Getting used to thin wizard necks - fat necks vs thin necks, - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Getting used to thin wizard necks - fat necks vs thin necks,

I just recently picked up a Jem 7DBK. *I love the guitar, and I think it sounds and plays great. *I am finding that the thin wizard neck is taking some getting used to though. *Has anyone else experienced this "transistional phase" with wizard necks? *I used to play mainly Fenders, and the neck on my strat vs the Ibanez is like night and day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:34 AM

Getting used to thin wizard necks

Absolutely! it's a completely different playing experience. I had to learn to relax my left hand technique and lighten up quite a bit when changing from baseball bat and boat necks to the wizard neck shape. It took a while, but I'm a better player for it today. Well worth the effort... but don't push it - if your hand cramps up, stop playing for the rest of that day!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 12:21 PM

A Wizard type neck certainly will take some getting used too after a standard Fender neck. I was actually considering a new DBK before I bought my s/h VWH. I liked the look and the sound but couldn't ever see myself getting used to that wafer thin Wizard profile. I personally prefer the slightly fatter profile of a Jem neck. but even this took some time to adjust to after my Strat. You may well have to alter certain aspects of your technique like Jimi D says but do stick with it!!

Have Fun

Matt
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 02:13 PM

Wizards are a little too thin, in my expirience.
I like to "anchor" my thumb like I do on my other guitars, and with the wizard, it's more difficult.

But if it weren't a wizard for my seven string, I would have more problems adapting to the wider neck of the seven string.

Once adapted, the wizard neck works just fine

Joten
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:46 PM

I have always played thin neck guitars....my first couple guitars and my VWH now, are all thin neck guitars. *Although I can't relate to your situation exactly -- I can relate to it in the reverse direction....my friends almost always put me on the spot to play something cool and they always hand me a Fender or a Gibson. *While I was still able to pull off the same riffs...it didnt feel very comfortable, or enjoyable to me. * On the other hand, playing RG's with Wizard necks at the store has always been a treat. *I suspect a lot of your playing habits are already geared towards a fatter neck...and as good of a guitar as these Jems are, I wish everyone luck in their transitional phases, because yes, they do exist, and yes, they can be frustrating!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the response and encouragement * *I love the new guitar and will definitely put forth the effort to comfort myself with the wizard neck. *Its already feeling pretty effortless, but just some minor modifications I need to iron out like Jimi D mentioned. *Hell I might even just end up using the Jem for most stuff and my Fender for standard chord progression tunes around first -second position *:P
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 11:39 PM

I think the wizard is needlessly small. It just hurts tone and any smaller than a JEM neck isn't making anything faster or easier.
I pretty much hate wizard necks and will never own a guitar with one on it. Even if it was a VWH. Thanks Ibanez/Vai for the JEM neck though. It's just right. Like the last bowl of porridge.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 03:29 AM

Hey, you wanna talk about getting used to a neck from Gibsons and Fenders? *LOL....try the UV777BK! *Jeeeezzzz...talk about night and day! *It didn't take TOO long to get used to it, but let me tell you, once you go thin neck, you never wanna go back! *It's well worth the transition period....and I think any high-end model of Ibanez outclasses any Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc etc that is twice it's price....but, to each his/her own....just my opinion!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 12:05 PM
rvj

When I first got my 7VWH, it took a while to get used to. The neck on my DNA is even thinner. I would play my Les Paul and Ovation then pick up the 7VWH. OUCH!!! Those hand cramps were painful, but now I'm used to it. Not to mention that Les Paul never gets played anymore.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 08:38 PM

Wizard necks absolutely suck IMO. Why would you want one!? The JEM neck is small enough. Flat back and just big enough so you don't lose tone through it. The wizard neck is so wimpy. There is definately some tone lost through it and they warp from climate alterations. They are really annoying.

JEM necks are beautiful. Every JEM should have them.
Screw wizards.

(and what happened to mail notifications of replies?)
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 07:16 AM

Quote:
quote trouble311:

and I think any high-end model of Ibanez outclasses any Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc etc that is twice it's price....
I would say that a when you buy a Jem, you give at least 1000$ For the name only. When you think about it, the pickups isnt very expensive, a lo pro is about 300$ worth, and the rest is just a modded rg body and a jem neck. But, they are indeed gr8 guitars.. *Im thinking about a DBK, and i have a strat too right now , so we'll see about that wizard thin neck...
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 10:15 AM

I'd rather look into a used FP or something. Wizard is needlessly small as i've said before.

THe DBK is great playing although I have no clue what breeds are like other than what I have read.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 02:25 PM

You know...this would seem painfully obvious...but every seems want to air their opinions....so here is mine....Opinions Vary....you really can't say, "This neck is too thin, or this one is too thick"....it's totally up to each player....I think everyone knows that and feels that way. *I like the wizard necks, I like the Jem necks, I like Les Pauls....but you know what....my personal favorite is the ultra thin neck on my Jem 777VDY....wanna talk about a thin neck....try one of those some day!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 10:17 PM

Sure like what you want...BUT
The facts are:
#1 You lose tone through thinner necks
#2 Those necks can warp slightly over the seasons and cause action problems.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Umm, any neck made of wood is going to warp over the course of seasons. *Thats why most all necks have truss rods.

Tags
chord progression , fretboard radius , fretboard wood , guitar playing , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , les paul , les pauls , music store , neck scale , neck shape , string necks , thicker necks , thin wizard neck , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode