Goodbye VWH - custom project - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Goodbye VWH - custom project

Well... I got bored, so I thought I'd fill you in on my latest project.

A picture says a thousand words... so...

Here's the story now.

My 7VWH was real beat up, had some bad gashes in the body, which looked ugly (not going to get into how those got there). *So I decided to strip the paint off it. *I'm also replacing the pickups with DiMarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton... which will both be direct-mounted. *I am going to replace the 5-way switch with a strat style 3-way (Neck - both humbuckers - bridge). *The single coil will still be installed for looks, but left out of the wiring. *I am going to do some other setup tricks, but they are secrets

Unless there is a serious setback, project should be done by Friday night. *I'll post results. *Don't crucify me for this. *:biggrin:

(Edited by jay ratkowski at 11:58 pm on April 27, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:16 AM

Goodbye VWH

One thing I will say is you've got guts if you can do that to such a beautiful guitar and not need therapy afterwards.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:31 AM
Vendor

Goodbye VWH

Somebody's not getting laid enough!! ME!!! :biggrin:
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:37 AM

Goodbye VWH

Jay,

Is the DNA next?

Rick
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 06:26 AM

Goodbye VWH

Instead of giving you a WTF did you do that for....i'm going to speak my mind. :innocent:

Jay I say go ahead and do whatever you want with the guitar, afterall it's your's!

What paint scheme are you going to adopt? I think a bad horsie scheme would look fine! Black pickguard....sweet sweet! Or are you going for a swirl or something along those lines? Or here's another idea a relic replica of Steve's personal EVO, complete with the strategically places dings and dongs. :thumbsup:

Power to you with the change of pickups, I personally dislike the sound of Evos...please no flames I'm not saying they suck, just that they're a tad bit too harsh for my liking. How are the new pickups? I'm going to do a similar mod for my jem90....nah no wacky finish destruction here guys...just a pickup change.

Whatever it is I wish you only the best!

Chris.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 06:53 AM

Goodbye VWH

good luck with the project

post pics on here when you are done

Bad horsie mark 2 would be good

best wishes

Simon
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 06:57 AM

Goodbye VWH

on second thoughts instead of bad horsie 2 how about

a black and white (and gold?) swirl (see-thru pickguard of course) i think that would look great with the black/white vine neck and gold hardware!

I think Herc had something similar on his site

Cheers

Simon
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 07:57 AM

Goodbye VWH

Hey Jay! ~ Have fun man - there's plenty of VWH's left in the world for those who want one, anyway

re: the new pickup config ~ if you're going to do such an obviously radical and comprehensive reworking of the guitar anyway, why not buy a new pickguard with holes only for the humbuckers - you could even have them add little "screw driver" cutaways on each side of the HB holes so that you can adjust your direct-mount pups easily... just a thought...
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 12:43 PM

Goodbye VWH

Maybe its just me, but I always wished there was a 6 string version of the UV777BK, or else a 7DBK minus the texture and plus vine or pyramid inlays. *I would paint that thing black and slap on a mirrored pickguard, then the headstock would probably need to be black...and the gold might have to be swapped for chrome...oh, nevermind, thats too much trouble.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 01:07 PM

Goodbye VWH

Oh, the horror, the horror!!! :idunno:
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:11 PM

Goodbye VWH

Hey Jay, I suggest you drop the single coil 'cosmetic' idea altogether. *Doesn't that just get in the way anyway? *I'd recommend a Jeannie pickguard with the single coil removed.

Gabe
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:30 PM

Goodbye VWH

That picture looks like something that you'd see on those Faces of Death movies! Your going to give me nightmares!

Hey chris chen, what p/u's are you putting in your 90? I put an evolution in my jackson and it sounds different from my jem90's evos. I think it sounds a little better in the jackson! I thought about experimenting by putting the jackson's evo in my 90 and see what happens...

Mike

(Edited by pierce at 5:36 pm on April 26, 2001)
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 04:46 PM

Goodbye VWH

DAMN!!!!! looks like a picture that should have a ransom note attached to it.:rotf:
Good luck man, can't wait to see it finished.:thumbsup:
Alden
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:38 PM

Goodbye VWH

Jay, You can do what you want to your VWH. That photo kinda’ makes me ill though. Did you have to post that?

Want to hear something funny… and I’m not kidding! Two nights ago I had a vivid dream that you left a beat up VWH at some kind of guitar camp or something that some of us were at. I was playing it for a while and you came and took it because you decided you wanted to repaint and mod it. There was also a really worn out 555 there. I did not see this thread before I had the dream.

I have weird dreams that parallel things in my life sometimes. It’s probably nothing though. One night I dreamed that Rich was a famous guitar hero from the 70’s and played in a band with a guy named “Winston Fink”... I wonder what that was all about?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 09:08 PM

Goodbye VWH

I just would not have the nerve to do that too such a serously expensive, beautiful guitar.

Tags
air norton , beautiful guitar , black pickguard , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , mirrored pickguard , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , steve vai , strat style , tone zone , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode