Help ID JEM, possibly fake - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Help ID JEM, possibly fake

Whoa! Have you ever seen something like this done to a JEM?

A rather cruel punishment, especially the Cobain Sticker - I bet someone really hated this guitar, disfiguring it in such a bad way..

Well, to the point, this "thing" is in on evilBay Germany right now, item number 230018225396, and the seller pretends to know nothing about it. the auction title is "old guitar", and there is no item description whatsoever. I have got a strong suspicion that it's a fake and the seller just pretends to be stupid.

Aparently the pyramid inlays have been painted with magic marker - gross.

What do all ya experts think?

Last edited by helios; 08-16-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Re: Help ID JEM, possibly fake

No monkey grip = not a Jem

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 08-16-2006 at 11:48 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I noticed that too, no monkeygrip. If it were a 777LNG, i'd say that looks terrible and shame on the person who did it, but it clearly isn't a Jem.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Look again.
The person who despises Steve Vai so much was clever enough to cover it up. BTW, thinking about it that way, I guess anyone who ever seriously tried playing some Vai stuff and failed could end up taking his revenge this way :-)

More pix at http://cgi.xbay.de/ws/xBayISAPI.dll?...m=230018225396
(replace x by e here --^ -- and -- ^)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 AM

The bumper sticker is covering the grip, there are more photos of the back on the auction descrip. Don't know on this one.....body looks real, the magic marker on the neck is totally screwed, maybe the guy just marked over the real inlays. I think on the real LNG's the body itself was signed, not the trem cover as shown on this guitar.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM

Oh man, I cannot believe the person did that. I had a funny feeling that it could've possibly have been a 777LNG. That looks terrible, how he took a black magic marker to the inlays, pickups, etc.

You could somehow rescue it though. I'd take something to the magic marker and clean it up a bit, that's if you're planning on acquiring it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Well yeah, if it is real I am planning to acqire it. I don't think it should be too hard to clean off the "dirt" and the sticker. The question still is, is it real, though. I asked for the S/N, but I guess even that could easily be faked. Tough.

Bu knowing the great bay, I sure there are tons of whackos out there who bid like $2000 for it without knowing anythink about its origin, so I guess I'll be outbid even if I try.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM

I just looked at the pictures on the auction, it looks real to me. I would acquire it and clean it up definately. It has 9 bids on it right now though. If you get it, nice score. It isn't all that hard to get magic marker off.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 AM

It looks as if the first numbers are 88 and the back plate says #678
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios View Post
Look again.
The person who despises Steve Vai so much was clever enough to cover it up. BTW, thinking about it that way, I guess anyone who ever seriously tried playing some Vai stuff and failed could end up taking his revenge this way :-)

More pix at http://cgi.xbay.de/ws/xBayISAPI.dll?...m=230018225396
(replace x by e here --^ -- and -- ^)
My god! who the hell would do that?? I at least figured you'd be able to see the impression of the grip in the sticker. Well.....now after seeing the back shot. Looks to be the real McCoy. You can see the Jem back plate as well.

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 08-16-2006 at 11:49 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

this has to go in the STICKY fake or auction threads only... glen

closed
Closed Thread

Tags
monkey grip , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode