Had a long hard think and.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Had a long hard think and....

I've been wanting to get a JEM ever since I layed my eyes on one when I was buying my first guitar, but now i'm a little more experienced in what guitars are about i've come to the conclusion that I really don't want to get a JEM but I want to get a "JEM".
By that I mean I've come across this really nice bloke on the internet called Herc Fade, basically I buy an RG??? and he does his magic on the paint job and grip thing and then I replace the pickups with what ever I want, Evo's maybe, and there I have a JEM and save my self around £400, ok so it doesn't have the name on the head stock but it's got the image, which is what I like about the JEM.
OK so most of you guys and girls out there probably think i'm being scabby by doing this, "it's not the real thing", to be quite honest i'd prefer to save about £400 (well even more than that because we're tlaking about swirl guitars) and have a guitar that I love, have you seen Mr. Fade's swirls nice
Just my thoughts on JEMs any way,

Dave

P.S. Secretly a JEM 7vwh would be nice, by I can't resist those swirls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:59 AM

As far as im aware though, the body could be made of basswood instead of alder, and the neck wouldnt be the same.

(Correct me if im wrong)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:00 AM

I believe that if you will be truly happy with a Jem replica then so be it but I doubt it since you secretly want a 7vwh.... save up..... you'll thank me in the long run....
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 09:03 AM

If you want a JEM, buy a JEM. I'm not convinced you'll end up saving.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

What I ment by that comment is that the real macoy will always be better but I don't really have the money to buy a JEM, I really want a swirled guitar and one with a grip thing, but if I were to buy a JEM then swirl it I'd be drowning in debt.
Basically for some one like me who is acctually a bassist in my band I don't really need an expensive guitar, although it would be nice. What ever happens, if I get a guitar with a swirl the guitarists in my band will probably nick it off me then have a punch up to decide who uses it, lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Only just seen the post further down, are JEM's worth it? I think several points in there back me up for getting an RG instead of a JEM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Banned

Buy a used Jem, possibly an older OOP model, and save that way.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 05:09 PM

I say go for it. You can get a great deal of satisfaction from having something made just the way you like it, the colors or control locations, whatever...and if you're saving some coin to boot, all the better. Sure it's not gonna be exactly like a production Jem, but if you're out to make something uniquely yours then who cares...as long as it plays like a shaved cat
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:25 PM

a shaved cat? does that have anything to do with the military 5hit?
(is anyone going to get that one lol)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
I say go for it. You can get a great deal of satisfaction from having something made just the way you like it, the colors or control locations, whatever...and if you're saving some coin to boot, all the better. Sure it's not gonna be exactly like a production Jem, but if you're out to make something uniquely yours then who cares...as long as it plays like a shaved cat
I agree here, I mean if you're gonna get a guitar thats custom made just the way you like it and save the $$??? You really can't beat that. Although while you're nailing the Jem look, you won't replicate the feel of the neck and the trem (unless you get an rg with lo-pro or newer)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 01:01 AM

Consider overall price.Can you get the guitar you wnat by buying a 7 series Jem? OR will oyu get the same guitar for alot more money by buying a RG and having it worked on? Once you figure that part out, then go for it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for undertstanding guys and girls. I think i'll still get the the RG570 because having played on one i'm very happy with it and it suits me. I can also get one dirt cheap so there's another bonus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode