Got MESELF A BRAND NEW JEM7VWH! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Got MESELF A BRAND NEW JEM7VWH!

Indeed , Just bought my first jem, After months and months of guitar shoppin. but I just cant play it! im afraid it will get dirty and the gold will fade.. im putting it in its uv1000c case and just look at it..

this axe got one of the best vine i've seen, all shiny and clean

ho my..anyone have an advice on how to just grab this thing and play it?

im going to look at it for a while

be right back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:51 PM

Mate,

Guitars are made to be played. They won't make music by themselves.

Whether or not you touch it, it will fade, and the metal will fade as well, so might as well be the cause of this rather than an observer.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Vendor

If you take a hammer and smack it on the front you'll never worry about playing wear again
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
Mate,

Guitars are made to be played. They won't make music by themselves.

Whether or not you touch it, it will fade, and the metal will fade as well, so might as well be the cause of this rather than an observer.
Heheh, ye i know, i was just joking about that part;-)

i heared that if you wipe the gold finish every time you finish playing it should help keep the gold coating
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If you take a hammer and smack it on the front you'll never worry about playing wear again
you have a point

Im gonna read your tech section, need to do some setup tweaking on it...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:50 PM

congratulations of the guitar, now get it out of the case and play it!

....although i do know what you mean, i find myself just sitting and staring at my UV777BK sometimes......
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:52 PM

Yep, if you wipe the trem after each use you can postpone the fading of the gold. Just make sure you use a clean cloth each time.

It will still fade though.

Here's a pic of the trem on my 10 year old RG570. This has even seen the salty air from a couple of harbour cruises, smokey pub air, and humid parties.

(click on the pic to open a larger pic in a new window)

Notice the pitting and slight fade on the 6-4 saddles.
Wiped after every use.

Granted my hands don't really sweat that much.

OH, and CONGRATS on your new baby!!!! Enjoy her muchly. I'm sure you will

wil..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Hey Wilch, for a 10 year old trem, it looks great! you can hardly see it fading. I will clean all the hardware after each play (wich i did with all my strats also, out of habit), hope it should keep it new for years to come.

but you know how it is, that clean rage is over in a few weeks after spending so much cash on this axe naturally you worry about those things..will pass/calm with time

And thanks! i will sure play the **** out of it

Im gonna browse the tech/setup section to find out how to clean the Ebony fretboard and some other usefull stuff!

thanks
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:45 PM

Just put a small scratch in it somewhere on the back, or strap it on and dance around a bit, letting your belt buckle do it work . . .

You won't care about a few blems here and there after that. :-)

Maybe some day I'll get to post something like this . . .

Naa, I like the Wizard necks better, small hands and all. ;-)

Mic
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:51 PM

IMO wear is a good thing. Look and meditate on the pics of Steve's EVO guitar. Maybe you'll feel less timid about making your guitar dirty.

Then again, EVO is falling apart, so don't take these the wrong way!

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpa...EVO_index.html

The only thing better than a Jem is a broken in Jem. Or 28 DNA's in your living room. Either is good.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehYam
The only thing better than a Jem is a broken in Jem. Or 28 DNA's in your living room. Either is good.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Vendor

[should have been 30]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 01:01 AM

couldve been 2 and that still wouldve been more than i can say....
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 04:24 AM

Congrats dude! i got my brand new 7vwh 2 monthes ago, and i was afraid like u, i still am sometimes! but hey we bought it to play the hell out of it! and for the bridge color fading, it all depends how u put ur palm on the guitar, i usually rest it on the strings! and i wipe it thoroughly after finishing playing! and btw, i was at a concert and a stupid guy threw beer on it and it was all soaked! but it survived!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredseventh
Congrats dude! i got my brand new 7vwh 2 monthes ago, and i was afraid like u, i still am sometimes! but hey we bought it to play the hell out of it! and for the bridge color fading, it all depends how u put ur palm on the guitar, i usually rest it on the strings! and i wipe it thoroughly after finishing playing! and btw, i was at a concert and a stupid guy threw beer on it and it was all soaked! but it survived!
Yeah i saw your "Drunk Jem" thread, man... thats sucks. glad to see you got it all dried up!

yeah i tend to rest my palm on the strings.. i hardly touch the bridge.. it should help a little i guess.

im still trying to fix a problem i have with some buzzing/choking notes.. i think i need to raise the action a little bacuse when u play those notes the string hits the next 2 frets so its choking out..

not sure how to do it.. waiting for an answer from rich or some of you tech guruz

was never good with the technicalities of a guitar. let alone an ibanez, wich is my first floating trem guitar.

Thanks again for the tips!

Tags
ebony fretboard , guitar shop , prs mccarty , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode