Which guitar do I buy? - Im confused. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Which guitar do I buy? - Im confused.

Hi
Quick rundown....
A couple of years ago a friend put up for sale his 7vwh. Although I was happy with my RG570 (dimarzio loaded, Tone Zone and Air Norton), I took it home to try it out. Obviously I was impressed. I did a lot of research online, and I came across Jemsite, which helped me enormously to decide to buy it. It is, as u all know, a wonderful guitar and Im very happy with it.
Recently surfing along, I came across Richs site (Ibanez rules, top right corner).
Maaannnnn.....
Although I had already seen pics of the 10th, seeing it again brought up the passion :love:
The fact that I am single again now ( and can do with my money whatever I like :biggrin, had me decide that I want one.
So.... I do some research...decide that Rich is the man to buy from..and carry on surfing and looking, etc....
So I get to see all these pics and read all these comments for the jemdna2yk, the js2ykcpt, the jem90, etc..
This is what I look like now.....:idunno:
I know no one can make the decision for me...but...considering the following, can I have your opinions?
1. I prefer the js body cause Im not very big.
2. I prefer the vine inlays
3. I prefer Ebony and Lo-pro edge
4. The Js tonal posibilities seem appealing ( I actually find the Bridge Evo too hot; Dont u guys hear the *note sort of crackle and burn?)
5. *I do like the vai-isms although I prefer Satch as a musician
6. the lower the action, the better.
Thats all I can think of now...
Well I think its between the jem10th, the dna and the js2ykcpt

Thanks for your help

p.s Thanks for your patience Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 05:26 PM

Which guitar do I buy?

I would say based on what you like, the JEM7VWH would be your best bet but seeing as how it's not on your list, I'd say the JEM10. *The DNA's have the breed pickups, which you may or may not like, I'm not into the breeds, but I love the DNA. *Also, if you like the neck profile of the VWH, the DNA has a wizard type neck, not the Jem profile, I'm not sure what neck profile is not the 10, I think it's a JEM profile though. *You can check the specs on all of them here on Jemsite though.
Good luck with your choice, wish I had the money right now to have the choices of those guitars available.
I'm Jem through and through though, the JS guitars are nice, but I think the Jem is a way better playing guitar.
But that's just my opinion.
Jeremy
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Which guitar do I buy?

I think u misread...I do own the JEM7VWH :biggrin:

Thanks for your opinion amigo.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 5
Which guitar do I buy?

Tricky choice, huh? My personal vote goes to the JEM 10th. It's the most beautiful guitar on Earth for me, it has Evos (although I prefer the Breeds) and the best JEM neck of all time (unfinished back).

If you're a collector, a JS2k is the one to get. A really cool guitar to have in your collection.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Which guitar do I buy?

Thanks Carlos.
This feedback is helping me a lot. It looks like the 10th is doing well.....

ps. I was practising "Garota de Ipanema" as I received your post....
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:46 PM

Reviews: 5
Which guitar do I buy?

Yeah, the JEM 1-th is sweet!

BTW, if you like Tom Jobim, I think you should learn "Wave". It's a great song!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:35 PM

Which guitar do I buy?

Yup, I did indeed miss the part where you said you bought it. *Then I would say, since you already have the Jem, get a JS. Personally I would buy another Jem, but unless you've played a DNA, or just want one more than anything (like I do) then I think you would probably prefer the JS. *I don't believe other than visually that there is any major difference playing wise on the JEM10 vs the VWH. *Of course, personally, I'd get another JEM, but if you like the JS, get one! *They are both great guitars!
Jeremy
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Which guitar do I buy?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * :idunno: * *:idunno: * * **
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 04:41 AM

Which guitar do I buy?

Quote:
Quote: from littlegreenman on 1:35 am on May 14, 2001
I don't believe other than visually that there is any major difference playing wise on the JEM10 vs the VWH.
Jeremy, I must admit I have found the total opposite to be true. *I have mine setup by the same Luthier on the same day to the same spec and the 10 is a far better ride. *It's difficult to put my finger on it, I just find that my fingers find thier way round the 10 much more freely. *Mind you, that's not putting the 7VWH down in anyway, just a direct comparison. *From what I understand the neck profiles are the same, anybody verify that? *The only explanation I can think of is that the unfinshed neck on the 10 is what makes the difference, so I am now considering sanding down the 7VWH.

Mikey
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:08 AM

Which guitar do I buy?

If you have the chance to try a DNA, do it before you decide, it's amazing! I have a BFP with JEM neck and low action. I bought a DNA and i love the wizard neck profile. The question is do you like the breeds. Depends on the kind of music you're doing.
But beware!
If you see and handle a DNA you are infected!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Which guitar do I buy?

I must say WMerkert, that yours is the most beautiful DNA I have seen...

Congratulations!

I dont think Ill have the chance to try one....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:15 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Which guitar do I buy?

IMHO the JEM10 is the best guitar of the three you listed. *I also concur with Purplehaze regarding the VWH vs 10. The JEM10s neck has more of a JEM10 profile and with the unfinished/oiled neck has a *much* better feel than the more Wizard-ish VWH with poly finish.

That said you really can't go wrong with any of them. I would question if you want to spend upwards of $3k on a guitar however, in what might be a rash decision. Think it thru and consider lower cost models such as the DBK or VWH which are a much better value... glen
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Which guitar do I buy?

Ok,ok....Ill only say it one more time.....

I ALREADY OWN A JEM7VWH!!!!!!!!!! *:loco:

Thanks guys!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:21 AM
rvj

Which guitar do I buy?

Hi, I currently have both a DNA and a 7VWH. They are great guitars. In fact, I sold my Parker Fly to purchase the DNA! I also have a Les Paul and a Strat that never get played anymore since I purchased the Jems. Both Jems play very nicely and I personally love the fact that they have different pick-ups. I've played quite a few JS models, the tone is very cool but as far as feel, I prefer the Jems. If possible, try out all the guitars and take your time in making an educated decision. Hope this helps. * *JEMS RULE!!! * * * * * * * *--Ron
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:00 PM

Which guitar do I buy?

Have you looked into a JS90HAM? *It's the only JS model that came with an ebony fingerboard, and has the LoPro and standard JS electronics. *Killer finish too! *I love mine, but need to sell to help pay off my honeymoon. *VERY light guitar too-comfy!

I'd love a JEM10th eventually-gorgeous guitars. *The 7VWH is great too. *Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong with any of them. *

Tags
air norton , beautiful guitar , ebony fingerboard , fret size , fretboard radius , jem neck , les paul , parker fly , playing guitar , pro edge , tone zone , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode