GMC custom a reality!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

GMC custom a reality!!

I'm spilling over with excitement so I just have to announce this... my seller came through and I'm purchasing a Jem 777VBK that I'm going to send right over to Herc Fede for a GMC swirl!(@*&!(*@&

This is eventually going to become my main axe, the guitar I've always wished for. I'm not a collector but I can't think of any other Jem I'd want to own, and now its become a reality. I don't even have to use my fallback plan of getting an RG550 and changing the body!

I will DEFINITELY send some links for pics for everyone once the project is completed. Thank Ronnie in Virginia for making the VBK available to achieve this And thanks to Jemsite for the info and contacts that helped me realize this'd be possible in the first place!

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

... <eerie silence>...

Is what I'm about to do sacrelige? Will I offend the Jem gods by turning an original VBK into a GMC?

I've thought that, considering how relatively easy it is, one might think I could become a scumbag and resell it for a much higher value, but once Herc swirls it, only three things could pry it out of my hands... my wife, Vai, and GOD.

Anyway, tomorrow I take the plunge...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:32 AM

Congrats on your upcoming project. It's not sacrilege...heck, a GMC basically IS a swirled VBK - if Ibanez can do it, so can you. Just get the green/black pickups.

Personally, I'd probably go for a more interesting swirl than green/black, but if it's what you always wanted, then go for it! I love Herc swirls - make sure you put up some pics (as if you wouldn't )

~K
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 11:45 AM

Well...I would have used a Floral Print.

Seeing as how there are "only" 777 of the LNG around.

Honestly, I was thinking of doing the exact same project, but I narrowed
it down to using a FP.

Do what you must my man! It's YOUR guitar. Just take good care of it
and play it well and it will be worth more to the world then a 777 stuck
in a closet somewhere.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

My mind is at ease, gentlemen, thanks... its cool to see we've similar ideas about styles... "not necessarily what I'd personally go with (FP / other swirl), but hey, if you treat it well and honor the quality of the guitar itself, go nuts!" .. that's exactly what I plan to do.. minimum half an hour a day of practicing, at least an hour on Sat / Sun, and I may well have 3 or so promo tunes on mp3.com by Christmas

Most of my practicing now is actually done on an acoustic Dean model that my wife bought awhile back... once I switch to electric if I have a Vai or Satch part nailed I have no idea what will happen...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:58 PM

Reviews: 30
I love GMC's. And I'll be da*ned if I don't get one (or have a custom swirl done) in the future. It's been a dream of mine. It all seems to be coming along too, now that I've started with a UV. The GMC will probably be on my other RG7. Must see pics when completed. Good luck man!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:06 AM

Raven hes not talking about a LNG . Hes talking about a vbk, black with green vine inlay.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 08:01 AM

It's a very good idea Alex!

Congrat and be quick for the picture...
JS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 12:15 PM

Sounds like a very cool idea. Go for it! Make sure we all get to see it as soon as you got it in your hands, ok?

Tags
black pickups , custom swirl , gmc swirl , herc fede , herc swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode