Got my first UV... - needs some work, but nice - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Got my first UV... - needs some work, but nice

I picked up a UV777BK in a local deal, good price although a few frets need some work (the high "A" pentatonic box seemed to be quite the popular scale of the former owner), cracked pg from a Roland synth install.

I ordered a pg from Jeannie (great service btw, and fast), a black pearl color, I'm also installing a SD JB7 in the bridge and a *PAF Pro7 in the neck, I was going to go with a Tone Zone based on other's recommendations on this board, but I already have one installed on my 7DBK, and I have always been a fan of the JB's.

I LOVE the neck on this guitar, and shifting over to a seven string has been nowhere near as difficult as I had anticipated.

In short, just a killer instrument.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 09:29 PM

Got my first UV...

Have to agree with him. *I have a UV777BK as well, a 99 model, and I love it. *The neck became second nature as soon as I played for a couple of hours. *I love this guitar, and it is stone stock...I am thinking new pups too though....they seem a little weak....especially for a Vai guitar...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 08:20 AM

Got my first UV...

congratulations. sorry to hear about the frets. i wanted to ask you - what action and neck curvature settings are you using?
i have my uv777pbk action set lower than spec.s and the neck is set straight. i was always on lukewarm terms until evolving into these personal settings, now it's uncanny.

happy playing,
jeff
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Got my first UV...

Jeff,

I set up the bass side to 2mm, the treble to about 1.7mm (each from the 24th fret). *As far as neck bow I just set enough relief as needed to avoid any fret buzz from 2 - 7. *Setting up your own instruments is well worth taking the time to learn, it took me a while when I first started but I glad I learned.

Mike

Tags
fret buzz , neck bow , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode