Got my UV777 yesterday, but.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Got my UV777 yesterday, but....

Hi there,
my dealer called me yesterday and told me that he finally had the UV777 I ordered. So far so good. It sounds and plays really great, but there's one thing I noticed - the Pyramid inlay below the tremolo has got a big drop of ink on it that ruins the whole inlay That seriously bothers me cause I really like that inlay. What would you guys do now? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:53 AM

Take it back to the dealer and send it to Ibanez. They will give u a new guitar or fix this thing. It should not be a problem. U paid a lot of money for a new guitar so it should be in perfect shape without such mistakes from the qualitiy control.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

The stupid thing is, I already removed the plastic from the pickguard! Everything else is still like new but I fear this might be(come) a problem...?
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:43 AM

The fact that you removed the plastic should not be a problem. The dealer knows that you bought the guitar from him yesterday. You should contact him right away though, don't waist a few days thinking about it. Good luck!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Okay I'll give it a try today... The dealer wasn't the reason why I hesitated, but the fact that it was "only" this little cosmetical flaw - I feared I was "too picky" or something.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:28 AM

We are talking about a brand new guitar. U cant be too picki. U have to care for ur money. U pay and deserve what u want.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:01 AM

ink?

there's no ink in that guitar. the inlay is made of abalone and is surely put on there long after the paint dries - are you sure it's not just the natural color of that particular piece of abalone?

Here's what mine looks like...

Maybe you can take a picture and share with the class...
~Kenny
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:24 AM

I have to agree with Kenny.. I doubt its a 'flaw' but you may not like the natural abalone they used, but thats not a 'flaw'. Sigh... its always hard ordering a guitar before you see it, just cause of the little things.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I wish I had a digicam. My inlay looks just like Kenny's, but it's got a drop of "ink" or whatever it is on it, almost the size of a penny that goes from the eye down to the eyelid. I would be suprised if that were part of the natural abalone.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:35 AM

The size of a penny!?!?

if you consider three pennies would just about cover the whole inlay, that's a pretty big spot of 'whatever'.

i don't have any more ideas - do you have a friend with a digital camera? We'd be able to help you a little better with more viusal information.

~K
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:03 AM

A PENNY!

I'm like Kenny, dang thats BIG! NOTHING would surprise me though. I know how slack people can be. Sadly most people don't hold a high standard for the work they do or inspect. Anything can slip through.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:32 PM

Hey- when I had my PRS, in the 1st year it developed a finish bubble the size of the diameter of your smallest Ibanez allen wrench (the one for the stud locks). It was miniscule, but it just bothered me there by the volume control on a trans-purple finish. Like- I paid $$$ for this thing and it's got a finish bubble?!
So I sent it to PRS and they replace the entire body for me free of charge, and it came back with a much sweeter maple top

You can't be too fussy with a new $$ (pronounced "Cha-Ching") guitar- you paid good money for it, you shouldn't have to deal with finishing flaws.

-Ben
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

People, people - I said ALMOST! Anyway, I just brought it back to my dealer and he's going to have a look at it and contact Ibanez. We'll see what happens...
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
ink?

there's no ink in that guitar. the inlay is made of abalone and is surely put on there long after the paint dries - are you sure it's not just the natural color of that particular piece of abalone?

Maybe you can take a picture and share with the class...
~Kenny
No ink?
Well the eye and 7's must be applied using something.
Also, I'm no inlay expert, but wouldn't an inlay be done Before paint, so that any imperfections in the routing/filler could be painted over, thereby giving the inlay a nice, crisp edge?
Speaking of crisp.........
I'm thinking food....
Man, I'm starving!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:12 AM

Reviews: 1
Mmm, this doesn't make me feel any better about the UV777BK I ordered... Hope It'll be perfect, but these kind of horror-stories (along with bad knife-edges)...

Tags
allen wrench , clear coat , pyramid inlay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

UV777 still in production?
how to setup uv777

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode