Got an MKR, but have varying evil thoughts.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Got an MKR, but have varying evil thoughts....

I can't make up my mind on this... and have been wondering about it for the past couple days.

I have an MKR I bought off ebay in August... I paid $1,500 for it, and it's obviously been used. There was a nick in the front into the wood I filled in, and since it's the only time I've done such a thing, it doesn't look perfect but it's not noticable unless you actually knew before-hand.

Anyway... Someone here had their MKR redone by Darren and I was thinking about doing the same thing. However, I was also considering getting a monkey grip cut into it. Any guitar without a monkey grip looks and feels strange to me since I got hooked on Jems. I don't know who could do a moneky grip though. Not only was I considering getting the monkey grip done, but I was also thinking about getting the headstock swirled and a new Ibanez logo done since it's kinda scratched up... maybe black with a swirled logo? Eh? If not, I'd probably just want the logo redone like the original, because I actually do like it.
I was also thinking about getting the fretboard redone in ebony, and new pyramid inlays, or perhaps have the originals put into the new fretboard for originality-sake. Naturally I'd need new frets... the frets currently on there, although playable, are fairly worn. They shine like champs thanks to Rich's tutorial though : D
It could probably benefit from some new wiring, most likely a new pickup selector, since it pops a little at times when switching pickups.
I'm curious to know how much this would all cost to have done, and if in reality it would be a real benefit. Also, would it drive down the value of the guitar? I wouldn't want to sell the S.O.B. for sure after modifying it, of course.... but you never really know.

I've also thrown around the idea of selling my MKR, my DBK, and 555, and paying the difference on a DNA.

What are your opinions on either idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 PM

Surprisingly, there have been a lot of original ATD UVs for sale lately. I would say that instead of modifying the one you have ($1500 + 400 reswirl + 200 new frets + 450 new fingerboard & inlays, etc) sell it and buy a much cleaner original ATD. That way you have the guitar you want, and it will retain its value. An ATD re-swirl would hold its value too depending on the quality of the clear coat, but it'll always be easier to get your money back from an original. Good luck!
kent k is online  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:55 PM
EKG

Reswirl by Darren
Monkey Grip and neck issues by LGM

I would have no problem sending an MKR to get reswirled. Put the grip in it! I really enjoy seeing people customize their guitars.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning more toward just getting it redone. I might just sell off my 555 and DBK regardless when I return to Vegas. I LOVE my DBK, but I love my VWH a thousand times more. The DNA would be great to have, but at the same time, I think it would be too close to a DBK and although I love the feel of playing it, I wouldn't want to play it in fear of killing it by accident. I'm thinking the UV getting customized would make it more "MY" guitar.
I LOVE the way this DNA looks http://www.ibanezregister.com/images.../PicDNA001.jpg. It has the perfect amount of black in it, and I love the specs over the black. I'd like to get a PAW swirl to look as much like that as possible, because in my opinion, that is damned near perfect looking. And now that I think of it, a UV pickguard would look effing spiffy on there too : D
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 05:19 PM

I vote for the swirl, monkey grip, ebony board, inlays, pickups, headstock, neck heel, whatever you want done. Make it YOUR guitar. Make it the guitar you always wanted to have with all the features you ever wanted on your ultimate guitar. Then, never sell it, play it every day you can, love it, treasure it, bask in its glory as it hangs on the wall or sits in your lap. Make it the guitar to end all guitars for you. Why not? I know that after I got my first UV (the first 'good' electric I ever bought), it was so great to me that I haven't tried out guitars in guitar stores for over a decade. Why would I? I already have my perfect guitar. Now I'm waiting on my third UV to get back from having some of its initial customizations done. Get yourself a great guitar through customization. I agree that an original ATD MC or DNA would be near sacriligeous to customize. But an MKR? Hack that thing up and get a good paint job on it!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 05:27 PM
EKG

Reswirl it in DNA colors, as close as possible to the pic you show, then have LGM do DNA colored pyramids
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 05:47 PM

*rubs chin* I dunno, it seems like a whole lot of changin'. Despite having a bit of a chip in the front and a scratched up logo, these are valuable, collectible guitars. If it's not what you want, sell it and get something you like. If you want a swirl/grip project you can probably pick up a UV7BK pretty cheap, and retain the resale value of yer MKR.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 06:41 PM

I have an mkr also but its almost mint.I've thought about a reswirl in more vibrant colors(neon) as the mkrs are just a little dull finish wise.I have decided to keep the mkr original.I will probably instead hack up a uvgr or uvbl and get that done instead.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 06:47 PM

Although there are alot of original ATD swirls for sale right now, they go for around $2500+ for a mint one. Redoing your MKR may end up more than that in the end, but you will have a guitar that you wont have with an original.

If you buy an original, you still get, rosewood, no grip, stock headstock.

If you mod this one, you get Ebony, whatever color inlay you want (reusing the old would be a pointless attempt at spending extra money)
you get the grip, you get whatever headstock you want. In short you get YOUR guitar. This is EXACTLY what I am doing LOL, only I started with a UV7BK, I will modify the neck myself, EKG is building a Mahogany body for me with grip and claw, and ATD will swirl it for me.

Even if you choose to not use LGM Guitars, I recommend modding this axe. Yes, it's somewhat collectable, but there is a reason MKR's go for $1500, not many really want them.

Jeremy
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Yes, it's somewhat collectable, but there is a reason MKR's go for $1500, not many really want them.

Jeremy
Man, I'd take one.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Jeremy, just FYI, if I do decide to mod this SOB, you will be getting business from me, no doubt. You do monkey grips as well I take it?
I'd probably still want to have the same colored pyramid inlays, just because I love the way they look... you should see how worn the frets are... surprisingly though, still plays very smooth...
I'm thinking I should screw with inlay ideas on photoshop before I make my final decision if this is in fact what I'm going to do as far as inlays go. I'm figuring I'll end up spending about $1,000 on this project.
The MKR I have isn't bad... pictures don't do it justice because like any one of you probably know, they almost always look better in person. I love the fact that it's original, however, that doesn't mean everything to me, which is why I'm seriously entertaining this idea.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Edit: Double post. Bloody internet connections. Argh
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:01 PM

very cool, I look forward to it, and in answer to the grip question, yes
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Vendor

3-4 years ago it didn't matter if it was MKR or ATD, they still sold like hotcakes. Today buyers are getting more educated and pickier so you're definately seeing a greater disparity in price.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

3-4 years ago I didn't know the difference... actually, didn't know the difference until I started coming to this site and actually researched the guitar before I bought it.
I think it'll be an awesome project, and the thought of ebony alone makes me drool.... so you can only image my thoughts about the other changes. Unfortunately I won't be able to undertake this till at least June or July... but I'm almost positive I'm going to do it.
Any ideas on different inlays?

Tags
air norton , atd swirl , atd swirls , clear coat , ebony board , lgm guitars , mahogany body , monkey grip , piezo bridge , piezo system , pull tone , pull tone pot , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode