full or semi scalloped necks for jems!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

full or semi scalloped necks for jems!!

what do you think about full or semi scalloped necks on jems or other guitars??do u use or hate??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:45 AM

If you are asking whether or not we prefer the Jem necks with the last four frets scalloped, I waould have to say I prefer them with the scallops. That makes it much easier to move about those upper frets.

If you're asking about whether or not you should scallop your existing Jem neck or switch your neck out for a scalloped one, well, that really depends. Have you ever played a scalloped neck before. If you are very heavy-handed and press down very hard, you may find it very hard to play an entirely-scalloped neck since the lower-register frets have more space in between them, it is easier to press the string down to far which results in the string going up to high in pitch. That problem could be alleviated by using a heavier gauge of string. In the upper register, the strings don't have as much give so it's not really a problem and the scallops give you a bit more room.

Mike777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 07:01 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 01:06 PM

I like playing scalloped necks and it also looks cool.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:48 PM

I like scalloping from 21 to 24 fret. But the whole neck? hmmmm. nope.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:09 PM

most people think tht you have to be extremely light handed when you play a scalloped neck this isnt entirely true. if you can play a jem with extra jumbo frets them you can prolly handle a scalloped neck. i only scallop 12 and up because i find that the scallops make it easier to hit those notes where the frets are close together, its just really easy to grab notes. but if you think scallops are going to make you faster dont get em they wont. and contrary to popular belief they will make you less accurate since you are not being forced to fret the string right up next to the fret. your playing will sound cleaner but you will have a hard time goung back to unscalloped necks. unless you feel you need it dont get it because it wont make you any better
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:16 PM

My understanding from luthiers and guitar techs alike has been that full-scalloping a traditional Ibanez or even most Jacksons for that matter removes enough wood to make them unstable.

I could be wrong...they could of just been fibbing to me...but it kind of makes sense; I've never seen a full-scalloped Ibanez or Jackson neck in real life or in pictures which leads me to believe that there's a good reason for it.

Yes...on the flip-side I've never seen a full-scalloped Gibson. But Gibson mods are also rarely done anyways.......I always hear mutterings and twitching about "Kahler and Floyd installations ruining a perfectly good guitar".
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:20 PM

I've seen a few fully scalloped Ibanezs on here.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:53 PM

Marshall harrison has many full scalloped ibanez guitars www.marshallharrison.com but you only get to see one of them its the intro to his site chaeck it out its a seven string. also he has several scalloped rgs and says they are fine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:42 PM

I'm not sure about that stability thing. I've never heard that about any guitar. Something to think about since that statement may very well have some validity. That would depend on the depth and density of the neck and the fingerboard.

A lot of guys also have this mindset that if it's not a Fen-Gib or some other American classic, it can't possibly be a good product. I guess labels and name engravings are specially impregnated with mystical powers that re-align the molecular structure of organic materials greatly increasing the structural integrity of any guitar. (Vent/Sarcasm)

Narrow-mindedness sucks.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:17 PM

I'd love to have a neck thats scalloped from 10 on up, maybe only on the high strings ala Billy Sheehan's bass but with normal looking scallops.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 02:07 PM

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarforceone
i only scallop 12 and up because i find that the scallops make it easier to hit those notes where the frets are close together, its just really easy to grab notes. but if you think scallops are going to make you faster dont get em they wont. and contrary to popular belief they will make you less accurate since you are not being forced to fret the string right up next to the fret. your playing will sound cleaner but you will have a hard time goung back to unscalloped necks. unless you feel you need it dont get it because it wont make you any better
I agree, completely
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMerkert
I like playing scalloped necks and it also looks cool.
so do i!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 12:15 PM

Ya know I have heard of this stuff, but what is it? I mean, I have seen pictures of it before, but I dont know what exactly people use it for. I'm guessing by looking at pics of it, that youcan press the fret down and get a lot of vibrato out of it. Is that all it's for? Or what exactly is the benefit of having the neck scalloped?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 02:59 PM

Vibrato is a very good thing about scalloped necks. It's a breeze with even the largest of strings. A buddy of mine put 14-70 strings on his YJM strat and he could play them easily, but all that stress started to bow the neck, so he took them off

Tags
billy sheehan , frets scalloped , guitar tech , high strings , ibanez guitars , jem neck , jumbo frets , scalloped neck , upper fret , upper frets , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode