has EVO finally retired? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

has EVO finally retired?

just got home from a g3 concert and through the entire
set Mr. Vai didn't use EVO once...
mostly flo....

has the neck-joint cracks finally caught up with evo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 05:48 AM

He used EVO on Answers last week (6-13). Sounded pretty [email protected] though.
Must've been some preset gone awry. Evo stayed in tune as far as I can remember.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 01:43 PM

Funny, I heard he retired EVO from touring. You sure you weren't seeing EVO II or FLO?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 02:05 PM

Yeah, that guitar has to be past it, no doubt it was very hard for him to retire her, but it had to be done. I too have noticed from recent pics that he has been using FLO very often. That is defenitely the one that has taken over as his main player I think. That neck crack on EVO was just pure painful to see.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 02:08 PM

EVO is still on tour saw it myself during G3 in Copenhagen on the 14th this month. Vai used it at stated during Answers but it seems like FLO has become his main guitar. He used FLO II also but that was because the high E string cracked on FLO during "Whispering with a Prayer".

Kind Regards

André

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 03:59 PM

I can't imagine how he feels . That guitar was like his third arm. But i think we all would agree that if he kept touring with it, it would have eventually $h*t the bed. Sad to see it go, but i do love flo with the sustainer and gold hardware. If i am seeing right on the astoria dvd, doesn't flo have a slight crack too?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:48 PM

I don't know why, I don't like FLO that much. I get all happy whenever he uses trusty ol' EVO on the Astroria DVD. I wish he would use EVO II or something instead of FLO.

...yeah, yeah, I know "FLO has the sustainer".
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

wonder what the old girl would go for on Evilbay....

Mr. Gates, wrap open thine wallet!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
If i am seeing right on the astoria dvd, doesn't flo have a slight crack too?
That's kind o right ;-)
Flo got a crack, but it's probably just a paintcrack, which is very common on the JEM's without the All Access Neck Joint. It's probably just the paint.

And speaking of Evo, I'm sure that he used that guitar on the G3 Show in Oslo on Friday june 20. So, she's not retired..yet.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

what song in oslo would that be?

..tried to keep a keen eye out for her....

is flo's sustainiac evolution-customized, btw?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 07:07 AM

Probably answers.

I've seen some photo's, btw. Not very clear but to me either it's another body or it has gotten a paintjob on Evo.

Flo has a fernandes sustainer in the neck position and a dimarzio (evo/pogo/breed/paf) in the bridge. Since it used to be a floral and sustainers don't come commercially on Jems, you could say it's customized...
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 07:50 AM

so he is back to basswood and rosewood! like the old days.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 09:03 AM

I thought I saw EVO too, but now that people bring up EVO II I'm not 100% sure which one he used. I'm quite sure FLO was the third guitar he used on that show. Anyone with pics perhaps?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:06 PM

I didn't know there was a FloII. Is it identical to Flo (is it actually a floral painted white) or is it called that just 'cause it has a sustainer. G3 is on tour here, and I'm going to miss it I hope to see vai if/when he tours his new album ..Maybe I will never see the REAL Evo and Flo.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Flo II is a regular VWH, with a sustainer.
Just like Evo II is a regular VWH..without a sustainer.. I don't think it was Evo II btw, on the pictures I saw, the body was discolord like Evo, but just way too little wood damage (as far as I could see). Evo II is hail white, not smoke brown like it has been sitting in Rich's living room for 10 years.. Maybe it just was evo....

Oh, btw...Euro solo tour planned next year.

Tags
access neck joint , dave weiner , david lee roth , fernandes sustainer , neck joint , neck position , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

i just retired now what

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode