To heck with 22 frets - Do you hear me Joe???? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

To heck with 22 frets - Do you hear me Joe????

OK... No equivocations... Ibanez rules in the guitar making field. I love em' (upper end models only)
BUT!!!
Couldnt they make a JS Series guitar with 24 frets?????????????????????????

I mean Dang!!!
I have over 20+ guitars after selling all but one guitars that were 22 frets.( had 30 +) I have no use for a 22 fret guitar of any kind let alone a 21 fret like fender and some others have made. What were they thinking??
I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this way!!!

I remeber it clearly: Were playing a huge show last summer on *a Huge street festival, There were like 2000 people all crowded around the stage, we're rockin the hut like never before and its solo time for me... I'm feeling the groovin, got all these fans in front of me, I just gave the old faithful, Jem LNG a break and I'm playing my ESP George Lynch sunburst tiger (22 fret) I go for the long slide up to the 19th fret to start my solo and OOPS!!! I slide up to the 17th fret instead!! AAARRRGGGG!! Man! i know its technically my fault but being a 24 gret player, my hand and mind mentally have the fret location set according to the lower horn of the guitar!!
So after that show i vowed to do away with any 22 fret guitars that i have... And thats what i have done, with the exception of a very early pre-production Lynch ESP..

So again I ask: Please make a JS seires with 24 frets. Love the guitar- hate the frets!!

Any one else out there feel this way???

Peace

Scott

(Edited by vwall at 9:06 pm on Feb. 26, 2001)

(Edited by vwall at 9:08 pm on Feb. 26, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 08:39 PM

To heck with 22 frets

Dude, they make decaf that tastes just as good as regular now:biggrin:

J>
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:01 PM

Reviews: 2
To heck with 22 frets

I don't think there is much of a difference between 22 or 24 frets. The fret wire on the js is different and maybe that could be a different feeling, but in all actuallity, the only use would be the d# and e on that high e string. Everything else you have on a 22fret guitar.

If your soloing up there allthe time then i think thats a personal problem, but there is no real difference for me...although I wouldn't discourage a 24 fret js, but then again whats the use when you have a jem.

Even 21 fret guitars are capable players.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:06 PM

To heck with 22 frets

sheesh i could do with a 12 fret guitar...

* ...of course im no shredder by ANY means...
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:07 PM
Vendor

To heck with 22 frets

It's been stated so many times already, but for the benefit of the newcomers, SIGNATURE models are under the complete control of the artist. If until Satch wants to switch his sig model to 24 fret, you won't see one. If Stevie wants a pink UV, that's the only way you'll see it. Follow?
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:42 PM

To heck with 22 frets

I imagine I'd be all over a JS model, were there one with 24 frets. It's a sleek and rounded body that I like the look of very much. Unfortunately, I do use the upper register of my UV and RG all the time, and hence feel lost on less than 24 frets.
It's a real shame; however, for exactly the reasons that Rich has reiterated, I don't expect to see one, except as a custom made/after-market version.
Hell's bells, but doesn't Joe make mighty use of those 22?!? My previous monsters I put together with Stra*t-type bodies and Kramer necks are 22 fret necks. At the time, that was fine. Nowadays, I'm used to both 7 strings and 24 frets. I guess I just need all the 'advantage' that I can get.
=]
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:47 PM
Vendor

To heck with 22 frets

If anybody's interested, and wants to drop the dime, Paul Urizar (goldboy) has a custom 7 string 24 fret flame maple top 7 string that needs finishing FOR SALE.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:49 PM
Vendor

To heck with 22 frets

Forgot the good part, JS :biggrin:
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

To heck with 22 frets

Quote:
Quote: from steve on 10:42 pm on Feb. 26, 2001
but doesn't Joe make mighty use of those 22?!?
You got that right!!! I am always astonished at his use of a 22 fret guitar!!

The JS series guitars will always rock!! It would just be nice to have a 24 fretter, thats all

Play loud!!

scott
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 10:25 AM

To heck with 22 frets

How often do any of you actually play notes on the 24th fret?

Personally, i prefer 24 frets becuase it helps me with visual orientation around the upper register of the guitar, but i certainly don't find it to be a major problem if a guitar only has 22 frets.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

To heck with 22 frets

Well considerring I am mainly a lead player, i get around the entire neck quite a bit. I play on thre 24th fret often.

As you say ,for you its not a problem, but for me it is. I dont like 22 fret guitars. 21/22 fret guitars are inferior instruments to me. The whole 2 octave thing is better.Dont get me wrong, they make great 22 fret guitars, just not for me. There have been countless times i have seen guitars and was about to buy them til i noticed they were 22 fretters... many dissapointments there

Long live the 24's

scott
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 08:08 PM

To heck with 22 frets

7-String JS? 24 frets you say?
Hmmmmm...
Are there any pictures available of that project?

Darren, myself I genuinely do use the upper register a /lot/ - enough so that I have problems with 22. I actually had a lovely Fernandez guitar that was my first 24 fret instrument, and that really set things up for me. Ultimately, when I went on to the Jem 77FP and then the UV7BK, I was completely 'converted.' Those 22 fret guitars are locked away in cases, disassembled.
I suppose the orientation factor comes into it, too... the symmetry is more useable, I guess.
It just 'feels' right, and that's ultimately how I judge what I use. I'm sure we all do that.
Besides, if I went 'up against' Joe in a Butler/Lightnin' Boy competition, it'd have to be levelled by having me with 24 frets, 7 strings, and Joe with 3 strings (one of which would have to be broken) on a 10 fret instrument. And he'd have to be blindfolded... with his picking hand tied behind his back...
Then, and ONLY then, would I have a chance.
... who am I kidding? His two strings and that powerful legato hand would probably still win the day.
=]
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 11:31 PM

To heck with 22 frets

I use 23-24 quite often on the high E, mainly because Petrucci uses them liberally in a lot of his solos.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 11:57 PM

To heck with 22 frets

Yeah, lets see some pics of the unfinished custom JS7 if possible.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 2
To heck with 22 frets

Satch with 10 frets and two strings. I bet he could write an entire song with that. Let alone unleash some type of madness.
Closed Thread

Tags
body shape , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , coil tap , flame maple , fret aanj , fret board , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , fret necks , fret wire , guitar mag , jem lng , joe satriani , les paul , neck evo , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , neck pup , signature guitar , strat body , upper fret , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode