Has the 20th Anniversary Jem become a flop? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Has the 20th Anniversary Jem become a flop?

From what I can gather, the hard acrylic axe hasn’t gained much in the popularity polls! Was this the second biggest mistake after the 555?

Last edited by Rayzor; 08-27-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Reviews: 13
Re: Has the 20th Anniversary Jem become a flop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
From what I can gather, the hard acrylic axe hasnít gained much in the popularity polls! Was this the second biggest mistake after the 555?
You know, I thought the same thing for a while. I totally dig the guitar - I think the idea is pretty cool. I also played one and it played and sounded pretty sweet. Maybe the initial price tag out of the gate was a bit much. I think the music store near me that sold one automatically priced it at $4995 and I believe it sold right away.

Yet, I have saw one on evilbay for as low as $2500 at one point but I think that was last year when our economy was really in the crapper here in the US. I guess time will tell on that JEM though...

Xander
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Special or limited editions are harder to evaluate than a regular-production model. It's a success because Hoshino sold all the guitars in the edition. As Xander said, though, time will tell how the resale market develops through history.

In terms of interest (rather than dollars) the best-remembered Ibanez guitars of 2007 will be the RG550 re-issues.

Peace

Mike
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
From what I can gather, the hard acrylic axe hasnít gained much in the popularity polls! Was this the second biggest mistake after the 555?
do you have one?
i do and i can,t give two sh--- if people say its a flop.
get one then make up your own mind.

PS. the Jem 20th is awsome.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalupya View Post
do you have one?

I'm willing to bet it is a nice axe - but it retails at about $5,000, which I think is ridiculous. How many people can afford to shell out that knid of $$ for a guitar.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I'm willing to bet it is a nice axe - but it retails at about $5,000, which I think is ridiculous. How many people can afford to shell out that knid of $$ for a guitar.
The 500 or so that actually bought them?
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 21

Value is a concept determined by the buyer. If you have that much scratch and want one, you'll pay for it. If Ibanez sold all of them then for them, yes, it's a success for Ibanez.
I personally like the idea of an acrylic guitar. Maybe not the Jem but hey...
Maybe a solid color acrylic RG in red or blue like what BC Rich did a few years back. $1k or less for an RG in acrylic? If I could afford it at the time I might buy one.
Some people who hate on my Ibanez guitars wouldn't pay $5 bor them but that's their opinion. I personally love them and would pay (and have paid) quite a bit more.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:32 PM

If I could afford one I'd still probably get the Jem 10th instead, but I'm a sucker for both bound boards and ebony. I think the Jem 20th is cool, but it's way out of my price range these days.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalupya View Post
do you have one?

Glad you like it - I donít have one and have no desire to own one and before you assume, I can afford it! This wasnít a knock against those people who have bought one, just asking for an opinion.

Cheers
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:37 PM

From a player's perspective, I do not collect, I have zero use for that guitar. It sounds terrible.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Jams View Post
It sounds terrible.
Sounds OK to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7vyFnLvjw
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 PM

Just a stupid question. Are those Trans-JEM pickups good?
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
If I could afford one I'd still probably get the Jem 10th instead, but I'm a sucker for both bound boards and ebony. I think the Jem 20th is cool, but it's way out of my price range these days.
I think this is something very much along the right lines. I think that out of the numerous special editions that have been released over the 20 odd years, the 20th just didn't have the impact that any of the others did, perhaps because it's the most unusual it might be the least "guitar-like". I'd take any of the other special edition JEMs over the 20th, not that I think it's in any way a bad guitar, it's just it doesn't appeal to me as much the other special editions, which are less "off the wall" and more like "real" guitars.

It's a lot about perception, but I still reckon a lot of guitarists would rather play something that is very definately a guitar rather than something that could be percieved as half guitar, half gimmick, even if it's a fully functional instrument.

It also has the Edge-Pro
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
Just a stupid question. Are those Trans-JEM pickups good?
Not a stupid question at all. Every video I've seen is either Vai or a Vai wanna-be using as close to his FX-ed tone as they can get.

I'd like to hear the axe through less-FX and a clean amp to hear IT instead of the rest of the chain.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM

i would sell my UV77REMC before i sold my Jem20th. thats how much i like the Jem20th. only if i had to sell, that is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode