with making exact copies of those cool original designs. It is unfortunate that the technology is evolving to the point where very soon (if not already), it WILL be possible to make indistinguishable copies. Not a good idea and it will spoil the fun of seeking out those originals.

The question is what degree of resemblance crosses the line? If it's any sort of swirl or rainforest-like pattern, is that too much? Or does it have to be so close that at first blush one might mistake it for the real thing? Or would it have to be something so close that only a pro like Rich could distinguish them? If we say that it's the first case (any swirl sort of thing), then we had best be humble about the other areas where we don't apply the same discriminating logic, such as playing cover tunes, playing strat-like Ibanez guitars, and so on.

I stand guilty on the inconsistent, discretionary logic flaw. I catch myself constantly applying one set of rules to one issue, and a different (usually less stringent) set of rules to some other matter. That's how most of us stumble through the day. Ah, but I wax philosophic.

Hey Rich, I PROMISE I won't buy, sell, encourage, endorse, play, admire, attempt to produce, smile at, wink at, fondle, or otherwise support the creation of any replicate Donnies, Rainforests, Rainbows, DNAs or other unique and collectable guitars. But I do wish I could finish up this one I'm working on that looks just like a turd... Once I'm done, I will finally control my own destiny.
Bert

Tags
acoustic guitar , atd swirl , clear coat , darren wilson , dot inlay , dot inlays , double cutaway , electric guitar , guitar body , guitar shop , headstock shape , herc fede , herc swirl , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , pickup ring , pickup rings , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode