Gold plating a JS - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
YJM

Gold plating a JS

Saw this custom shop auction on eBay just now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1494877269

I then started having this crazy idea of buying a JS1000 and gold (well, or copper) plating it!

What do you say? Hmmmmm...

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 09:41 PM

Gold plating a JS

I actually just purchased a new RG570 which I'm planning to have plated.....if I have the guts. I'll probably play it as is for a couple of weeks and then take it apart.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
YJM

Gold plating a JS

That sounds mad! A mirror-like finish RG570! Hope you get around to doing it. Be a man! Yeah? I'd also spray paint the pup covers with chrome.

-Bill
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 10:51 AM

Gold plating a JS

Just think... a Goldboy!

Eric
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 04:56 PM

Gold plating a JS

Quote:
The guitar must be a solid body type. It must have a bolt-on type of neck(no set necks, no neck thru types) The body must have a factory or equivanlent finish(no raw wood bodies) The body should be in good or better shape as any nicks, or dings etc. will likely come through in the final metal coating. And we will not be responsible for irregularities.
Quite limiting really.
Makes me think they are a bit unprofessional, or most likely, just happy to stick with what they know and have done before...

If I'm getting a custom finish done I don't like someone telling me what I can and can't do, if they can only cater to a certain criteria then they're not very pro.
Pass it up, they sound like cowboys, or at least, very annoying people, at worst they have never heard of filler and sandpaper.

Steve

P.S. This is an ebay link and is in the wrong area.
Also do a forum search, these guys have been talked about before.

(Edited by ripl3y at 4:59 pm on Dec. 15, 2001)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 05:25 PM

Gold plating a JS

The problem with this type of plating, and the reason it needs to be a flawless finish is this. *Any form of metal plating like this is very thin. *Any marks in the finish, will show through. *the entire body needs to be flawless, body filler, even when sanded flush, will not come to the high gloss that the painted body will. *Body filler is a porous material,that is why you have to prime it first, you can't paint directly over fill or it will look dry all the time.* So, they would have to fill, sand, prime, paint, and polish the body first, or you will have flaws in it. *
That is a time consuming process and would likely need to be done off sight from the plating shop. *If you've ever been in any high end plating shop, there is no grinding rooms or anything that are in the same area as the plating rooms. *When you do plating, you do not want any dust anywhere. *if you have a prep area, you have dust, that makes it difficult. *It's like sanding down the body in your spray booth, you can do it, but you'll end up with dust in your paint. *
Having said that, until I actually see one of these bodies, I'd be nervous, the price is exceptionally low for plating something that size. *I would love to see how they do it to start with! *it is hard to plate anything that isn't a metal surface, so doing a guitar would prove difficult, it's doalbe, I just wonder about the longevity of the finish. *

Jeremy

(Edited by littlegreenman at 5:26 pm on Dec. 15, 2001)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:52 PM

Gold plating a JS

if there's a goldboy to be made...i'll be the one to make it!

(though I don't think I'll do the electroplating...)

Good Luck whatever you decide!

Ahem.. Goldboy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Gold plating a JS

#Moderation Mode

I've just moved this to the Buy, Sell, Auction + Reseller area as ripl3y suggested as it does contain an ebay link.

Can folks please carry on the discussion there.

Thanks guys,

jono

<a href="http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic.cgi?forum=10&topic=480" target="_self">Moved here</a>
Closed Thread

Tags
custom shop , neck thru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode