Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WayOutThere, Man
Posts: 456
Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

I own an original BFP, and I was looking forward to ordering one of these new Premiums. Sadly, the flame of that desire has been completely doused. The painted floral print looks very bad, very cheapish. Not a fan of the tremolo either. The neck, however, felt pretty good and the frets were nice. Still, certainly not enough to make me a buyer. A Japanese reissue, similar to the FP 15 would be ideal, in my opinion.
jemboyee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 826
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Painted? What do you mean

Is it not an actual inlay?
Kyle am I is offline  
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,715
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

I think the new P looks far better than the original pattern. And in a far nicer color. But that's why they make chocolate too.
Rich is online  
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
I own an original BFP, and I was looking forward to ordering one of these new Premiums. Sadly, the flame of that desire has been completely doused. The painted floral print looks very bad, very cheapish. Not a fan of the tremolo either. The neck, however, felt pretty good and the frets were nice. Still, certainly not enough to make me a buyer. A Japanese reissue, similar to the FP 15 would be ideal, in my opinion.
IDK, I've only seen it in pics but it sure looks good to me.........

I still think it should have an O.E..........c'mon- it's a JEM!!
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WayOutThere, Man
Posts: 456
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

I thought it looked great in photos, too, but the painted floral pattern just looks wrong to me (think Chibanez). Perhaps I'm being overly critical, but considering the Jem505 and its vast superiority at a lesser price point, this one doesn't measure up in my eyes (at least not at $1599 street).
jemboyee is offline  
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
I thought it looked great in photos, too, but the painted floral pattern just looks wrong to me (think Chibanez). Perhaps I'm being overly critical, but considering the Jem505 and its vast superiority at a lesser price point, this one doesn't measure up in my eyes (at least not at $1599 street).
True. The 505 was one helluva bargain though. I doubt we'll ever see something like that again.........especially with the JEM Jr. available.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WayOutThere, Man
Posts: 456
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. I suppose that I'm expecting it to be closer to a reissue of sorts when in fact it is an economy Jem, first and foremost. In that regard, it certainly fits the bill.
jemboyee is offline  
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. I suppose that I'm expecting it to be closer to a reissue of sorts when in fact it is an economy Jem, first and foremost. In that regard, it certainly fits the bill.
That's the way I see it..... an economy JEM with a nod toward the BFP...... Still, it should have an Edge......LOL
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 PM
 
metalhead52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Omaha,NE
Posts: 790
Reviews: 1
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Agreed. Missing Edge is a deal killer, especially for $1600. Add an Edge and up the price to $1750. And please scallop the upper frets.
metalhead52 is offline  
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 1,934
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think the new P looks far better than the original pattern. And in a far nicer color. But that's why they make chocolate too.
I think I agree with the pattern. Color, looks exactly the same.

The guitar looks great in person. Looks way better than the Seafoam green. I still need another VSBL however, oh man!
rickcard71 is offline  
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: detroit
Posts: 931
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Agreed. Missing Edge is a deal killer, especially for $1600. Add an Edge and up the price to $1750. And please scallop the upper frets.
If it doesn't have an edge trem, it's not a jem. It's garbage.
We all know what the best core attributes of the jem are and that is one of, if not THE most important one.

"we made it affordable for you!" LOL!!!
POS RG is offline  
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:16 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 1,934
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Agreed. Missing Edge is a deal killer, especially for $1600. Add an Edge and up the price to $1750. And please scallop the upper frets.
Agree! Can an Edge be installed on one of these or is the routing in the wood different?
rickcard71 is offline  
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 87
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
Agree! Can an Edge be installed on one of these or is the routing in the wood different?
I was wondering that myself...
scalelokt is offline  
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalelokt View Post
I was wondering that myself...
No, it doesn't fit. A small amount of routing/sanding would have to be done to fit a LP/ED

The bigger deal would be moving the stud anchors. They're not right either.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 147
Re: Had a new 77P (BFP) in my hands today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
If it doesn't have an edge trem, it's not a jem. It's garbage.
We all know what the best core attributes of the jem are and that is one of, if not THE most important one.

"we made it affordable for you!" LOL!!!
Does that mean my Jem7v with an Edge Pro isn't a Jem? I have 2 EP equipped guitars and a premium EZII with ZPS. The EZII is functionally superior to the EP. The newer claw EZII apparently has a bigger sustain block which probably makes is better still. That said I am contemplating swapping the EP for an OE on my Jem.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
blkspade is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GUITAR NECKS - long hands vs short hands, satch_stef All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 42 07-24-2012 12:24 PM
GUITAR NECKS - long hands vs short hands & necks satch_stef All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 13 06-05-2012 09:11 AM
So...I got my hands on a RG3550MZ today... SonicProvocateur All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 9 01-26-2010 02:46 PM
look, ma, no hands!! straymond Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 2 04-09-2007 02:28 PM
Wet hands joann Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 11 09-22-2002 03:05 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome