Help with desert sun yellow - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Help with desert sun yellow

hello all, i love my 87 rg550dsy. i am contemplating ordering a suhr modern in desert sun yellow and need a paint swash. can anyone help me out here? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Help with desert sun yellow

Why do heaps of people go on about Suhr's in here? Are they really awesome guitars?..... they have terrible looks, especially the headstock. They may be great but man.... those headstocks, and some of the shapes. No thanks.

As for the color matching.... got no idea.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM

You're probably 95% of the way there or more with House of Kolor Yellow Neon.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Macka, they are very very high quality, awesome guitars.

Their styles are an acquired taste, but I believe them to be like the Warwick of guitars.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
but I believe them to be like the Warwick of guitars.
It is a lovely town and castle and the service area off the M40 is easily my favourite.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
It is a lovely town and castle and the service area off the M40 is easily my favourite.
In that case my friend, you have not sampled the pleasures of Westmoreland on the M6 just south of the Lakes
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
Why do heaps of people go on about Suhr's in here? Are they really awesome guitars?..... they have terrible looks, especially the headstock. They may be great but man.... those headstocks, and some of the shapes. No thanks.
People probably said the same thing about Paul Reed Smith when he started making guitars public. "Who is this cat and why should I buy his rediculously overpriced guitars? I don't care if Santana plays them..." Same thing with Bernie Rico's guitars. Yet they still have a following...quality is as quality does.

I will say to your paint predicament that NE501 Neon Yellow is closer to the Ibanez RG350MYE yellow and the House of Kolor NE508 Chartreuse Yellow is probably a whole lot closer to the real Desert Sun Yellow, it is more mellow. You may try mixing the two.

NE501:

NE508:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
they have terrible looks, especially the headstock.
Yes, just horrible... I mean who would own such a hideous thing as this?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Why do heaps of people go on about Suhr's in here? Are they really awesome guitars?
If you've got five to six grand to spend on a single guitar, I can think of no better guitar to spend it on.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've been trying to find a nice Suhr for a while (years rather than months) and haven't managed to find one that's as much fun to play as my JEMs... and Macka, yes the headstock does put me off slightly, you're not alone. As to why folks go on about them, they're the latest "top flight" fad, like PRS have been, like Anderson have been and so on. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing guitars, but they also have the "en vogue" stamp on them at the moment which I think multiplies their popularity somewhat.

As for SonicProvocateur's comment's he might be right, in that the Neon yellow looks a bit "warm" to me, but it's been well over 20 years since some the DYs were new. I can't remember just how "yellow" they actually were, but either of those two colours would look stunning on a top flight superstrat.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've been trying to find a nice Suhr for a while (years rather than months) and haven't managed to find one that's as much fun to play as my JEMs... and Macka, yes the headstock does put me off slightly, you're not alone. As to why folks go on about them, they're the latest "top flight" fad, like PRS have been, like Anderson have been and so on. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing guitars, but they also have the "en vogue" stamp on them at the moment which I think multiplies their popularity somewhat.
Yeah, there's a fad right now, but there's more to it than that. From reading John Suhr's post on TGP and from my (very brief) discussions with him there, I liked that he seems unique to me in that he's an old-school guy that is actively embracing the future.

For example, he'll tell you that he thinks a thin-as-possible finish sounds best but will also tell you that the days of spray tons of nitro out the back door into the atmosphere are almost over.

Without derailing further, from his willingness to engage others on the TGP forums in various topics without comming off like he's trying to hawk his wares, I'm about as impressed with Suhr as I could be without actually playing one, for whatever that's worth.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Absolutely, John is a top guy and regular contributer over at TGP and I agree is there as a luthier and guitarist who just happens to make some of the best guitars in the world, if that happens to get him more business then props to him for going about it the right way

I love what John's doing and (despite the look of the headstock ) I'd play Suhr if I could find one that actually did the job better than what I've got so I won't take anythign away from his guitars. I just think that the internet has created a buzz around these guitars like word of mouth did with PRS in the late 80s and Anderson in the early 90s. Because we have the internet now, the buzz is bigger and doesn't rely on conversations in guitar store demo rooms
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Is it just me?? What is this thread doing here on the Jem/Universe section?? The nearest it has to do with Ibanez is the fact that you have a RG550 and nothing else!!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Reviews: 39

A survivor of the DY from Rich's site:

Versus the new reissue:

There later ones (I believe, with bolder pink pickups, less orangish) are more neonish and more closely resemble the the reissues and look more like the 550's. So when it comes down to the brass tacks of the color palette, I still think you could mix the chartreuse and neon and get a good bold neon yellow that is pretty spot on desert yellow.

Sorry for the load times, Rich's pics are huge and awesome!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
A survivor of the DY from Rich's site:!
One thing to keep in mind is that 777s is that they yellow with age. The clear coat yellows over time and this tints the overall color. There's also lighting, of course. Comparing an aged 777DY under yellow indoor lighting vs. a brand new guitar outdoors isn't a great comparison.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode