Fret grooves/wear Jem 7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Fret grooves/wear Jem 7VWH

I was changing my strings yesterday and for the 1st time in my life noticed grooves on my frets. Especially on the 1st six or so frets so much that you can catch your fingernail in them. That's how deep. There's considerable wear all the way up to the 12th fret. The guitar is a Jem 7VWH and is a 2005. However I recently bought a 1988 Jem FP and it's frets are like flawless! What gives? True I play the white one a lot more but Geeez! Anyway, any suggestions on who to send it to to get refretted or should I order frets and take it locally. I live in Lake Havasu, AZ. Thanks for any ideas or replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Fret grooves/wear Jem 7VWH

I have noticed that newer models tend to suffer more from fretwear and quicker than older. I have owned/played abused ´89 FP, ´89 VSK, ´90PWH, ´91VDY and´92BFP with virtually no fretwear other than some rust easily removable only by cleaning each fret or sanding it with 0000 steel-wool. But others as ´96 BSB, ´96 JPM2, ´97 JPM3,´98 VWH, ´98 90HAM, ´00 DBK, and ´05 VWH had as you describe dings on the frets where the string can be caught specially on the lower frets. If it is not specially deep you can ask for a fret levell, but if it bothers your playing a refret is needed.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Ship the neck to me and I'll refret it.

And yes, the fret wire used today is sub standard by historic measures. Made in China crap prolly.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 PM

If you do go ahead with a re-fret. I would suggest going all out and getting stainless steel frets.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 4

I can't say anything about the jem specifically, But i have a '06 artcore AFS75T, and it has a good amount of fretware, but it is all pretty uniform, no grooves, I have also played this guitar to death because it's my baby lol. ymmv. I do have a used RX60 that I recently acquired in october, it had a really nice groove at the g-string on the 14th fret, but I have played it so much that I can hardly notice it any more lol.

I use Ernie ball Skinny-top/heavy bottom 10-52 on the Artcore, and I alternate between D'Addario 9-42s and EB 9-42s on the RX
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:02 PM

SS frets sound very bright, and not in a good way IMO, not for everyone.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
SS frets sound very bright, and not in a good way IMO, not for everyone.
Really? hmm I never tried them myself. I figured they would sound the same just last longer. Thanks for point that out. I'll look into it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM

As they are much harder they provide a distinct sound and feel over nickel. Plus the wire is much harder to work with making installation more expensive and less successful.

The best thing you can do for your fret life is frequent polishing and dressings. When the divots begin the increase exponentially.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

In an interview with Eddie Van Halen about the creation of the current EVH guitar, he claimed that there was absolutely no difference in the sound between SS and standard frets. At the same time, he claimed there were significant differences based on the woods used, type of finish on the guitar, how the pickups were mounted, etc.

I've personally never compared, but Eddie sounds like a pretty good authority.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Vendor

Of course you're going to wear what is a medium fret at best, much faster than you will the old jumbo's. And if you think the old jumbo's don't wear you are very sadly mistaken.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 37
Talking Re: Fret grooves/wear Jem 7VWH

i wonder how titanium frets would work out.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 4

WWGGD
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Ship the neck to me and I'll refret it.

And yes, the fret wire used today is sub standard by historic measures. Made in China crap prolly.
Have you ever fretted a Jem 7V and how much would it cost?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Of course you're going to wear what is a medium fret at best, much faster than you will the old jumbo's. And if you think the old jumbo's don't wear you are very sadly mistaken.
Im with you on that one Rich I had my 'JEM 7VWH' re-fretted with 'Dunlop 6000' fret wire several years ago, mainly because I didnt like the thinner fret wire that was on the '7VWH' , I was used to much thicker wire. Although I have not play the '7VWH' much these days (not as much as I used to) The fret wire is still in good condition with very minimal wear.
If you are thinking of re-fretting I would recommend the 'Dunlop 6000' fret wire or you could just get the frets taken down a touch and re-dresed.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgparker View Post
I was changing my strings yesterday and for the 1st time in my life noticed grooves on my frets. Especially on the 1st six or so frets so much that you can catch your fingernail in them. That's how deep. There's considerable wear all the way up to the 12th fret. The guitar is a Jem 7VWH and is a 2005. However I recently bought a 1988 Jem FP and it's frets are like flawless! What gives? True I play the white one a lot more but Geeez! Anyway, any suggestions on who to send it to to get refretted or should I order frets and take it locally. I live in Lake Havasu, AZ. Thanks for any ideas or replies

Get yourself the tools at StewMac To crown and polish the frets yourself. The frets still probably have plenty of life left. As someone said before you should have these tools in any case. Once the frets start to wear they wear quickly if not treated right away. Its a simple task.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...Fret_File.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sa...xst=3&xsr=2781

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...xst=3&xsr=2781

Tags
frets , jem 7vwh , refretted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode