The Great White Jem Debate of 2019 - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Re: The Great White Jem Debate of 2019

@ Glensite
So you're saying that Ibanez isn't what it is today because of the JEM/Re-styled-RG body shape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 21
I'd like to get one for the novelty of them. And I never agree with the haters who say Premiums are junk. They're not. They're just not as good out the door as MIJ - typically.
Jeffrey Serio likes this.
post #18 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
When was this? The original JEM was Vai's modified Roadstar/RG550 and the combo of a smart, reliable artist (Vai) matched with Ibanez global distribution network was a win. Sure they sold some pricey JEM/UV limited editions to aging shred fanatics (fishing in a barrel) but the "top of the line" in terms of quality was never bolt on superstrats.
Pre-kicking myself for engaging this but what were the top of the line models in terms of quality at the time the Jem was released? The Maxxas? The Artist?
mike570 and Jeffrey Serio like this.
post #19 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Pre-kicking myself for engaging this but what were the top of the line models in terms of quality at the time the Jem was released? The Maxxas? The Artist?
George Benson model

post #20 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Fair enough. So the pinnacle in Ibanez/FujiGen quality in the 80's was a niche model with very low production.

I think it's fair to say that we wouldn't be having this conversation today, on an Ibanez enthusiast forum, if we were hanging our hats on George Benson models. Ibanez is where it is today because of superstrats. We can sit here and have the chicken and egg conversation about the Jem and RG, but I think we should be able to agree that the Jem was an extremely important halo model for Ibanez during the 1987-93 "Golden Era".

Saying that the Jem represented the top of the line is not wrong. The definition of a halo model goes beyond simply quality. Look at marketing materials from the time. The Jem is heavily featured. It also appears first on price lists. Those are indications of the importance of the guitar to Ibanez at the time.

A Corvette has never been the nicest car that GM makes. But it's their halo model nonetheless. The fact that most people buy more affordable Camaros does not diminish the standing of the Corvette.
post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Fair enough. So the pinnacle in Ibanez/FujiGen quality in the 80's was a niche model with very low production
I didn't think that Fujigen made the archtop jazz boxes, just the solidbodies. Everyone aspires to the top of the range but businesses make their money on the volume sales, Ibanez managed to nail a product which gave them a unique identity in the RG series based on the Jem, prior to this their products were bland and derivative.
Hoseki likes this.
post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:

That is an emotional opinion but Ibanez did fine before the JEM and perhaps would be a better company today if Vai went w/ Tom A. We'll never know. But you're cherry picking facts... forget they were in dire straits in the early 90s as JEM/UVs were distributor & dealer closeouts (S marked UVs anyone)?
I still hate not having the $1,000 for a new GMC at my local guitar shop back then
jim777, mike570 and Jeffrey Serio like this.
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:59 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I still hate not having the $1,000 for a new GMC at my local guitar shop back then
Even though I like RG's better I still kind of regret selling my JEM777VBK. If they make a Premium version of that guaranteed I'm buying it - even if it is an emotional response.
post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Does this also mean they will be discontinuing production of the Japanese 7V? To be honest I already have my 7V and I have no reason to buy one again, I have no idea how well they were or were not selling but this still seems disappointing to me. We're all here sitting waiting for something interesting and new in the way of a Japanese made Jem with top specs and Ibanez are going the opposite way.
Leviathus and Hoseki like this.
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Even though I like RG's better I still kind of regret selling my JEM777VBK. If they make a Premium version of that guaranteed I'm buying it - even if it is an emotional response.
I drunk/emotionally bought Rich's last UV71P. It was a guitar I always wanted but not enough to spend what a Japanese made one goes for.
mike570 and satchmo72 like this.
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:29 PM

I don't have Jem, never planned to own one as well, but back in early days , when someone ask me what guitar do I play, I said 'Ibanez', the reply back then always ; Ibanez? A Jem ?

It was the same as :
A fender ..? people think of stratocaster
A gibson ? people think of a les paul.
MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 AM

Reviews: 6

i have a 98 7vwh...my thoughts on a cheaper version? doesn't bother me one way or another...the new ones won't diminish my thoughts on mine...i would like to lay my hands on a new one just to see how close they really got...d.m.
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
This model is really disappointing to me, you could probably find an ebony boarded 7VWH from back in the day in the same ballpark price wise. Ibanez is what it is today because of the JEM and i think it deserves its spot at the top of the pyramid (no pun intended) and that means MIJ! The JEM line used to represent the top of the line Ibanez, the most creatively styled axe they have to offer, not living in the past but pushing into the future. Tired of all the throwbacks.

Still holding out hope (probably in vain) for a MIJ show only release later this month.
Ebony board used for the same price as the premium? Not in Japan, NO WAY. The prices on the ebony board MIJ JEMs has shot up like almost 50,000 yen the last few years, due to the scarcity of them. These are DEFINITELY cheaper than the old beaters.
post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
When was this? The original JEM was Vai's modified Roadstar/RG550 and the combo of a smart, reliable artist (Vai) matched with Ibanez global distribution network was a win. Sure they sold some pricey JEM/UV limited editions to aging shred fanatics (fishing in a barrel) but the "top of the line" in terms of quality was never bolt on superstrats.

Removing JEM/Vai from the convo, the industry barely needs super pricey MIJ, non-customizable Ibanez superstrats at this point though. Maybe Vai/Ibanez sees this before the superfans?
I just wanna comment on this part, because I have unique knowledge living in Japan as long as I have:

The superstrat market in Japan is basically dominated by ESP, you rarely see Ibanezes in the wild anymore. Also, tons of newer "boutique" MIJ builders make superstrats of some kind (Caparison, etc), and with all these newer, smaller builders making high end stuff (usually more expensive than an MIJ JEM), I can completely agree that we dont need any more MIJ superstrats. There's too many of them now, and they all are extremely cost prohibitive.
post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:49 AM

Caparison is Fujigen unless I'm missing something due to a lack of unique insider knowledge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode