Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Vai the god of Sound 
#1 ·
I know this is an odd question, but maybe someone really can give me an useful advise.....
I just got the G3 video and there is this unbelievable solo by Vai in For the love of god. The part I'm referring to is this lightning fast ascending palm muted run, which is quite at the end of the song. ITS JUST IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANY HUMAN TO PLAY THAT FAST, AND HE IS EVEN PICKING EVERY SINGLE NOTE!!!!
People tell me practice, practice, and thats just what i'm doing, but I don't even come close to that.
So: does anyone know some really useful exercise for alternate picking, which doesnt consists only in boring chromatic runs?
I'd also be interested in tips concerning how to hold the pick or to move the right hand in order to get that speed.

I know that some of you Jem freaks are really good, but is anyone able to play THAT piece????HOW???---HELP ME!!!!!

#2 ·
i can play that one! one of my favourites for impression. , but i found that much of his other stuff is harder. i taught myself all of what impressed me by vai, and gilbert, etc. and like you said, you need practise, ....but even more, you need great desire to kick all that ass. the desire will be the ambition for the practise. it was for me. oh, and to play fast, you need total relaxation, but still a slight bit of tension for the speed. once you can master this zone of zen, you can do it!:)

#4 ·
IMHO........
petrucci's video will only make you fall asleep. get any paul gilbert video, he's a funny guy and he plays whatever petrucci can with one hand tied behind his back on a one string guitar (ok..i went a bit too far!!)

if you were impressed by that vai run, check the intro to mr big's colorado bulldog.

#6 ·
STRETCH!
thats my advice.

I never learned that song until last week and it is actually quite simple.
but you have to be limber.
the Petrucci vid is great for getting your dexterity in to shape. I have it but have only messed with it once.
You will be aching after you get it:)

#7 ·
I wouldn't get too upset, the G3 video features studio segments (audio) - that is - if it wasn't perfect live, Vai went back and "punched in" the "right stuff" in the studio. Someone here mentioned that it is part of Vai's live video deal or something of that nature. Just goes to show you how much of a perfectionist Vai is.

So, while he did play it, even Mr Vai can have a bad day - so don't expect perfection in every run.

I just watched that DVD last night, and while all the performances are stellar, I think they should fire the company that synched it - pay close attention and you'll hear and see what I am talking about.

#10 ·
jeffrey said:
That run isn't actually that tough.

The Petrucci video (no matter what any of these fools say) is actually helpful and the Gilbert video is very good and entertaining.

It really depends on your skill lvl.

You would probably enjoy both and get a lot out of them.
I have both videos, and I recommend both, mainly because variety in instruction and exercises (as long as they don't conflict) makes for a better player, IMHO.

#11 ·
We all know that he is somewhat a perfectionist, but from an "Anti-Vai", skeptical point of view, you'd think he couldve done it right the first time. (Don't get me wrong. I DO like vai. im just continuing the argument, if you will.)
I agree, although I agree for a different reason. I think a live video should be "live" - go figure.

I can only speak from one experience, but when Van Halen did "Live Without a Net" I was in the audience both nights - they took footage from both nights and mixed it together using only the best of the performances for the finished product. At the time they (VH) undoubtedly had a budget that probably exceeded G3's by about five figures.

Vai did the same thing on AIAUW, as is made evident by his comments about doing a song again and again ".....and then you can call me Bruce Springsteen."

However, I still prefer to see the artist in the raw form - it makes me feel better about my shoddy playing.

#13 ·
Haven´t seen the video, bit i can (sometimes)play the original so...i think you have to relax and play it slow. When you can play it perfectly increase your speed and...That´s it!For me, (apart from ballerina or alien water kiss,or things i have no gear to play)"the audience is listening was the harder one of PAW". That tertiary rithm...

#14 ·
It's not impossible to play that fast. I've seen and heard many players rip it at that speed, and some even faster!
You want scary picking? Check out the following:

-Paul Gilbert Videos (any and all)
-Shawn Lane Videos (any and all)
-Frank Gambale- mostly sweeps, but some cool "economy picking" stuff too.
-The Hellecasters (any). Fingerpicking, but some disgusting runs with hybrid picking.
-JP's video is indeed monotonous, but it's one of those 'practice, practice, practice' videos. Example 20 is the highlight for me. :) You'll also hear "Example 20" on Live W/O A Net (right after EVH switches to the Steinberger during 'I Can't Drive 55').

...I wish Ken Burtch put out a video....damn...

If you're a CD-ROM addict, I've heard that Rusty Cooley's got some speed exercises on his 3 CD-ROM's that can get ya up to speed (pun intended). I haven't seen the instructional CD's yet, but I will in about 10 days! :) His tracks on The Generation Ibanez Project- Across The Miles CD are sweet!

Then, when you're tired of playing 32nd notes (except for Shawn who hits 64th's occasionally), check out Chris Impelliterri. :) Kind of a one-trick pony, but damn...that's fast.

Kirk- I think I picked you out in the VH video. Are you the guy next to "the barefooted woman"? :)

#15 ·
Damn right man! get that video!

Get that paul gilbert video. sequences and techniques II...thats what got me upto speed... and that demented yngwie arrpeggio video, i remember first seeing that video, "now this is that lick, slow" SLOW>?! SLOW>!?! that guy doesnt know the meaning of the word...but yes, enough of that. Im telling you, plenty of people can play that kinda thing, it takes lots of ambition and practise thats all, and if you got a jem its easy on that nice thin neck...cheaper still a PGM300 is nice and i just got myself a PGM tenth...sustain is sweet.... so yeah, gilbert rules, anyone can play like vai can... (runs and hides) and yeah Rock on, practice, you can do it!

#16 ·
Re: Damn right man! get that video!

gilbertrules said:
anyone can play like vai can...
Thats what you think. Nobody really knows how good any of these guys really are. Remember that they at 70% (lower, or higher) of their capability on stage and for recording. Every player is different, so nobody can play like vai can. He invented a pile of **** too. His understanding for music is frankly(frank zappa-ly...lol) higher than anyone else. personally, speed means nothing in skill. its just a little incentive. so in other words, judging any player is pointless, for NUMEROUS reasons.(didnt mean to burn you if you were, man)

#17 ·
just kiddin, but your right , very true

hey man i was just kidding about vai, i just think his musics a little wierd... love satchs style though. Very true about every player being different, i guess no-one really can play exactly like anyone else, but one can always hope to imitate :)
All credit to Vai though, a musical prodigy, able to transcribe orchestral pieces by ear, and a fantastic instrument designer, good old jems...im quite fond of my UV too...
And yeah there are lots of other things that make playing so much more expressive than speed. I think alot of people focus on speed too much, forget about vibrato, tone, accents, and other such basic things.
So yeah, thanx for bringing that stuff up beef, alot of good points that people should pay more attention to.

rob 8O

#21 ·
hertfordshire!

Hertfordshire... dude! i didnt know other people out in the sticks with jems existed!

I recon Y.R.O is a funky tune, mainly cause of the obvious yngwie knock off vibe, but i just like the riff, and the random acoustic slipt second solo...on a good day, i can do that one :D

what CD is B.R.O on, ive never heard it... (under educated you see)

Rob 8O

#23 ·
what CD is B.R.O on, ive never heard it... (under educated you see)
you can download a segment of it on the pickup sound samples from dimarzio's website. www.dimarzio.com

dude, I was shocked ****less when I first heard b.r.o., mainly because I've played that piece (starting appx 20 seconds in) on piano about a year ago, and all of a sudden, I'm hearing coming out of my speakers on an electric guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.