hello - Jem 70V, why the bad rep??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

hello - Jem 70V, why the bad rep???

Hello all, ive noticed the Jem 70V has a bad rep? Why is this? Some of the complaints im seeing are such minor things that are sorted within a few minutes. Every guitar i have ever bought has needed some adjustment to suit my needs. I would certainly never complain about a guitar for these reasons. Persistent or major issues are fair enough but just take it back to the shop fir them to set it up for you. It took me maybe 30 mins to set the trem to my liking and some adjustment to the intination, since then i have never had to make any further adjustment and i play for hours 6 days a week. I have also juat fitted a fernandes sustainer to mine and WoW it works very well in this guitar

id be interested to hear peoples opinions on this.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Re: hello - Jem 70V, why the bad rep???

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1kenufc View Post
Hello all, ive noticed the Jem 70V has a bad rep? Why is this? Some of the complaints im seeing are such minor things that are sorted within a few minutes. Every guitar i have ever bought has needed some adjustment to suit my needs. I would certainly never complain about a guitar for these reasons. Persistent or major issues are fair enough but just take it back to the shop fir them to set it up for you. It took me maybe 30 mins to set the trem to my liking and some adjustment to the intination, since then i have never had to make any further adjustment and i play for hours 6 days a week. I have also juat fitted a fernandes sustainer to mine and WoW it works very well in this guitar

id be interested to hear peoples opinions on this.

Mike
It comes from the poor QA in the premium line. Where there are likely to be numerous defects that can't be fixed by turning a few screws. Some are just cosmetic, but others are functional flaws in the build. Like stress cracks in the body, poor fretwork or neck assembly. The only 70V I've seen and played in store, had one of the wood stripes in the neck sticking through.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkspade View Post
It comes from the poor QA in the premium line. Where there are likely to be numerous defects that can't be fixed by turning a few screws. Some are just cosmetic, but others are functional flaws in the build. Like stress cracks in the body, poor fretwork or neck assembly. The only 70V I've seen and played in store, had one of the wood stripes in the neck sticking through.
Seems a shame, theres always the odd bad one that slips throu QA ive seen some awful 555s but again theyre sub 1000. I guess the rule is go and play before you buy and make sure your not getting a bad one, mines perfect apart from the finishing in the screw cavities where the neck bolts on are a tiny bit untidy.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 2

For most people, the problem comes from a multitude of "small" issues on what is, IMO, a very expensive guitar. I understand people getting upset when, having spent that much money, their guitar often needs to be completely dis-assembled and re-fit before it can be a truly great player.

In my experience, there hasn't been a single Premium signature that was "ready to rock" straight from the factory.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 12:35 PM

I could mostly overlook the cosmetic faults, but then again they shouldn't be a thing on $1500 product. When you consider a Jem is largely about aesthetics in the first place, thats like a double fail. Whats a shame about the premiums, is that after a while it seems like the good ones are the odd balls. So anyone intent on getting a premium should definitely be doing so in person to touch it and visually inspect it.

I have a pretty decent premium RG920 that seemed perfect but eventually showed to have a single flaw. One of the frets isn't particularly flush so the high E string can actually slip under it on occasion. It's only happened twice in the 2 years I've had the guitar. I also only paid $650 for it.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15

Tags
70v , fernandes sustainer , ibanez , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode