It happened right before my very eyes... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It happened right before my very eyes...

So I get my new 777SK today, basically NOS. Plastic still on pickguard, all hardware and neck plate jet black, not a ding, nick, mark scratch anywhere. After a thorough look over, I decide to change the strings and make a few adjustments. Once I'm done, I look at the neck joint, and sure enough there before my eyes is now a finish crack! I know it wasn't there before, because that was one of the first things I check. Unreal. Oh well, I bought her to play her, and she plays like "butta." I just wouldn't have minded if it would've waited at least a week or so to pop up. Perhaps the change in climates coming from the mountains to Florida. Jeesh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:45 PM

That's to bad. But now it has a little character. Also I don't know if it's like this with other people but when I bought my used guitar I didn't really have the instinct to baby it and make sure it doesn't get scratched. I bought it to play it. So happy playing and congrats on the new guitar.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:15 PM

They should start building the neck joint crack into the guitars at the factory, since it's obviously a stress point that needs some relief...
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I don't believe this is an issue with the AANJ, is it? I've had no trouble with the VSBL.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:44 PM

Ever seen Evo?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Never really studied it, nor have I seen it in person.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:16 AM

Click on the "All About Evo" link.

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

That's way more than a finish crack. Besides, I believe his "style" of playing tends to "wear" on the guitar a tad more than normal. Do you have an AANJ with the finish crack?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:43 AM

Hmm, I haven't checked, I'll have a look at 'em when I get home.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:14 AM

That crack is there because evo's been dropped a few times, and is kinda getting old.

Not the old Ibanez heel finish crack that's on almost all guitars with the old heel.

wil..
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 04:06 AM

But i really do think people "cuddle" there guitars shall we say?

At the end of the day. the guitar is there to be played. And even if you have the most violent of playing styles.....a JEM will last you a good 10 years roughly i think.

Yeh you may lose resale value at the end and all that....but most people (like steve vai) get attatched to their guitars. And probably wont want to get rid of it in the end.

Because it has so many scratches and dings, it tells stories to you, it adds character.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given to Fly
That's to bad. But now it has a little character
People only say that dings add character to make people feel better :P we all know its not true
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:00 AM

i hate dings.

I just spent several thousand on a jem7vwh, and when/if it gets dinged, I'll cry, and seek therapy.

Maybe if I was steve vai, and recieved 10 a year, it wouldn't bother me so much! Perhaps it was the 3 years of saving......
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:35 AM

good point
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 1
Wow, that's really too bad! Climate change might have done it, or changing strings. It's just a guess, but I think that if it's NOS, it had those strings on it since '88 and no change in tension (playing, bending, whammy bar antics, etc.), so everything settled in at just that tension. When you popped the strings off and then put new ones on ... that might have been the first "flex" the neck had seen since it was in the factory. Maybe that did it.

Mysteriously, the '88 777DY I bought a month ago has no stress crack ... could it be the only one in history to survive unscathed? Ha ha.

--jr

Tags
neck bolts , neck joint , neck plate , pointy headstock , reverse headstock , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode