H E L P!!!!!!! - which jem to buy?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

H E L P!!!!!!! - which jem to buy??

I'm desperate to get a jem asap.....
I'm selling my les paul and 4 other guitars to get one.
The problem is - Which one to get??
Over here in England we have very little selection and only a few places stock them :-( (and did I mention that they are very expensive?)

I want to make sure that i make the right choice before I take the plunge and sell everything else i own.

What i have seen is a 77fp, 7vwh, and the 7dbk.

however i don't want to get the dbk just on the basis that it is cheaper than the others, i really want an amazing guitar. which out of these 3 guitars would you guys recomend on a playability and tone basis??

I have played on the 77fp and that is what made me think that a jem is the best guitar that money can buy. but I see so many comments saying that the vwh is the best (except for the 10)

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 06:34 AM

H E L P!!!!!!!

Well.... It all depends what kind of tone youre after.

OoDee
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

H E L P!!!!!!!

more PAW then UZ, I love the distorted lead tones of blue powder.... but also I love the clean tones of mellisas garden and call it sleep.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 07:22 AM

H E L P!!!!!!!

If you like PAW and the sound he gets there, I'd say go with something with PAF Pros - Breeds are a cross between those and Evolutions. The fact that Vai can play songs from all his works on Evo alone is not the point, but...

Trust me (and anybody else on this forum). If you buy a DBK you will not be getting a lesser guitar in the playability stakes. It might lack the glitz of some of the other Jems, but I'm sure it plays like a dream and sounds like a beast (depending on setup, of course).

I would suggest an older Jem, as they'd be cheaper and you wouldn't have to sell your soul to get one - or the DBK. Ask Rich Harris to get you one (see the top right corner?), as he is THE person to deal with. You might wind up saving only a little bit after shipping, etc. but he's a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Bottom line: DBK or FP.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 10:19 AM
rvj

H E L P!!!!!!!

7VWH...play it and see for youself.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 10:50 AM

H E L P!!!!!!!

If I would buy one now, it would be the vwh..it is just one of the greatest guitars out there.... But try them all, you will then know which one makes you tick...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:02 AM

H E L P!!!!!!!

I think you should play them all and decide which guitar "feels" and sounds right for you.

You can't go wrong with any of those three choices!

Good luck and keep us posted.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:12 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
H E L P!!!!!!!

Quote:
What i have seen is a 77fp, 7vwh, and the 7dbk.
If you want an AANJ then rule out the FP. If you can live without the AANJ then buy the FP.

The VWH is a great guitar, but IMHO the DBK is more versatile with the Breeds and rosewood fretboard. It also looks less "vai-ish" than the VWH if that matters. As fine as the VWH is, many don't like the white/gold combo.

Fortunately you cannot go wrong with either one. Good luck... glen
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 12:12 PM

H E L P!!!!!!!

It's such a luxury problem. You'll be pleased with any one of those guitars. To make matters worse I believe that you can still get a new BSB in the UK.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

H E L P!!!!!!!

cheers all!

- I have played the 7fp and loved it....
but played the 7bsb and hated it.....

- I'm not sure about the gold h/ware on the vwh but could live with it. I do love the look of it in every other way. Damn this is SOOO hard to choose.
My main problem is that I don't really have anywhere I can try out any of these guitars locally. I'd have to go at least 200 miles in any direction first to find a shop that stocks them.

well I'll rule out the Dbk for the ugly mirror scratchplate and the wizard neck.

the vwh or the fp?? what a choice!
I wish I could get a Jem10 :-)

which has the largest range of tones ?? the paf pros or the evos?? what are the general characteristics of each?

thanks for the help everyone :-) :-)

any more opinions would be much appreciated as I don't want to mess up this crucial buy
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 07:39 PM

H E L P!!!!!!!

Ok.

First of all I cant say Ive tried the FP.

But....just one consideration in favour of the 7VWH:

The neck...
<part of the guitar where fingers run up and down.........important part therefore> :sarcasm:

Ebony is just so smmooothhh....and looks nicer. You could actually feel you can play better
Not to mention the vine inlays...nicer than the green one.
AANJ can also be taken into consideration... although how many times do we go anywhere near it?

Just my opinion

p.s Im having just as much trouble chosing my next guitar...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 09:25 PM

H E L P!!!!!!!

Quote:
Quote: from kingpheeel on 6:45 pm on May 25, 2001

which has the largest range of tones ?? the paf pros or the evos?? what are the general characteristics of each?
They're all designed to have a very wide range of tones. *The PAF is better in the Neck position than in the bridge and vice versa for the EVOs...i haven't had enough listening time with the Breeds to give an educated opinion.

It sucks that you're so far away from being able to try out a 7V. *It's a nice guitar. *

A couple of people mentioned the AANJ - I have a newer UV which does have it and it's definitely a nice thing to have. *I also have a jem BFP which doesn't have it - and it doesn't really bother me enough to be an issue - the top scalloped frets make it easy enough to grab the high notes.

Going on the information you've given, I'd say go with the "Flo" and maybe stick an Evo in the bridge position.

if not, i hear Kevan has a Jem10 for sale for only $98,777.73 (plus shipping) :biggrin:

~Kenny
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 09:39 PM

H E L P!!!!!!!

I say the VWH is the way to go, seconded by the FP. *I think if you hated the BSB, you wouldn't like the DBK either, I believe the necks are very similar to each other, not the standard jem profile.
Good luck
Jeremy
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 06:30 AM

H E L P!!!!!!!

LOL Kenny!!

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

H E L P!!!!!!!

well..........

Today things got more complicated!
I decided (being as it is my day off) to take a train to birmingham and see if i could find a jem to try out other than the 555's (both of which seem to be in every shop claiming to be the jem 7!).
What I found was Vai2KDNA number 43!!!!!
I played on it for at least an hour and it totally blew away any previous conceptions i had of just how good a guitar can be.........
the problem is that it is 2799 (around $3600 I think)
therefore well over my budget and 1000 more than the VWH.

AAAAGGGGHHHH this is driving me crazeeeey

How does the VWH compare with the DNA???

Tags
bridge position , clean tone , jem bfp , les paul , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , rosewood fretboard , scalloped frets , scratch plate , standard jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode