The Great White Jem Debate of 2019 - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Re: The Great White Jem Debate of 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Caparison is Fujigen unless I'm missing something due to a lack of unique insider knowledge.
I don't think so, I've seen they had it made somewhere, but not fujigen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I drunk/emotionally bought Rich's last UV71P. It was a guitar I always wanted but not enough to spend what a Japanese made one goes for.
I got my JEM-FP for $600 and that's only one of the reasons that the only thing I willingly buy new is food.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I just wanna comment on this part, because I have unique knowledge living in Japan as long as I have:

The superstrat market in Japan is basically dominated by ESP, you rarely see Ibanezes in the wild anymore.
I really miss going into the music stores every year and seeing all the varieties of JEM's on display...
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Caparison is Fujigen unless I'm missing something due to a lack of unique insider knowledge.
No, Caparison is made by the guys from Chuushin gakki, who used to make the MIJ Jackson/Charvels and their own brand, Cobran.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Does this also mean they will be discontinuing production of the Japanese 7V? To be honest I already have my 7V and I have no reason to buy one again, I have no idea how well they were or were not selling but this still seems disappointing to me.
I don't see this happening. Vai is one of their marquee artists and the 7V is his signature model. I see them keeping the MIJ model around, even if it's a slow seller. Keep in mind they've run the AT10P and AT100CL simultaneously for a while now. Also, they just came out with a new Jake Bowen model and are keeping the original MIJ one around. I could see them moving to having the 7V as a permanent model with a second rotating MIJ model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I don't have Jem, never planned to own one as well, but back in early days , when someone ask me what guitar do I play, I said 'Ibanez', the reply back then always ; Ibanez? A Jem ?
Talking to people who don't play guitar and often don't even listen to guitar oriented music, many of them know who Steve Vai is and instantly associate the Jem with him. They usually call it a "Steve Vai guitar" but they know what it is. The other name they know is Joe Satriani, but most likely wouldn't associate a JS with him if you showed them one.

Quote:
Ebony board used for the same price as the premium? Not in Japan, NO WAY. The prices on the ebony board MIJ JEMs has shot up like almost 50,000 yen the last few years, due to the scarcity of them. These are DEFINITELY cheaper than the old beaters.
You can find them in the US reasonably, but many of the guitars you find are players and are either fairly worn or have yellowed considerably. You'd have to look but you could find a very nice condition ebony board Jem for about the same as the new one.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I drunk/emotionally bought Rich's last UV71P. It was a guitar I always wanted but not enough to spend what a Japanese made one goes for.
If you got the extra cash and are happy I don't blame you. I was tempted myself on that one. The white with white pyramids is a great look. I just dig the green on black look - there's something extraterestrial about it. Sometimes I'm tempted to get the UV but one seven for me is enough, the cheap RG7321 I have. Which with Blaze pickups and the old high shoulder Gibraltar Standard 2 bridge is pretty good.
GearBoxTy likes this.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I just wanna comment on this part, because I have unique knowledge living in Japan as long as I have...you rarely see Ibanezes in the wild anymore.
Just thinking of my RG570, I got it for a couple hundred after hitchhiking to Tokyo from Yamanashi. There were so many RG's and I spent all day comparing them, finally settling for the Desert Yellow, then hitching back to Akenomura where my friend helped me strip and refinish it. Came with a rosewood board on it but I got a body and neck from Yahoo a few years later and took the maple neck from it. Miss that guitar! It's played all the way from Bandai in Iwate to Usuki in Oita.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
Just thinking of my RG570, I got it for a couple hundred after hitchhiking to Tokyo from Yamanashi. There were so many RG's and I spent all day comparing them, finally settling for the Desert Yellow, then hitching back to Akenomura where my friend helped me strip and refinish it. Came with a rosewood board on it but I got a body and neck from Yahoo a few years later and took the maple neck from it. Miss that guitar! It's played all the way from Bandai in Iwate to Usuki in Oita.
Holy ****, you've been to Usuki? Finally I meet someone who understands my love of that prefecture
Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Holy ****, you've been to Usuki? Finally I meet someone who understands my love of that prefecture
Every year since about 2000 or so. My friend there worked with me in Alaska and for a couple years he lived in Saga, so I went there instead. Really like the people in Kyushu, especially the food in Kumamoto!

Hitchhiked to and from Usuki at least twice. Long way to Kuga at night...
Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
Every year since about 2000 or so. My friend there worked with me in Alaska and for a couple years he lived in Saga, so I went there instead. Really like the people in Kyushu, especially the food in Kumamoto!

Hitchhiked to and from Usuki at least twice. Long way to Kuga at night...
I miss living in Kyuushuu. Oita was the place that made me decide to move to Japan to live, when i first came here in 01.
Hoseki likes this.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I miss living in Kyuushuu. Oita was the place that made me decide to move to Japan to live, when i first came here in 01.
I've enjoyed my time in Nagoya, but what a difference compared to anywhere in Oita. At least you're close to Inuyama, Kasugai and Seto. Ukai.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Well, maybe we need to start a new thread group? Ex pats, Ibanez lovers in Japan? haha. I've been living in Japan for 12 years. I would love for us to have a drink all together sometimebeen here in Japan now
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeryear74 View Post
I would love for us to have a drink all together sometimebeen here in Japan now
Here:

GEMOR ? PREMIUM BOURBON WHISKEY BAR

Or Rogin's Tavern in Osaka.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 21

I wonder if a rumor started to spread that they were discontinuing the 7V if sales would pick up, anticipation demand style. I doubt it though as the model's been around forever.
Does that happen with other models?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I wonder if a rumor started to spread that they were discontinuing the 7V if sales would pick up, anticipation demand style. I doubt it though as the model's been around forever.
Does that happen with other models?
I have never heard of a guitar manufacturer announcing a guitar is going to be discontinued. They just stop making it. I think Ibanez would be wise to continue making the 7VWH because guitarists like to be able to recognize at least one guitar in a brands lineup year to year. I like what Ibanez is offering this year, but it is quite different from last year and I suspect the 2020 lineup will look quite different from this year.
Hoseki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in