which guitar to buy? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Talking which guitar to buy?

i have narrow down to 3 guitars that i like...jem7vh,jemfp2 and esp kh2.
i can only afford one of those now...im buying new as it my first new expensive guitar...which of these should i buy?any opinion?i play more to metal stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM

Re: which guitar to buy?

buy the ESP KH2 if u play metal. cant beat the emg pickups. i have a ESP KH2, 5 Jem's and 3 JS guitars but the ESP is the guitar i use for metal. the guitar just feels so good to play.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

yeah...2013 model esp kh2 neck thru with certificate sign by kirk hammet ...i might consider buying it..
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Vendor

The FP2 is the only good JEM being made new right now. If you chose a JEM chose that one, or none until production is corrected.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Wow, why are they continuing to sell them if they are screwed up?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Vendor

Why are people still buying them?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 AM

haha! I guess you have a point.
That's really sad. There will likely be duds all over the place for years because of this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The FP2 is the only good JEM being made new right now. If you chose a JEM chose that one, or none until production is corrected.
what is it with production that needs to be corrected? and why is it that the FP2 isn't affected by the production issues while the other Jems are? or are you referring to Premium Jems?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMfans View Post
yeah...2013 model esp kh2 neck thru with certificate sign by kirk hammet ...i might consider buying it..
if you want to save some cash, grab a Jem7 DBK. they look great, easy to play and you can get them cheap right now and the breed pickups r also good with playing metal.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMfans View Post
i have narrow down to 3 guitars that i like...jem7vh,jemfp2 and esp kh2.
i can only afford one of those now...im buying new as it my first new expensive guitar...which of these should i buy?any opinion?i play more to metal stuff...
Of all companies, ever, Ibanez is my favorite.

That being said, your list is a close one and personally I like ESP as my second favorite but from list of guitars the KH-2 would be righteous. At 3 grand it sits in between the $2,800 dollar and $3,300 dollar Ibanez JEMS you listed.

Of all superstrats ever put out on market, the JEM is perhaps the most well known next to the original Jackson Soloist, but the best designed imho is the KH-2. A close second for best superstrat of all time is the ESP and LTD Jeff Hanneman models which is very similar but with Kahler.

The KH-2 is fairly light and gets its sustain and tone from the EMG active pickups so no need for an ultra heavy mahogany guitar like a Les Paul to achieve that sustain. While some people like the Floyd Rose and others the Edge, they are similar enough that under normal conditions, both will hold tune.

The KH-2 isn't as fancy with the JEM's signature handle cut out and doesn't have a fancy finish, but the gloss black is all that is needed for the task. The extra jumbo frets of the ESP are just right for lead and rhythm and have a long wear to them as my ESP LTD Viper has held up buzz-less for 12 years without any excessive fret wear. The black hardware of the KH-2 wears a lot longer than any gold plated finish. Finally, there's almost no tone that the KH-2's EMG active humbucking pickups cannot handle.

But if you yearn for a lot of clean tones over a large variety of musical styles, then the JEMs with their more moderate passive pickups may sound sweeter. But a guitar like a JEM or KH-2 are probably most attractive to those who want to crank it with distortion and volume and the KH-2's active EMGs do have a long standing history both live and in the studio for balls out heavy guitar. For many players, the active EMG humbuckers are a totally known entity and there's a lot of help out there from fellow players with those EMGs who can help you achieve nearly any tone out there.

To me, at least for hard rock, it's a no brainer and the KH-2 is the one to get. You can get out of control and want uber-expensive and go for a JEM Evo or one of kind custom Vigier, but you won't really get a better guitar than the JEM 7 or KH-2 in terms of playability and tone.

If I had to make a short high(ish) quality guitar list, it would go like this:

best non-trem single coil guitar: Fender American Special Telecaster/Stratocaster or better
best non-trem humbucking guitar: ES-335 or similar semi-hollowbody like Heritage H535 or Ibanez Scofield/Krasno
best plain superstrat: ESP KH-2 or at least ESP/LTD KH-602
best dressed up superstrat: Ibanez JEM or at least an Ibanez Premium JEM

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-13-2013 at 03:42 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Wow so many great reviews about espkh2 on the internet... Ive tried it too and its sounds heavy.... Jemfp2 looks nice and beautiful but cost a bit more expensive than kh2...
I just get kh2 then... Thank you guys for your opinion
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Fp2 is awesome! Love mine!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Yah, I know you want to buy new but I would really recommend you jump into the used guitar market. You could pick up two jems in good shape for the price of a new one (and get an older 7vh that isn't having issues). You could probably pick up a used esp kh2 if you look around and a jem and get the best of both worlds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode