Has anyone ever tried a H-H-H pup configuration on a JEM? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone ever tried a H-H-H pup configuration on a JEM?

Everyone seems to complain about the single pickup on the JEM. Some replace it, some want it completely out of the way.
Has anyone ever done a mod to put a humbucker in the place of the single. I'm thinking an Evolution, ToneZone, PafPro configuration, with proper wiring, should give a very wide range of tonal capabilities on a JEM.

Is the idea feasable or is it an overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:32 PM

I think that the sound of the Jem single coil is unique to the guitar, and therefore should not be changed.

IMHO, it's overkill just because you'd have to rewire, and add swithces/push-pull pots etc.

I am happy with the H-S-H and the split five wiring - the clean tones are very nice with that single coil.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:40 PM

It would be rather different sounding and quite unique. It would look really cool, too! There are a couple of things that concern me with this:

1. Have you ever played a guitar with 3-humbuckers? Many people find this a little awkward since you are left with significantly less picking room. Sure, you can drop the pickup, but that'll effect the tone and we're not positive on whether or not you'll be happy with the sound of a humbucker there to begin with.

2. Magnetic string pull. Too much will lessen your sustain. Reducing the heights of the pickups will help lessen this but you'll still have more string pull with a humbucker there than if you had a single. How significant of an effect this will have will depend greatly on the particular pickup you choose and how you have it adjusted. Whether or not the final result will be undesireable for you, well, that's ultimately an opinion and we won't know until it's actually experienced.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Hope this info helps you some.

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:58 PM

I have a Les Paul with 3 pickups. I like it, but not enough to make me stay with 3-pickup H's for the future. In fact my new LP will not have a middle pickup. I do keep the middle pickup down low, but it's not as annoying as a single coil. Quite possibly due to the fact that the pickup is covered and has more surface so it's easier to deal with and won't cramp your picking style. Plus with a single coil generally it's needed closer to the strings to get full broadcast so I would never buy a guitar with a middle single coil... EVER! That's when custom guitars come in to play!

Die middle single coil! Just DIE already!

Sorry everyone, you know how I feel on this topic. I am a strat owner as well so I don't need a single coil on any other guitar. If I wan't the strat 'sound' I'll whip out my strat. I won't get into my dislike for the 5-way pickup switch too...

Gabe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 03:08 PM

I think that if you're serious about replacing the single coil on a JEM, a stacked single coil would work best. The Fast Track I & II are both great pickups, and I know there are a ton of others out there as well. It'd be a lot easier than getting a new pickguard, etc.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
...so I would never buy a guitar with a middle single coil... EVER! That's when custom guitars come in to play!...Die middle single coil! Just DIE already!....I don't need a single coil on any other guitar. If I wan't the strat 'sound' I'll whip out my strat. I won't get into my dislike for the 5-way pickup switch too...

Gabe
Gabe, is this blasphemy? How did you wind up here on Jemsite? Didn't you own (at least) a Jem 10????
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:02 PM

Well, i don´t think that would be a great idea. Singles give great sound when mixed with doubles (easy to do with a push pull) and my favourite for clean tone is the three single coil sound at the time (have on my rg with two fenders and an splitted Fred). Anyway, if you do it, the pickups suggested are not the best choice IMO, i´ll try softer pups in the upper positions, for example, Air Norton-PAF Pro-Tone Zone(or Evo, but i prefer the tz), Air N- PAF p-Fred, PAF-PAF-TZ, PAF-Fred-TZ, etc..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:02 AM

three hummers...

I have an RG560 that I had chopped up to fit in 3 humbuckers, and it's still my main guitar to this day... Hope the pic works, never tried poting one. It has a PAF Pro in the neck, a Duncan JB in the bridge, and the middle is actually the neck pickup of a Kramer (eew, i know) sustainer system. It was modded back around 89 or 90. The little switches are no longer active, just tone, volume, and 5-way. Position #1 is full bridge, #2 is bridge side coil with neck side neck coil. #3 is the middle pickup alone. #4 is the middle pickup tapped with the neck pickup out of phase (oddly a squealy tele tone like Keith Richards...don't ask me how) and of course #5 is the full neck pickup. The PGM next to it in the pic is comletely stock, aside from the dragon sticker...
Sorry...i tried the pic here, but I just don't get it...those interested, here's the url to see the pic. There's one pop-up, just kill it, angelfire blows that way...it wouldn't even let me do it with the url...you get some stupid loadblock thing... just put it in the address... www.angelfire.com/az3/pharaohstoys/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:36 PM

Frankly, i like the Single Coil

Well, I like the single coil, especially on my Fender Deville with delay and chorus...oh yeah....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
Gabe, is this blasphemy? How did you wind up here on Jemsite? Didn't you own (at least) a Jem 10????
I've owned 7 Jems over the years. Never did like the middle pickup and would lower it down to the point of flatness. Only used position 1 and 5 on the switch.

In comes the Jem Custom, which has 2 humbucker cavities... Woo Hoo! AND a 3-way selector switch! Double Woo Hoo!

Gabe
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:31 PM
EKG

Gabe - you are not alone. I get a lot of requests with the single omitted. And most are rear routed electronics with direct mounted pups.

Tags
air norton , clean tone , custom guitar , custom guitars , jem custom , keith richards , les paul , neck pickup , paf pro , pickup switch , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode