Gearless Tuners question (help?) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Question Gearless Tuners question (help?)

Right,

i've read the posts i found but couldn't seem to find this out.

If i put Steinberger Gearless Tuners on my Ibanez, could it replace the locking nut? which would be better?

Cheers,

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 PM

Re: Gearless Tuners question (help?)

It will not replace the locking nut. Locking nuts and locking tuners do not accomplish the same thing
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:16 PM

IIRC, Vai's tech installed these and he hated it so much he insisted they be removed.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

so, what is the advantage of the locking tuners?
And are they pointless with a locking nut?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe11 View Post
so, what is the advantage of the locking tuners?
And are they pointless with a locking nut?
Locking tuners help tuning by eliminating string slippage. There's no wrap around necessary and the lock holds the end tight. This is pointless with a double locking system because the locking nut cuts the tuners out of the picture. The string can't slip past the locking nut so whether or not they slip at the tuners is irrelevant. The only advantage you would gain is quicker string changes
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
IIRC, Vai's tech installed these and he hated it so much he insisted they be removed.
thats odd, for someone who hated them so much he used them for almost a year, and even on tour on flo for quite awhile. I think he stopped using them because they were impractical.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1 View Post
thats odd, for someone who hated them so much he used them for almost a year, and even on tour on flo for quite awhile. I think he stopped using them because they were impractical.
Yeah, what exactly is the point of 40:1 ration tuners on a guitar with fine tuners? And I doubt setting up a locking trem with tuners that barely change the pitch is easy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 PM

I believe if you search for previous threads on this subject, of which there are quite a few, the general consensus is that they're more of a fashion statement on a guitar with a locking trem. Because as you've already noted, they don't provide any benefit on a double locking system.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Like has been said before, the only advantage of locking tuners in conjunction with a locking nut is quicker string changes. However, if you use locking tuners in conjunction with a roller nut then you don't have to mess with the locking nut, and it is relatively easy to set up a locking trem using the locking tuners even though they have the 40:1 ratio. I have numerous guitars that use the steinberger tuners in conjunction with a roller nut and a ZR trem. It is an awesome setup IMHO.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsdds View Post
Like has been said before, the only advantage of locking tuners in conjunction with a locking nut is quicker string changes. However, if you use locking tuners in conjunction with a roller nut then you don't have to mess with the locking nut, and it is relatively easy to set up a locking trem using the locking tuners even though they have the 40:1 ratio. I have numerous guitars that use the steinberger tuners in conjunction with a roller nut and a ZR trem. It is an awesome setup IMHO.
Funny you should mention that, I was considering using the Steinberger Locking tuners with an LSR roller nut and a Gotoh Wilkinson trem.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 PM

I'm not sure how well that would work. I don't believe that a wilkinson trem is a locking trem. If it isn't the strings would only be locked at one end so I'm not sure of the tuning stability. I do know that it works great with a locking trem though. Good luck, you will love the steinberger tuners if you have never used them before.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 05:23 AM

Personally I'd use locking tuners with absolutely any set up. Unless you're a great fan of pointless time wasting and aching wrists, Schallers and the like make the whole experience faster and less unpleasant.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Gearless tuners are great. the 40:1 ratio is not a mess at all, at the contrary, it's the perfect ratio. you must consider that the string doesn't wind around the peg, it just flips thru it, and the peg "drags" it down while you turn the gear. it takes about 2 turns to raise 1 step. also, they're as smooth as the amazing Grover Rotomatics, very sturdy and precise... Deutch style
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:13 PM

I agree wholeheartedly!! The gearless tuners aren't necessary with a locking nut but they sure make changing strings painless. To me it is worth the extra money to save time and hassle. I think they look pretty cool too!!

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode