The guitar on Crystal Planet CD - Have you noticed - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
The guitar on Crystal Planet CD - Have you noticed

I was listening to CP the other day. I'm more impressed now. I didn't like it straight off. Anyway I'm looking at the nice chromeboy when I notice that at the 22nd fret there is no dot but a block inlay like a 100,700 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 08:51 PM
Vendor

The guitar on Crystal Planet CD

Give Engines another spin sometime, the same thing will happen

That's Joe's personal 10th that has an inlay plaque inscibed to him.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 10:39 PM

I agree Rich, Engines is great. I wasn't sure what to make of it the first time I heard it....I guess I'll always equate/compare his sound and style to Surfing w/ Alien....but it is awesome.

Thanks for the clarification on the CP pic. I thought the record label took a JS100 and used neg-art on it.

Best regards.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 10:59 PM
Banned

I agree about engines... I bought it listened once and put it on the shelf. *About a month ago I popped it in just for something different and I'm hooked. *I LOVE the slow stuff, and the "power cosmic" stuff is great.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

CD's or songs that I instantly like usually get played to much too soon then they live in my CD cabinet. Other albums that grow on me usually remain favorites.

Engines and Planet are such CD's

For quriosity what effect is Satch using on Ceremony is that a Univibe?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 03:43 PM

I think probably just a plain old BOSS chorus pedal.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 08:33 PM

At first, i didn't like Engines of Creation either. *But, after seeing him play some of those songs live, especially Borg Sex, I was floored. *I listened to that album the next day, I was hooked.

Crystal Planet has always been a favorite of mine. But it seems that a lot of people here feel differently.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 09:26 PM

Engines of Creation is a great album, I loved it from the first play, reminded me of the Not of this earth days. *I love that album. *I think Engines is the best album since The Extremist! *Crystal planet is good, Time Machine is good, Self titled, well, I still don't like that one much at all.
YAY Engines of Creation!!!
Jeremy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 11:44 PM

Engines is OUTSTANDING...i love, and appreciate all genres of music when its done creatively..just cause i love a rocking live trio dont mean i cant get off on a break-beat, especially if satch is giving the fret board a handy-shandy...lol

I agree with what someone above said ..its very "Not Of This Earth" in places (and heck technology was used in that - all those cheesy drum machines anyone? lol) , but very much still resides on the old satch formula of "head" - "chorus" - "solo" - "head" - " chorus"...and there's nowt rong wid dat!!!

latter

track7
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 01:36 PM

I always thought Joe Satriani tried to fit instrumental guitar rock into a pop-structured song, which is very cool. Even on later albums like Crystal Planet (probably my fave) you hear the pop-song structures, and instead of vocals you hear, well, guitar.

"Love Thing" off CP for example, it is so poppy and almost cheesy if you think of it too much, but the guitar makes it beautiful. And its full of those crazy Satriani-isms that identifies him from everyone else.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 08:36 PM

I agree, Satriani's songs seem pop structure oriented. I'm sure Joe could easily "sell out" get a singer and put some vocals to his music and it would be very marketable.

In once described Satriani's music to someone who's never heard of him as "an old friend", seems very familiar even if you've never heard it before.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 04:04 PM

exactly man, an old friend... that's exactly how i think of the guy...

i recently got my first satch CD (Crystal Planet) and although there is some crazy stuff on there (the latter part of Trundrumbalind, With Jupiter in Mind, etc.) it feels so warm and familiar.

I'd never think Joe would fit in well with a singer (other than himself). The guy is too unique and individual... why do think he stayed a power trio for years when he could've hired a rhythm guitarist and a synth player (before Eric Cadeiux)... you want pop-rock vocals? listen to FIABD man... lol "I Believe"... man its a great song, but it sounds like something you'd hear on MTV (which was the case too), which is too cool... Joe has a long list of dynamic artistic credentials... ("virtuoso guitarist, yup i was one of those, pop-rock singer, yup that too...")

Anyways...

I recently heard the entire song of Always With Me Always With You, and I felt as though I knew that entire song by heart even though I've never heard the whole thing before...

I used get the same feeling when listening to the Beatles when I was younger (I'm 16, so don't think I mean when I was back in the 60's or something lol)

-Pryde-

Tags
boss chorus , chorus pedal , crystal planet , fret board , joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode