G'day from down under... - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Re: G'day from down under...

Gday from Adelaide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Gday from Adelaide.

G'day Corey, hot enough over there? We only hit about 43*C over here (about ~110*F for the US crowd). I understand you guys hit like 47*C (~120*F) or something last week. Crazy!
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
G'day Corey, hot enough over there? We only hit about 43*C over here (about ~110*F for the US crowd). I understand you guys hit like 47*C (~120*F) or something last week. Crazy!
Yeah that was not fun,no air conditioning could cope...just shut down and threw in the towel. Hottest day ever in the city i heard. It's really not let up until today,finally a chilly 23*c....what a relief.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:56 PM

That FP is stunning, great collection
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
That FP is stunning, great collection

Thanks jim777, it came out of nowhere that one, she was a bit of a case queen so there isn't a lot of fading of the pickups or discoloration of the clear coat and there's very little corrosion on the trem. She came up on Gumtree one day and the seller lived down road from me, I paid $3500 AUD (~$2450 USD) didn't bother haggling on price and secured it within the hour. Apparently the guy had 12 offers within that time.

I was originally saving my money for a floral reissue, I was expecting a 30th anniversary edition to be released last year, but it didn't happen. I've spoken to a number of people who were expecting the same, maybe that's why the florals are selling a bit quicker now and at higher prices, in Australia anyway.

When I was looking for one a couple of years ago, a good quality floral was going for around $2800 AUD (~$2000 USD), but I saw one go last week for $4500 AUD (~$3200). In my opinion it was a missed opportunity by Ibanez, but then again I'm not an accountant, maybe it wasn't worth it to them. I was prepared to pay up to $7,000 AUD (~$5,000 USD) for a limited run floral anniversary, but instead I bought three other guitars and some equipment. I always wanted a first year floral, so I guess it worked out better for me in the end, so maybe I should say thanks Ibanez for not making an anniversary edition?

Cheers.

Last edited by pteropid; 02-09-2019 at 02:35 AM.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Wow, that's some serious displacement! Being a Q'y and also a Sandman that thing is definitely worth the love

I'm assuming from your username you have a UV7BK, damn nice guitars.
Its one of the few vehicles that no matter the condition, its worth investing in. Like Toranas, Monaros, GTs or Chargers....the cost of rebuild wont reach the selling price. But im not building it to sell. Being president of the sandman car club, i guess i should have one haha

Yes mate, im uv through and through...they just feel right to me
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

"Being president of the sandman car club, i guess i should have one haha"

Yeah, that kind of helps, lol

What year is the UV? Do you have any other UV's?

28 years after playing my first UV and I'm still a bit lost when I play. I'm determined to get my head around them though.

The UV77MC is my second favourite guitar of all time, after the JEM77GMC. I've only played an MC once and it felt overwhelming but solid and beautiful. I then handed it over to someone who could actually play it and it sounded fantastic. They need to be played loud so that you can really feel that extra bottom end. When I play mine it just sounds like mud, but hey I'll get there eventually.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 AM

That's a great collection you have there... Man, I hate looking at FP's... Just makes me want to kick myself in the head for selling mine...

Love your VBK too. I'd love to find one of those. If I ever do find one, I'd get it painted green like the LNG Jem. It would look amazing with the green vine IMO
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:32 PM

I would love another FP, but they don't come up for sale as often as you'd like. Plus I play mostly telecasters now
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:05 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
"Being president of the sandman car club, i guess i should have one haha"

Yeah, that kind of helps, lol

What year is the UV? Do you have any other UV's?

28 years after playing my first UV and I'm still a bit lost when I play. I'm determined to get my head around them though.

The UV77MC is my second favourite guitar of all time, after the JEM77GMC. I've only played an MC once and it felt overwhelming but solid and beautiful. I then handed it over to someone who could actually play it and it sounded fantastic. They need to be played loud so that you can really feel that extra bottom end. When I play mine it just sounds like mud, but hey I'll get there eventually.
yeah of late, Sandmans are taking over my life....its a cool thing though...meeting lots of like minded people...we're all nutters

I've had a stack of UVs in my time....moved most on but have a UV7SBK on hand. For me its the width and profile of the neck...just feels right. Wishing for an UVMC one day....one day
You'll get there man....determination is your friend
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
That's a great collection you have there... Man, I hate looking at FP's... Just makes me want to kick myself in the head for selling mine...

Love your VBK too. I'd love to find one of those. If I ever do find one, I'd get it painted green like the LNG Jem. It would look amazing with the green vine IMO

Hi Dutchie, Yeah sellers regret is a real thing for sure. I sold a 540PII in mint condition, one of the best guitars I ever played, ugly as hell but man did it have the nicest neck.

The VBK is my charity case her name is Betty (I know, I know, really imaginative name). I probably paid too much for it and I'll probably end up paying too much to restore it, but I still love it.

Interesting idea with the whole 777VLNG thing. I thought I would make a dodgy photoshop mock up to get an idea. (dodgy 2 minute photoshop attached for the lolz)

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 777VLNG.JPG (79.0 KB, 30 views)
Dutchie likes this.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I would love another FP, but they don't come up for sale as often as you'd like. Plus I play mostly telecasters now

Yeah, I've noticed that there are a lot fewer around lately, especially good ones. A lot of them seem to have that really bad yellowing of the clear coat too. My FP is mainly wall art (playable art is what I tell my wife) The VBK is my daily driver, the FP gets about 10 minutes a few times a week then a good clean. I remember how fast the cosmo black parts began to corrode in the older models, don't want it happening to mine.

I love me the sound of a good tele

I might post a couple of better pics of the FP if anyone is interested.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
yeah of late, Sandmans are taking over my life....its a cool thing though...meeting lots of like minded people...we're all nutters

I've had a stack of UVs in my time....moved most on but have a UV7SBK on hand. For me its the width and profile of the neck...just feels right. Wishing for an UVMC one day....one day
You'll get there man....determination is your friend

The UV7SBK is the limited run, blacked-out one isn't it? How'd you manage to get hold of one of those down under, bit of a score I reckon!

I'm trying to spend at least an hour a week playing the Universe. I've blocked the trem and dropped the low B to A which has made it a bit more friendly to the ear, but I still keep plucking the wrong string. I think I instinctively gauge the string positions for my right hand by the feel of the low B string at the base of my thumb/palm, so my right hand is always in 6-string mode, whereas my left is in 7-string mode, Doh!

Sounding a little less like mud lately though, which is nice.

Last edited by pteropid; 02-20-2019 at 05:09 AM. Reason: grammar
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Just thought of something.

Does anyone else have names for their guitars? My wife thinks I'm weird!

77FP = Hana (I think it's Japanese for 'floral')
777VBK = Betty (pretty obvious... ...Bambalam)
350FM = Reggie (RG, was also my grandad's nickname)
JEMJR = Junior (wow, lots of thought there)
UV70P = The Universe (no-one truly understands the universe as a whole, I know I certainly don't)
EXB404 = The bass (Man, the depth of my imagination staggers me sometimes...)
Roadster = Frankenfurter (It's in pieces and pretty much the body is the only part that hasn't come from another guitar)
Acoustic = The Stagg (spoken in the way Jeremy Clarkson says the "The Jaaagg"), side note: I've actually owned that one for over 40 years.
Kramer Pacer = Frankenstein (it's painted like EVH's original, which is technically not Frankenstein but whatever)

All of them have their own wall space which makes me realise that my wife is really very tolerant.
Dutchie likes this.

Last edited by pteropid; 02-20-2019 at 05:11 AM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Hi Dutchie, Yeah sellers regret is a real thing for sure. I sold a 540PII in mint condition, one of the best guitars I ever played, ugly as hell but man did it have the nicest neck.

The VBK is my charity case her name is Betty (I know, I know, really imaginative name). I probably paid too much for it and I'll probably end up paying too much to restore it, but I still love it.

Interesting idea with the whole 777VLNG thing. I thought I would make a dodgy photoshop mock up to get an idea. (dodgy 2 minute photoshop attached for the lolz)

Cheers
Here's Vai's. I think it looks amazing....

jim777 and vy100 like this.

Tags
777vbk , 77fp , jemjr , new member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode