G3 in Chicago 7/10 - G3 in Chicago 7/10 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

G3 in Chicago 7/10 - G3 in Chicago 7/10

G3 was really good. *John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy, what can i say? *they did the first cut off liquid tension experiment; first album, as their last tune! *oh man!

Steve was phenominal...effortless playing! *him and billy opened up with SHYBOY and it was insane! *they were note perfect. *billy's voice was good on it and yes, his tone was a little muddy. *john petrucci's bassist...forgot his name....his tone was killer! *and so was stu's! *

satch was really good as always! *

here is the cool stuff. *i made it backstage thanks to my brother. *steve signed my DNA guitar. *he was so mobbed by people. *it was me and my brother...he took the pictures. *the whole time i stood
right behind steve...about one foot away; right behind him for 1/2 hour. *i didn't
know what to ask him or whatever. *then i just said "hey steve" and he turned
around. *i told him i waited 14 years to meet him. *he went to sign the guitar and asked me BLACK INK OR SILVER? *i gave him both markers. *i asked what he thinks would be better and he said IT'S YOUR CALL MAN. *i said do it in black. *

so he signed his name on the DNA and then said YOU KNOW MY BLOOD IS IN THIS! *i said I KNOW. *

then he said, "MINE WAS STOLEN." *i said, i thought this one was as well (see DNA video post)

i asked him...didn't you have the DNA prototype? *he said YOU'RE RIGHT BUT I GAVE THAT TO GUITAR CENTER.
he had another one and it was stolen. *

then he said; YA KNOW, WHEN I DIE THIS WILL BE WORTH A LOT OF MONEY CUZ THEY WILL
CLONE ME FROM THE BLOOD OF THE DNA AND HOPEFULLY THAT NEW VAI'S MUSIC WILL FINALLY
BE PLAYED ON THE RADIO. *i told him we are doing what we can to get him on it.

so my brother took a couple photos of me with steve....i wish it was zoomed out cuz steve is
holding my DNA while standing next to me.

then he just left and i asked if i could get another shot and he said sure...but left...too many people. *caught up with him as they were roping off the area and i
heard steve say to security; only family up here. *i caught him as he was leaving. * i got my 2nd photo in and gave him my CD as a gift and that i played cuz of him. *i wanted to try to stress that i wasn't using him at all. *all i said is that i play cuz of him and that it was a gift and he is a wonderful person. *he said thank you and smiled. *that was that.

i asked him if he knew of jemsite and he said of course. *i told him that all the guys say hi. *he says hi back. *that was cool.

it was scatterbrain city. *everyone was tapping on his shoulder and saying STEVE STEVE can i get a photo, sign my hat, sign my book, i felt sorry for him. *i just
waited in the shadows till it was calmed down. *the look in his eyes looked like he was a little uncomfortable and i know how he is; he's shy. *it was weird.

billy sheehan was really cool. *he didn't talk much but was really nice. *he turned
me around and said LOOK INTO THE CAMERA RIGHT THERE and my brother took a shot.
then he said THANKS FOR COMING OUT. *

mike portnoy of dream theater (drums) was really cool. *i handed my brother's drum
head to him to sign and he said....looks like there is puke on it. *someone spilled
bear or something on it. *i said NO IT'S FINE SEE....as i wiped in on my shorts. *he
signed it and we said the typical geek fan thing....YOU'RE THE BEST MAN! *he said he
was glad we came out. *that dude is short...maybe 5'6"

joe satriani and john petrucci were nowhere to be found. *i wanted to meet them. *oh
well.

that is the news for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 03:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
G3 in Chicago 7/10

great stuff.

the shows at larger cities get hectic and i'd bet the aftershows @ NYC are like that... glen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 03:53 PM

G3 in Chicago 7/10

Quote:
Quote: from shredmaster on 4:08 pm on July 11, 2001

billy sheehan was really cool. *he didn't talk much but was really nice. *
Glad you had a good time. *G3 was incredible in Houston. *Billy was just the opposite at the aftershow in Houston. *We couldn't get him to shut up! * *It was a blast talking to him about the DLR days. *I think he stayed about 1 hour just talking with us until 1:30 in the morning. *He kept apologizing for his language because Greg's wife was there with us - especially when someone brought up the subject from an old 80's picture where his 'stage appearence' below the waist seemed a little 'overdone' (Derek Smalls?). *It was great! *Billy is an amazing guy and just floors me when he plays. *

Gabe
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 03:56 PM

G3 in Chicago 7/10

It was a great show. I was really expecting a special guest for the jam since there had been so many lately (Gilbert, Lukather, Gibbons, Johnson, Timmons, Schon), but even without it was a superb concert.

The mix wasn't the best and it was incredibly hot inside, but all three played great sets.

BTW, Virgil Donati smoked when given the opportunity. That guy is a freak of nature.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:23 PM

G3 in Chicago 7/10

The bass player with Petrucci is Dave LaRue. *One of my FAVORITES. *When I saw Steve Morse play I probably watched Dave more than even Steve! *He's amazing. *I'm still in shock from G3 in Denver. *Sheehan, LaRue, Hamm, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, and Portnoy all in one night. *Just kill me now, I've seen it all. *:-)

BTW, when Vai and Sheehan came out playing Shy Boy, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. *I still think Eat 'Em and Smile is one of the greatest albums of all time. *Sheehan is the "Vai" of bass and seeing those guys together again put a huge smile on face. *I think it's still there! *=8')

Please tell me they're filming that tour for a DVD!

Gary
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:16 PM

G3 in Chicago 7/10

Agreed. *It was an oven in there. *I'd seen other posts that Sheehan's sound was lousy at other venues, but it wasn't the case in Chicago. *

Steve was low in the mix for the 1st 2 songs, but that got fixed. *The onstage chemistry between Steve & Billy was phenomenal.

They stuck to Glen's previously posted set list, except replaced Crying Machine with Erotic Nightmares, & also did Down, Down, Down as the final encore.

EXCELLENT CONCERT!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 12:03 PM

G3 in Chicago 7/10

And no one has anything to say about Mr. Mike Keneally? For SHAME! MK played his ass off that night and I believe he broke a whammy bar on one of Steve's 90ham's....... MK came out to talk to us and had a beer with us in line, cool dude, and he's getting more & more people coming up to him everytime I see him. To me THAT'S cool too........
No one in line took me up on my offer ($50) to bring me
Michael (Batio) Angelo's wig....... *: (

John W

Tags
billy sheehan , joe satriani , john petrucci , mike keneally , mike portnoy , steve morse , virgil donati

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode