Handrest for a UV? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Handrest for a UV?

Ok , i know someone here knows this.I really want to get a handrest for my UV (i know they dont make them anymore ,and that they weren't made for UV's)but i want one.So can someone here that has one tell me the measurements , then i can make adustments so it will fit and i can have it made.For some reason i think that Littlegreenman or Rich might be the ones to answer this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 07:57 AM

I have neither the mechanical ability to try and make one nor do I have the facilities to try and manufacture one.

I...however....would consider paying generously for a pair of them for my UV777BK and RG7620 if someone finds they've got a knack for it.

Please....before I have to drill out a body for a Trem-Setter.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:04 AM

Hello Venomous,
it's seems to me that is the day to help everybody, I like that...
Check this :
http://jemsite.com/origin/jem777_blueprint.jpg
Happy???
JS
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

i have a guy in mind to make this for me and he is very capable.does really nice work.so if i can get 1 made why not 3 or 4 right?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:15 AM

Have a look at this thread:

http://jemsite.insomnia-vhosting.com...light=handrest

Steve might be able to help you out.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

thanks ,now i know that one can be made.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 03:48 PM

Yup, I would have given ya the same thread hehehe. I've never made one, or had one for that matter. Steve is the dude to ask about making one
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 06:07 PM

Perhaps it won't be a surprise to find out that I'm about half way through making a 7-string sized one...
I was saving it as a 'surprise' to post it, but here the topic finally came up...

=]
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:58 AM

Well, after having taken a break over the holidays, my RG7-620GN now has my first 7-string handrest on it, as of earlier this evening. It's my test one.
I'm going to get a couple of shots of it as soon as I can.

It's very interesting.

I'll also mention in that other thread...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 09:23 PM

Okay:
7-string handrest on my RG7-620GN

There's the pics as promised; click on the pics on the left to make'em big.

Working great, comfy on the hand - slightly different construction from my original 6-string one(s) made for my LNG.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 09:32 PM

Reviews: 30
This could turn into a very lucrative business for you (especially here on jemsite). Keep up the good work man!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

i want one , i need one , how much for one?Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Those are cool and all, but at this point in my guitar playing career im trying to develope my pick hand so i can play really accurate and quick. I feel like a hand rest would force me to change my picking style and just plain get in the way. Plus, i dont really see the point of having em. Looks cool though/
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:35 PM

Dead Roman,
Your points are probably representative of the majority of people - like me, not having access to the handrests when I /really/ could have used them forced me to adjust how I worked my picking hand to keep from pushing the trem about.
But there are some who would still like the option of having an anchor point where they can brace their hand and not worry about warbling things, without affecting how the trem itself works.
Enter the handrest - stands over the trem (btw; it's adjustable, and made to be kept VERY low, so that you can rest your hand, yet still palm-mute without feeling like a foreign object is there), pull up unchanged (rest just sits there in 'neutral' position - but when it's time to dump the bar, the trem 'picks up' the handrest, and takes it along for the ride.

Look closely at the pics - it sits /just/ over the saddles. My good but somewhat skeptical friend's first test-play of my RG7 (he has two of them as well) had him literally saying that he tried to notice it, but simply couldn't. Apparently it was quite seamless in feel to him.
End result; he wants me to make two of them for him.

Anyway, you're right; it's not for everyone.
I'm just a) satisfying a 15 year old desire for this hardware by making it myself, and b) extending the idea to include our beloved 7-strings.

I wonder if Skarekrough is still hunting for this option?
=]
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:58 PM

that armrest looks pretty cool, i however don't have a need for one, but it does look cool, maybe with something written or drawn on it, it would look better

Tags
guitar playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode