Going to be the proud owner of a Universe! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Going to be the proud owner of a Universe!

I'm so excited! I have thought they were the coolest guitars for such a long time it's great to know I will finally own one. I got it off eBay and it is a 9 out of 10 with light pick scrathches. It comes with original case and I got it for under a grand. I'm so happy. I hope everything goes well with the exchange and what not. Oh by the way it's a UV777BK. I will get to join the ranks of Jem and Universe owners. Yea!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 10:57 AM

Congratulations! Play the pyramids off it!

jim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:46 PM

nice one. in my opinion the nicest looking of all steve's signiture guitars, and of course the only UV with the AANJ.

Have fun with it
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the guitar today. It's in GREAT condition. However it is a little dirty and and bridge is sunk back way into the body. So I'm going to clean set this beauty up and then guitar playing madness will ensue. It looks so cool!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:53 PM

Hey congrats man welcome to the club! and yeah play the hell out of these pyramids!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:28 PM

Congrats man!!!

Congrats man
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:48 PM

Congrats!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Well after playing it for a day I have realized that it is one of the coolest guitars that exists. The low B has given my ideas and options that I don't have on my six strings. The neck is pretty big though. That's ok, but it's something I will have to get used too. A first I thought maybe the pickups weren't all that great but when I played on it for an hour or so last night I changed my mind. They fit me pretty well. I also noticed that my technique is a little cleaner as well. That's probably because I'm able to play as fast right now on the thicker neck. So it causes me to play more even at a slower tempo. That's good though because it will help kick my technique into shape. All I can say now is that anyone who wants a seven string, I suggest getting one of these because my Universe is one of the coolest guitars I have ever played on.

I hear people criticize seven string guitars by saying they are pointless and that you can just get a baritone guitar and it will be the same. I disagree 100%. Baritone guitar's will bive you the low but take away the high. I'm keeping my RG3120 and an old Charvel I have but I probably won't buy any other player 6 strings. At least while I still like my UV (which hopefully is a really long time).

Also the thing that makes me so happy with this guitar is that I have wanted one for so long. They were always too expensive though. And they are the coolest looking guitars out there. I'm thinking of trading my RG 570 for a 7620 or something because I would like a backup 7 just in case. Well thanks for reading and if anyone thinks they want a 7 string, check this guitar out. It's cool!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 07:28 PM

thats the problem when you buy a seven, start liking it very much, then cant imagine yourself on 6-ers anymore... there are so many axes that i'd love to have, but the fact they only have 6strings is something i just cant bear anymore! like the carvin holdsworth model, or parker flys for instance.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Well after playing it for a few more days I have still not gotten completely used to it. Both hands hurt a little after playing But I think that's because I have never had to stretch my hands like this before. I think I will start actually practicing on it instead of just jamming. How long did it take some of you to get used to your Universes?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 04:28 PM

i've only played UV's in shops, but i found i got used to them pretty quickly. But then of course i had learnt some seven string songs specifically so i could have something to play when i tried a UV.......

...i will have one soon.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 08:47 PM

Reviews: 1
it was a good week before i got fully accustomed to that neck. Compared to the rg7 necks, that thing is like grabing onto a utility pole. I had the same problems with hand soreness but it didnt last very long. Now, unfortunately, i wont touch any other guitar in my home other than the UV. I cant even walk by the thing without picking it up in some way. After a couple of months, I'm stil undecided about those pickups. I'll wait until i plug the thing into a proper amp to make a judgement on those. Otherwise, its my dream guitar.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

What color is the whammy bar supposed to be? Mine's chrome, but I thought they were all supposed to be black.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 03:32 PM

Thought they were all black too,but the old stylee jackson/charvel ones do fit(ish) they come in chrome,Maybe thats it ?

And big congrats on the new axe dude

Regards

Rob

Tags
baritone guitar , guitar playing , lee jackson , parker fly , seven string guitars , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode