Fret Buzz woes =( - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Fret Buzz woes =(

Hi all,

some of you may have read below - new JS1000 btb...

mentioned about a bit of a buzz problem which only seems to be getting worse. Only seems to be along the majority of the low E and the first 5-6 frets on the wound strings. playing a barre/power chord sounds horrible =/

i tried to raise the action a bit but nothing, tried to loosen the truss rod and it only got worse, put it back and it was the same, tightened it and it was the same, put it back and it was the same.

can anyone please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Fret Buzz woes =(

Is the neck shimmed?

Jimmy
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 13

The 7th fret may be a little raised.
Check this out.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM

Yeah, as I mentioned in your JS1000 thread, add a nut shim... worked well for me, most of the fret buzz disappeared in the lower frets, strings 4-6.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Is the neck shimmed?

Jimmy
as far as I know its not - just from the shop, there looks to be a shim under the nut... if it carries on i'm gonna send it to a proper place for a setup... balls
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

gonna have to try that out - what's the easiest way? take off all the strings and unscrew the nut from the neck?

as far as i know there is not a shim in the neck...just from the shop so i dunno - do they shim them from the factory?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM

My 2550 had a metal shim but it still needed a new .5mm shim to get rid of the major buzz. I did not remove strings to add the shim... just removed the 3 trem springs and kept trem in place. That allowed me to move/lift the nut to add the new shim.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

ah i see - will give that a go - will probably feel safer just loosening the strings tbh - dont wanna scuff up the body or cavity lol
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Damn that sucks. I was waiting to hear about the great time you were having with the New JS.

Maybe when Rich finishes his UPS claim check sponsored European Vacation he can give you some insight into what he's seeing with the JS nuts these days. I seem to remember him stating that he was removing the nut and doing some grinding to level underneath the nut, so some nut shimming sounds like it might be necessary.

He packed a shim in my case, so I'm assuming he ground under my nut to level and used a different shim.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Vendor

Latvia rocked.

Nut height only affects the open strings. If loosening the truss rod made it worse I'm at a loss.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Rich, would a warped neck cause that?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Vendor

A bad neck could.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

to be honest the neck looks fine - its not overly bent/bowed doesn't *look* twisted.

might send it for a setup somehwere - i dont mind a little bit of buzz - the nice twangy kind.

when you play a power chord and all you hear is buzz its horrible - it wasn't OVERLY bad before but noticeable. gonna string change and setup the bridge etc and see if that helps.

yay =(
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 PM

After I received my JS1200 (right out of the box from the factory) I played it for a short while to:

1) Learn this "new" guitar.
2) Determine if "the factory setup" was worth a damn.
3) If I had a wish list; how would I tweak the new guitar.

I liked the feel well enough, but it did need refinement to my playing preferences, but there was no fret buzz, or extra issues besides just getting it tuned to my playing style.

If you have a local setup guy you trust, spend the few extra bucks on having it refined for you.

Make sure they know about locking trems though.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

update time - added the shim under the nut. I just used some tinfoil and wrapped around one of the ones that were already there.

the action is quite high and the buzz is still predominant - letting the neck set from the truss moves and will lower the action and reset the neck tomorrow.

if that doesn't make much difference i'm sending away.

hate fret buzz.

Tags
locking trems , neck relief , neck shim , nut height , nut shim , trem springs , warped neck , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode