Happiness is a neck shim away:-) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Happiness is a neck shim away:-)

All it took to make a beautifull guitar even better was snipping a buisness card into a little piece and adding a shim to the neck, i seem to remember reading that jems come with a neck shim? well mine didnt and i have allways from day 1 thought it wasnt quite right , so i today shimmed the neck and its now as lovly as my rg2550 to play, hey i guess the dude that set it up wasnt as fussy as me maybe or it was a friday and he wanted to get home, any way now my 7v sbl is totally a dream to play as well as to look at . :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM

Most every Jem needs a neck shim IMHO. Congrats...it's one of the best uses for business cardsLOL.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:32 AM

could you post a pic or a drawing (lol) of the shim placement?

thx, and congrats!...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 12:33 PM

I just put two business cards on my BSB. It's an improvement!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

marianozz.... check the tech page here there are pics for different neck angles . thats the palce i see it needed a shim and that they are usually factory placed, mine wasnt.. if you dont have one and its not the most happy angle then try it only takes a few secs if you stuff a duster under the trem to slacken the strings so you dont have to completly re string . thats my easy tip . bye
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Vendor

It's much safer if the neck isn't restricted by strings or especially any string tension. [Not that I haven't done it many times though, but if you do take off all the unwound string tension left after to block up the bridge] I'd recomend pulling the trem with the strings on, pull the neck, put in the shim, give the studs a few twists out to compensate for the new neck angle, put it back together and tweak
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I'd recomend pulling the trem with the strings on, pull the neck, put in the shim, give the studs a few twists out to compensate for the new neck angle, put it back together and tweak
Have I ever directly thanked you for that tip in as many words, Rich? It's saved me HOURS of tech work over the years, since i first picked it up from your site. Hell, days probably. Probably the best single peice of guitar advice I've ever gotten (and a good part of the reason it was that much easier to say goodbye to my 2027)

-D
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 02:44 PM

thx for the tips peeps
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:42 AM

What does a neck shim actually do for playability? If you shim the neck, you just change neck angle relative to body, requiring you to raise the bridge .... or is this not an issue of action but rather of playing comfort?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 10:59 AM

In my case, I thought my bridge didn't go low enough, so i shimmed the neck. With the neck angle altered, i didn't have to have the studs hit bottom to have a good action. I also shimmed the nut a bit too so i had more clearance at lower frets. This way my neck is almost 100% straight and it plays like a dream!......well....before it got broken anyway.....(yeah but Rich told me a way to fix it so THANKS RICH!!!)

-Bo

p.s. i used metal shims that i got off of ebay instead of business cards for a brighter sound (jk ). i think the metal works really well. they even told me the thickness of the shims.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 PM

My new VWH shipped without a neck shim. I had a heck of time trying to get the action right, before I realized what it was. Amazing how something so simple can cause so much stress.

Tim
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

mine was the same it was causeing me a great deal of hassles but from the day i picked it up from the shop i knew so it was just a matter of getting round to shimming it , im used to doing it on fenders so it was just me thinking i can live with it the way it is ,,,, i didnt and couldnt :-)

Tags
neck angle , neck shim , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode