Gibson ES-335 vs. JEM7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Gibson ES-335 vs. JEM7VWH

I would love to hear some opinions on these two vastly different guitars. Which do you like better if you were to purchase one and why? (By the by, I am speaking of a newer model 335 with classic 57' humbuckers, and a JEM with an ebony fretboard 03' model.) Try to be omniscient if you can, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:14 PM

Eeeer, this is kinda like what do you prefer, Skiing or drinking beer !!! but to answer the best i can

I'd get the 335 first then a JemVWH but neither can be at all compared to the other

Rob
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM

I like steak.

I also like ice cream.

Which do you prefer and why?

Guitars are like tools. If you want a complete toolbox, it's good to have a hammer, a few screwdrivers, a few wrenches, etc. Asking whether you prefer a hammer or a wrench is kind of pointless... they do different things, and each does its intended job very well.

And which you should buy first depends on the kind of work you're going to be doing with your tools. For some people, the hammer might be the best first choice, for others, it might be the screwdriver. Only you can make that determination for yourself.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 04:55 PM

I'd take the ES-335
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 05:19 PM

Have you been watching the G3 with Johnson by any chance?

Chalk or cheese?....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 05:42 PM

Personally, I'd take a 355 over a 335 any day of the week and all the nights. Not too much more money (and sometimes less), and that nice ebony board. If you can find one an ES-347 is a lot like a 355, but with the hotter pickups and no stereo option.
What's more, I'd also get an Ibanez AR-200 or AR-180 over a 335, too. Then there are the late 70's Artists, like the 2630 I'd also take over the 335. I might take a 2630 over an AR-200, come to think of it. There's the new Scofield model, the JSM-100. Pretty much the same as an '81 AR-200. So, what I'm telling you is don't waste the money on a 335 when you can get a much better execution of the 335 concept for the same or less money. I know Yamaha made a fine version but I don't remember the model number off hand.

Now to answer your original question, you need one of each. Then get a Tele and an ES-175.

jim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 1
Lets compare apples and moon rocks...
If you need a 335 style guitar get it, if you want a jem styled guitar get that. You'll run into feedback issues with a 335 style body, or most hollow bodies for that matter. Nature of the beast, so you need to account for that. A jem is a VASTLY different animal that I think most of us are aware of.

Why did you opt for such a diverse comparison?

Bamm
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
I know Yamaha made a fine version but I don't remember the model number off hand.
SA2100 and SA2200 (the latter being more recent and having a flamed top). Both very fine guitars. I understand there was also an SA2000 but have never seen one.

The SAs have push/push tone pots that split the humbuckers. Very neat.

Tags
ebony board , ebony fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode