Hartail to Edge - good or bad idea to mod a JS6/6000? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Hartail to Edge - good or bad idea to mod a JS6/6000?

Well, I am sitting on 3 hardtail JS models and one has to go to get a JS1000/1200 for more versatility - or does it? I might be inclined to have one of them modded with an Edge, but don't know which would be best to change. I know the JS2000 would be easy to do, but I gotta figure there would be a big gap leftover on either side of the cavity from the 2 mounting posts for the FX Edge. The JS6 or JS6000 could be done without any leftover holes, and I love a good Mahogany bodied tone, but kinda hate to trash either of these for the cause. Did I just convince myself to get a trem-equipped stocker, or do you guys support the logic behind idea of modifying a JS hardtail? Anyone gone that route and have an opinion either way? Thanks.
Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:41 PM

The JS6 and 6000 are actually pretty sought after, so I wouldn't "ruin" it to put a trem on it. I would pick the least favourite one of the 3, and sell it, or trade it in for a trem-equipped JS...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:45 PM

Please please PLEASE do not mess up your JS6 if you have one.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:56 PM

[gasp!] cut up a JS6/6000? so many guys are probably freaking at the thought of it. I couldn't imagine changing the nature of my 6000. PAWEL's right, they are pretty sought after... just sell one for enough to get a JS1000/1200... or if you're diggin' the thought of a mahogany body... perhaps a killer, high end 'S' [Sabre]??? Then you wouldn't have to incur the time, cost, hassle, worry of routing any guitar, and you'd still have what you want... mostly. just throwin' in my two cents... could I get my change now, please?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, the JS6 is already a bit "messed up", so I don't think it would hurt too badly. I'd probably do the 6000 since it seems to be a slightly "lesser" piece in most people's eyes, but a Chrome Edge would look pretty sharp on the "6".
Z
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 09:59 PM

Sell the 2000. Why? Because they still make them. :P You may even want to sell to 2000 and make you a custom mahog rg from EKG. There is a thought. Anyone else agree?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 08:46 AM

PLEASE! i BEG you not to do it.

The thought makes me wanna go and cry.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:48 PM

Well, since it's your guitar, do what you want to. But have it done PROFESSIONALLY.. and don't forget to post pics
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 01:52 AM

I actually thought of doing that to the 6000 when I had it.Had the body not been in good shape,I would of leaned more in that direction.When you consider drilling holes in the neck and a refinish plus possibly all new hardware,the risk and cost would be a bit much.But a mahogony js with an edge does sound tempting.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:07 AM

I'm still amazed that none of the aftermarket custom parts makers have done a JS body yet. There are so many people dying to get JSes in different body woods, different bridge options, built to take 7-string necks, different pickup options, etc.

Whomever does it first is going to have an instant backlog of orders.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 10:31 AM

Oh yeah, and they will also make a bob or two. They are in such demand.
I, like you am suprised that nobody has had a serious go at it yet. There are sooo many people that would be in the market for it. But no doubt it wont be too long before someone comes up with it surely!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I don't know how easy it would be to faithfully replicate the 3 dimensional structure of the JS body on a regular basis without CNC type tooling? IT'd certainly be a chore doing it by hand all the time, and that means big expense. Perhaps prohibitively so.

I've often thought about fitting an edge trem to my JS-6 (I'd get it done by the best UK luthier I'm aware of, Barry at Machinehead, rather than attempt it myself though.)

I bet it'd sound great though
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have resolved my dilemma by finding a used JS1000 cheap, as well as picking up a 540RHH, so any thoughts of modifying the Mahogany pieces are gone. Z
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 01:15 PM

Mmm... 540RHH. That wouldn't be the Jewel Blue one that was on eBay a few weeks ago, would it? Those are really sweet guitars.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Actually, this one was found in a big chain store at a pretty fair price and is the Ruby Red version. It has a Fred in the bridge and is in great shape. I agree that the Radius in general is a sweet ride and really wish they were easier to find or reintroduced so more of us could experience them. I have found the Radius/JS to be by far the most comfy guitar to play and am making them the focus of my collecting. Z

Tags
edge trem , mahogany body , maple fret , maple fretboard , string necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode