The Great "Design a Jem" Plagiarism Debate! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
The Great "Design a Jem" Plagiarism Debate!

okay, so there's three threads or more with the whole "Design was stolen from a website" thing happening, and yes, I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing as well, though I know I was nowhere near winning it anyway, but I feel for the guys that made it onto the finalist page and have been hit with this news, especially ZigZulquit and Waverider, being Jemsiters and finding out that the winner nicked his design from a Fractal Wallpaper creating website.

- Where do you think Ibanez will take this?
- Will the winning design be retracted?
- Whatever happened to the rules "original artwork made for the Jem contest" and "not publically available"??
- Does this affect your future Ibanez and Jem purchases?
- How the f**k could this happen? Didn't they check it out first before announcing it?

anyway, say your piece and let us know of any developments with this monumental ****up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 5
Re: The Great "Design a Jem" Plagiarism Debate!

I hope it's retracted. I don't care if Ibanez loses a little face, after I build my guitar, I won't buy a single guitar from them knowing they created something exclusively for a plagiarist after I spent ages designing my guitar. And it's an even bigger kick in the nuts to the finalists.
post #3 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Reviews: 130

^^This
post #4 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Given that 7 of the top 8 threads in this part of the forum as I write are about this contest, how about COULD NOT GIVE A ****.
post #5 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

guess you didn't have any entries then Dave.
post #6 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Vendor

I see alot of whiners.

The guy took a design and made it into a different and very new design. It contains the elements of the original, but that's it. It has been altered into something different.

You would pretend nobody else did the same thing. Like Bonnie, another finalist, using images from SV album covers

The winner was the one Steve liked the best. Get over it. That's the winner.

Move on, there's nothing to see here.
post #7 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post

- Where do you think Ibanez will take this?
- Will the winning design be retracted?
- Whatever happened to the rules "original artwork made for the Jem contest" and "not publically available"??
- Does this affect your future Ibanez and Jem purchases?
- How the f**k could this happen? Didn't they check it out first before announcing it?
1- I couldn't care less.

2- I don't care too.

3- It's their rules,they can break whenever they want.You can feel angry but still it's their contest,their guitar and their rules.That's why I said so many times=people go do something instead of wasting so many time on a guitar contest.Just send your design and let it go.

4- Nope.If I see an ibanez I like,I'll buy it.I don't buy guitars because I like companies,I buy because they're tools to make music.I couldn't care less about companies.

5- Nope.Like I said it's just a guitar contest,not the cure of cancer.They just want to sell more guitars.

If ibanez doesn't care(or care) about if that dude cheated or not,why the hell would I waste my time with it?
And like I said too I BET the majority just picked up a pic in the net and worked on it.
So...I won't waste my time with a guitar company lol
I have better things to do like.........music ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Given that 7 of the top 8 threads in this part of the forum as I write are about this contest, how about COULD NOT GIVE A ****.
Quote:
guess you didn't have any entries then Dave.
I have an entry which I made with all my heart,I put things which are related to my life but.......I don't give a **** ( as Dave said)

Last edited by 6fingers; 07-08-2010 at 02:24 PM.
post #8 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

True that...... but you gotta admit, with how nice your own design is and how much work you probably put into it, you surely feel a little PO'd?

This comp isn't gonna make them sell more guitars.... there's only 2, so I don't get that point.

It won't affect any of my Ibby purchases for 2 reasons.... 1 = I don't have the money and 2 = I like them too much to get too upset about it.

Personally though, I'd like to see how this pans out from a curiousity.... more of a "what will they do?" curiousity, as I don't know if this could cause a major problem for them or not. It'll be interesting but like I said.... Still love Ibanez, still love Vai..... you'd be silly to boycott either of them over this.
post #9 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Rich, there's a clear-cut difference between a mosaic and a cheap cut-and-paste a job. A mosaic is a celebration of a collection, by taking images from that said collection and meshing them together on a creative surface, which Bonnie did. Alex, to my knowledge (I could be wrong, and if so, I apologize) took a picture we found on an Italian wall-paper forum and photoshopped it over a JEM7VWH.

That's horse crap.

Originally, I was very happy for Alex, I think it looks stunning. But a plagiarist does NOT deserve to win. In middle school, I was taught you could get jail-time for it.
post #10 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Vendor

It's just as original NOW as Bonnie's is. Anything to the contrary is just spoil sport because yours, or anybody elses, wasn't chosen, or even thought about.
post #11 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:32 PM

I don't give a crap that I lost. I'm planning on building it myself. But a plagiarist who took some wallpaper and plastered it on his design does NOT deserve to take away the prize from someone more deserving, like many Jemsiters here. Many people poured lots of hours into concocting something original, while someone does a copy/paste job? Not cool.

And considering Ibanez is officially investigating this, they seem to think the same.
post #12 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Vendor

Sorry, but it was an image in the public domain that has been modified to the point it is no longer the original image. It is completely original in it's own right now. I fail to see how supposedly smart people can't understand the distinction......
post #13 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM

'cause the design had to use content created solely for this contest. Slapping some wallpaper on a JEM7VWH is not following those rules.
post #14 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I see alot of whiners.

The guy took a design and made it into a different and very new design. It contains the elements of the original, but that's it. It has been altered into something different.

You would pretend nobody else did the same thing. Like Bonnie, another finalist, using images from SV album covers

The winner was the one Steve liked the best. Get over it. That's the winner.

Move on, there's nothing to see here.
it's a bit silly to compare that entry to the winning one isn't it?.... I mean, yes they're album covers....... but they're Steve Vai's album covers, like he'd have a problem with it. Sheesh.

It's a different story when someone else's art is used, likely without permission, to attain personal gain. That's when stuff gets dirty. I wonder what the creator of the original piece of art would think? Would he be flattered or outraged? who knows. I wouldn't be happy about it.... you can say it's been altered into something different, but it's clearly clearly that design. I'm just saying that there could be a real issue there.
post #15 of 222 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
This comp isn't gonna make them sell more guitars.... there's only 2, so I don't get that point.
It's about getting the attention to ibanez label and selling more guitars(not the ones of the contest lol).
All contests are about getting attention to a label.

Do you really think ibanez did this contest because Vai called them and said =Hey fokers I wanna give a especial jem to one of my fans?
You guys do a contest and I'll take the winner to Hymalaia to shoot For the love of god 2 !

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Macka I really understand and agree to your points still..........I won't waste a minute about it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode