Hands Sweating? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Hands Sweating?

Any of you fellow guitar players out there, do your hands ever sweat while playing, its gets so frustrating. I've seen Steve Vai, and he'd be doing a legato run or some other one hander and he quickly wipes the sweat off his palm. Is this a problem for any of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:52 PM

I used to consider it a problem when I first began playing guitar. It was a problem for me in my life too, whenever I would go to parties, anticipate meeting people, stuff like that. But anyway, when I would play it would drip onto the floor. BUT I got so used to it that now when they don't sweat, which is more often now that I'm older and don't get nervous as much, it feels strange to me. I think I play better when they are warm and sweaty. Cold & sweaty=BAD. Actually slightly damp is best, super dripping on the floor sweaty is too messy but I don't really ever get to that point any more.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 03:21 AM

i like it with a little sweat.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 10:44 AM

Tried a little anti persperant? might work.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 04:09 PM

On your hands dude?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 04:24 PM

Yikes it's been years since my hands overly sweated,i had the same kinda thing when i first started gigging but it kind of went away ... It does'nt bother me much anymore,but it's a pain when i cut a finger tip open,all hell breaks loose then

Rob
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 04:29 PM

Yes, you can use antiperspirant on your hands.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:04 PM

The only problems I've ever had with sweating is when my hands get a little sweaty and I can't grip the pick.

I'd drop about 10 picks a night.

Regular old fashioned Fender mediums.

Untill I switched to delrin picks.

Seems with delrin I get a BETTER grip when my hands are a little sweaty, and I like the sound and feel better as well.

Plus, I don't think you can wear these things out. I've been using the same one for months and except for getting a little shiny where I grip it, it shows no wear whatsoever.

But sweating is a part of life, and performing under hot lights is going to make you sweat. It's just something you have to get used to.

If it's very bothersome, or if you sweat like a fire-hose, see a doctor. They can help with that.

If it's not THAT bad, try some spray anti-persperant, yes, you can use that on your hands and you won't even know it's there.

Mic
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 05:53 AM

Do hands sweating have a bigger impact on JEM/UVs than on RGs, Prestiges, and other guitars?

I'm just wondering... as this doesn't seem to be "on topic" in this specific area.

Being a wise-ass, sorry...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:48 AM

It's not really on topic, I'm sure a mod will move it. :-)

Mic
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 02:48 PM

If he owns a Jem/Universe it's kinda on topic tho

Rob
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I do own a JEM 7V and this question doesn't seem to really fit anywhere else, sorry.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 08:34 AM

I'm also facing that problem too. My friend said anti-persperant may be helped. However, it doesn't work anymore. When playing my jem7bsb, my hand sweat comes
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:19 AM

My hands never sweat, but........

Hi- The solution to your situation is Gym Chalk... Calcium Carbonate. *NOT* Gymnastics Powder which is Talc (Gypsum). Just smooth a little onto your palms. It avoids that expensive surgery where they cut a nerve in your chest.....

You should be able to get a cube Gym Chalk from a decent fitness store, or you can get it from www.bodybuilding.com. Ususally around $2.00.

-= H/M =-
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 07:58 AM

i have that problem to an extent. affects my picking hand more so. i use dunlop tortex picks exlcusively now because they are grippier than anything else in a sweaty hand.

Tags
dunlop tortex , guitar players , playing guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode