Hardware Shopping List - Help Please - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Talking Hardware Shopping List - Help Please

Okay, ...I'm having a custom Jem built and swirled by Herc. But, ...I have to come up with all of the hardware to take the neck and body to a fully finished guitar, so I need your help! I looked on Ibanez Rules site and there are little things here and there all over the place that I don't even know what they are! So, I don't know if I need them or not. I know the big things, but I'm depending on you guys to help me out so I don't miss anything. I'm new to jemsite and have never built a guitar before. I'll have a local tech assemble and do the initial setup. So here's what I know that I need. Please let me know what is missing from this list:

*Clear pickguard (coming from Herc with guitar body and neck)
*Pickups (Evo probably, maybe Evo2 in bridge position)
*LoPro Edge Tremolo (separate components involved beyond bridge itself? What about springs and screws n' such?)
*Volume pot
*Tone pot
*5-way switch
*Nut
*Tuners
*Input Jack (what all does this consist of?)
*Volume and tone knobs with 5-way switch cover too
*Strap Pins / Locks

That's all I can think of right now. Also, is Ibanez Rules the only place / best place to get this stuff? I don't have any history with this stuff or that vendor, but some of the stuff seems high. And some things I want don't appear (pickup colors and similar).

Thanks a billion! Can't wait till I see the swirl on my new Jem and get it assembled and in action! I picked black, blue, silver, green and possibly a very small accent of gold for the colors, with pyramid inlays, and my personalized logo on the headstock!

Last edited by tt0511; 10-19-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM

Re: Hardware Shopping List - Help Please

you need:
tuners, nut, string tree, truss rod cover, strings, pickups, 2x 500k pots, 5 way switch, knobs, switch tip, trem system, input jack (JEM style), neck screws and ferrules, cavity covers, strap pins, many misc guitar screws (luthier should have them)...
once you have that lot, hand it over to the tech and wait !

there are loads of places to get guitar hardware, I made a lot of contacts on the bay and do business outside of t'bay with them quite often.

have a look around at what you want.
sorry I couldnt give you a more comprehensive answer but... thats a big question !

and post pics mate !!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

What is a string tree? Is that the piece on the headstock behind the nut that pulls the strings down for the tuners?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Vendor

Factory parts are twice the price of generic aftermaket or used. Most parts for a custom never need to be factory and it all depends on how close to an original you want it to look.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM

yeah, but its not actually needed really, all it does is prevent the strings from pulling a little sharp when you lock your nuts down.....wow that just doesn't sound right at all, lol..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
rya

what bout that monkey grip?!?!?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya View Post
what bout that monkey grip?!?!?
Yeah, can't forget to bolt that on. I know Rich sells em', but I think he's out at the moment, of course he could just strip one off from one of his other guitars..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Yeah, can't forget to bolt that on. I know Rich sells em', but I think he's out at the moment, of course he could just strip one off from one of his other guitars..
Whah? The monkey grip is *in* the body of the guitar. What yu guys talkin' bout?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
Whah? The monkey grip is *in* the body of the guitar. What yu guys talkin' bout?
Yeah, but the aftermarket bolt-ons look so much better.

Your list looks pretty good so far. You might want to get cavity covers, too. I might have some stuff lying around here if you need it. I've done this type of thing several times.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Yeah, but the aftermarket bolt-ons look so much better.
But if you can't find one in stock, you can make your own with this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Alright, ...stop messin'. I'm just curious now. If it exists, I'd like to see it. But sounds more like a "milk-man grip" if you ask me.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I've found out that I have to have Japanese screws for the AANJ neck joint. I'm just wondering what the difference is between screws off Jap vs. Korean Ibanez guitars is. Rich said he's put in two orders for these screws and they have sent him the wrong ones both times. I haven't seen any on the bay that aren't from a korean made axe.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Id say the're just different lengths from comparing mine. the japanese aanj is a different shape to Korean

Tags
aanj neck , aanj neck joint , bridge position , cavity cover , custom jem , edge trem , guitar body , ibanez guitars , monkey grip , neck joint , neck screws , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , string tree , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode