The Great White Jem Debate of 2019 - Page 7 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:24 PM

Re: The Great White Jem Debate of 2019

The White JEM7VP seems to sound better to me than the JEM70V

Last edited by Elliot Twist; 04-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Funny except for the ebony fret board the Seafoam Green JEM70V one and the White JEM7VP one are almost identical.
However (FYI everyone) even though they both have the Evolution pups the White JEM 7VP sounds better to me.
The JEM7VP has "more body" than the JEM 70V. Whatever that means, I guess I mean more low mid.
Evolution pickups are awesome !
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Twist View Post
Funny except for the ebony fret board the Seafoam Green JEM70V one and the White JEM7VP one are almost identical.
However (FYI everyone) even though they both have the Evolution pups the White JEM 7VP sounds better to me.
The JEM7VP has "more body" than the JEM 70V. Whatever that means, I guess I mean more low mid.
I've always noticed the exact same type of difference between my RG's and my JEM, and the only thing I can think of is that I took off the pickguard and direct mounted the pickups to the body. Definitely thicker sounding and I would have tried the same with other guitars but it required me to drill out the pickup mounting holes in order to make a large enough hole for the skinniest wood screws I was able to find.
post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Twist View Post
except for the ebony fret board the Seafoam Green JEM70V one and the White JEM7VP one are almost identical.

Well, they have different body. 70V has American Basswood, 7VP Alder.
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug View Post
Well, they have different body. 70V has American Basswood, 7VP Alder.

You are right, maybe that's why the 7VP sounds better. That's neat.
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 PM

The JEM70V and JEM77WDP are no longer on the 2019 Ibanez site
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 PM

There's a new demon in the house that likes to taunt the others.
WMerkert, lordhar and Hoseki like this.
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 PM

Got a 7VP with a great neck. No issues with frets or anything, perfect fret-ends. And I wasn't expecting gotoh tuners.
Also the pickup selector switch seem to be something more sturdy than on other premiums.
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:10 AM

Red face Re: The Great White Jem Debate of 2019

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and encouragement. I've been busy since I dropped by before.

First I just want to compliment the beautiful instruments that have been posted since my last visit. Later on I do want to come back, and let's break it down by guitar. I'd love to see more 77FPs, they're fantastic! I have tons of pictures I can share.

I've just taken a picture of only the Ibanez JEM/RG guitars that I own. Safe to say I like them a lot. (Note: For anyone here who, say, doesn't like seeing these guitars modified, at least be comforted that I still have all the original pickups and knobs, although some of those Alpha pots have been lost over the years, and I could restore them to stock specs should I ever wish to. It isn't likely, though, because once I decide a guitar is a keeper, it's family. You don't sell family so you don't worry about resale value.)

>> From left to right by order of acquisition, a few words about each (pickups are bridge/middle/neck, and * denotes a humbucker that is wired to a push-pull pot for series/parallel switching):

1988 JEM77FP - (FRED*/JEM Single/Humbucker-From-Hell) The crown jewel of my collection. Played to hell and back, and scarred all over. That's probably the third Edge trem I've put in it over the years. She never failed to make the other guys gasp when they saw her back in the day, because back then we only saw them in magazines. I like this floral pattern the most of the 77FPs, but that's probably because it's the one I ended up with.

1991 RG77DX - (SD JB*/Blue Velvet/SD '59) I bought this guitar as a backup for the JEM because dorm life was very hard on her. This is the guitar that sounds like me, because the electronics in this one are my favorite. The loadout was inspired by the pickups in Robben Ford's signature Fender. It's just great for a huge variety of styles.

1993 USA Custom Exotic Wood FMTB - (SD Custom Custom*/JEM Single/SD '59*) Bought this guitar for a song off a friend who bought her new and kept her in her case. I souped up the electronics and promptly put her back in the case only to come out for special occasions. Not a mark on this guitar, from the time when quilted maple tops were thick.

2013 RG471AH - (Eric Johnson bridge*/True Velvet/Eric Johnson neck*) An impulse buy after my buddy bought one used and brought it over. She plays great but unfortunately her neck has a rattle-y truss rod that can't be fixed, though sometimes you can turn it just right and it will stay for a bit. Someday I will find a neck to put on her. I love the hard-tail bridge and I wish I had more H/S/H RGs with hard-tails. I think she looks great with the Cozmo/chromed look, too. Feels like it weighs ounces, and plays very nicely. Really a shame about that truss rod. Love to be able to zip through tunings.

2013 JEM70VSFG - (Crunch Lab*/JEM Single/Evolution) My second JEM and boy did she come with issues. This was earlier in the Premium run and QC was maybe rougher back then? None of the frets were set on the treble side of the neck, so the high-E string would get stuck on the 24th anytime you picked it hard enough. That was awful. Hoshino USA in Bensalem fixed it for the cost of shipping it up there and turned it around back to me in a week. No issues since. She's brilliant and I love her. With this growing guitar collection I don't play her enough.

Gulp... 2019 JEM7V - (Stock) Um yeah so I am still paying this one off. Halfway there. Not much I can say about this guitar, except any time I want to praise it my buddies will say, "For that price tag, it had BETTER be." I put it in their hands and yeah they feel it, too. Only thing I would change is I wish it had a Lo-Pro trem and an ebony fretboard. That said, this guitar is just immaculate. It it astoundingly solid while also incredibly sensitive. I was afraid Ibanez might discontinue this Japanese-made model so I made it a priority to get one this year. Glad I did. It's simply stunning.

2019 RG1070FMNTL (Stock, but with series/parallel on the ToneZone) Saw this on Sweetwater and had to have it. It's very reminiscent of the 1993 USA Custom, but I'm not afraid to play this one! Had a couple small issues with it: Hated the Alpha pots in this one (scratchy and didn't clean up properly, and didn't roll in smoothly, either) and the noisy trem springs were microphonic in front of a high-gain amp. Fixed the springs with silicone tubing (which ended up in all of my guitars) and replaced the volume with a CTS and the tone with a DiMarzio (Bourns?) pot with a push-pull DPDT on it like the others. Bought replacement caps off eBay. That solved all my problems and this kid is now my favorite daily player. The neck is amazing! But really I have just always wanted a guitar with a ToneZone (my buddy who sold me the USA Custom had a ton of Ibanezes with ToneZones in them, you may have run into him over the years if you hung out in certain places online.) I didn't want to put a ToneZone in any of my other RGs so this was perfect, and wow it's a fun pickup. I prefer it in parallel but when you want to go full gain it's a blast. I'm not loving the Air Norton, though. Looks like it's time to order another Humbucker-From-Hell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Ibanez Family 05-17-2019 1.jpg (1.84 MB, 62 views)
jono, Leviathus and Hoseki like this.

Last edited by Dr. Faustus; 05-20-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Managing photo attachment
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Sweet collection!
post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Cool Re: The Great White Jem Debate of 2019

Gonna post here to test how the image attachments work. This is the JEM7V after I put my strings on (I play DR Tite-Fit JH-10s.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg From Phone 1.jpg (1.53 MB, 68 views)
jono, peromucho7 and Hoseki like this.
post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM

I just picked up my new Jem 7VP a few days ago, been waiting for Ibanez to make this for years. I also own a BFP Premium and they are both excellent guitars, better quality than the Jr's and I believe not much is lost comparing to the high end Jems.

Always wanted a white/gold Jem but didn't like the Junior, now I have a Premium with the ebony fretboard and Evo pups, plays and sounds great. I don't like buying used older gutars and these Premiums are a great alternative. Not sure why anyone would think these aren't great deals - I got mine for 20% the $1800 price as well.
GearBoxTy likes this.
post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:42 AM

Thumbs up Re: The Great White Jem Debate of 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD69 View Post
I just picked up my new Jem 7VP a few days ago, been waiting for Ibanez to make this for years. I also own a BFP Premium and they are both excellent guitars, better quality than the Jr's and I believe not much is lost comparing to the high end Jems.

Always wanted a white/gold Jem but didn't like the Junior, now I have a Premium with the ebony fretboard and Evo pups, plays and sounds great. I don't like buying used older gutars and these Premiums are a great alternative. Not sure why anyone would think these aren't great deals - I got mine for 20% the $1800 price as well.
I'd love to see it when you have time to take some pics. Oooo, and the BFP, too!

If you read my other posts you know I have had some mixed results from the Indonesian guitars but I want to reiterate the new Premium RG1070 is absolutely spectacular in every way and I couldn't possibly expect it to play better. Granted, I had to file out the pot-mounting holes to install better pots and I put a new 5-way in it because the original had the coil-taps hard-wired to a PCB. That was work I was happy to do and my goodness that new RG is my favorite daily player now. The ToneZone in parallel just really does what I want to hear, and in series it's just a beast. Gonna replace the Air Norton eventually but there's no hurry.

Please post your pics I wanna see more JEMs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode