GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN - Trem probs - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN - Trem probs

ok i have a 7vwh, and i'm going to be honest about it.
this guitar is heavenly, but......

when i pull up it raises slightly in pitch, *it's been doing this ever since i got it, *i thought it would just need time to settle in, but it's 4 months going on 5, *and it's still the same. *when the trem sitting normal it's perfectly in tune, when i dive and come back up, it's still perfectly in tune, but when i pull up and come back down it *raises in picth, the strings dno't go out of tune with each other but the pitch raises.

i've sanded the knife edges, tried setting the trem at various different angles, but it still does it. *i've at the tech pages many times and done exactly what it says then i took it to the the guitar tech that works at the guitar store that i work at, *and he has had a thought that the metal that the lo pro is made out of is too soft and thats the reason that it does'nt sit on the trem posts. *i didn't beleive it for a while but then when i actually thought about it, it all made sense, *so i'm going to ask ibanez for a new one.

has anyone else had this problem?

come on speak up cos i know how hard it is to say that something is wrong with your Ibanez Jem 7VWH.

if we all get it out in the open it'll be easier to combat.

just so you all know, *this is the nicest guitar i've ever played in my life, and i'm proud to say that i own it.

later.
swig.

PS. Don't tell me to go to the tech pages again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:31 PM

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

tighten the two screws on the back of the neck that hold the nut tight.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

hard luck j todd try again....
lol
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:51 PM

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

Quote:
Quote: from J Todd Beachler on 8:31 pm on May 17, 2001
tighten the two screws on the back of the neck that hold the nut tight.
so did you try this or not? *sanding the knife edges couldn't have helped. *are the trem post studs in place nice and solid?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 09:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

I hesitate to answer questions from people with an attitude... so consider this one free pass

Go over this thoroughly and report back... glen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:42 PM
Vendor

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

Have you pulled the trem and checked the knives? Sounds like a flat knife on the bass side.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:10 PM
Banned

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

swig,
I found out by experience with a few new IBanez Guitars I owned, and quite a few I have tryed that were friends and at dealers.
So many Have a problem with the knife edge as far as the new stuff??? *All I can say is that it's a nighmare! They are completely useless because they will not return to pitch. *And there are a lot of new ones out there with the same problem.
I just got a 88FP, it works perfect! And so does my 1990 PWH. Not one of my new ones worked close to my old ones I have.

Hope The problem gets taken care of properly.
RJ
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:30 PM
Vendor

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

RJ, that was the bug with the 2000 FP. I reported the problem to the right guy, he wasn't aware of it and he's going to be at the hardware factory in 2 weeks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:35 PM

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

This discussion came up quite a while back under "mysterious tremolo problem."

Since then I had the same problem with a lovely RG3220...it also stayed flat as well as sharp. *Went through the whole range of fixes with no improvement, knife edges were fine. *The local Ibanez certified tech had it and could not get it right either, so Hoshino suggested it be sent to them. *It came back worse (I suspect the store may have never sent it there), and had dings in the clearcote. *At that point I spoke with the manager who replaced the guitar. *More than you needed to hear.

Anyway...sounds like it could be the same issue, and it has apparently happend before. *I'd pursue geting it replaced...although they may want you to jump through the hoops first...send it to Bensalem, etc.
Greg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:36 PM

GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

My new 7vwh has had the same problem. at first it was just the post lock screws werent locked down, but then it came back about a few months later. I'm guessing i need new posts because i cant think of anything else that it could be. ive tried everything.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
GATHER ROUND AND LISTEN

This thread is now closed. It started bad, with a confrontation Subject title and tone. To make broad statements about 1988 vs 2000 is not happening in this thread.

The best thing about a NEW JEM is you can get it working under warranty. Good luck ... glen
Closed Thread

Tags
guitar tech , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode