Help ID my stolen guitar! PLEASE! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Help ID my stolen guitar! PLEASE!

My guitar was stolen when my house was robbed last week. I'm now attempting to ID exactly what it was that I had. I bought it on the spur of the moment about 7-8 years ago, and the shop that sold it too me is long gone, and no, I don't have a receipt or a serial number. I was told it was a custom that someone ordered and then backed out on, and I played it and loved it so it bought it. Looking at these pictures here to ID it brings tears to my eyes.

Now however, I've got to replace it. I've looked all over this site, at every picture I can find, but its

It was black. With 5 position switch, one tone and one volume control.
It had mother of pearl pyramid inlays.
IT HAD NO HOLES IN THE BODY (thats what throws me).

It had a two piece neck, (about fret 5 there was a curved line across the back of the neck, like the pictures on this site)

It has all black hardware.

It was a ibanez edge ,a low pro I think, definetly no scallups like the picture on the termolo page (i've seen the pictures on the website of the edge, with the little white plastic rings)

looks exactly like the bottom right here, execpt black hardware and no monkey grip.
http://jemsiteforum.com/ibzcat/jem_90int2.jpg

which seems to be a 7p. but mine was a 6 string.

My questions...

Would such a guitar be on record with ibanez when it was made?

Where there any other ibanez guitars made with the MOP pyramid inlay? (Maybe it wasn't actually a Jem, I don't care, it was a great guitar, so don't worry about it)

How much would a replacement cost? (if its braking any rules, then ignore this question)

Thanks in advance

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:13 AM

All JEMs are 6-strings. The Universe is a 7-string model. So it looks like yours was a JEM7PBK.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:39 AM

Did the headstock logo have the word 'Jem' on it under the Ibanez logo? *If so then you had a modified body PBK (filled in hole) or custom body PBK (new body altogether).

I'm unaware of any Ibanez with Pyramid inlays except the Jem/UV.

A replacement PBK could run you from $800 - $1200.

If the model has one or more '7's' in it, that doesn't necessarily designate it as a 7 string.

Gabe
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:40 AM

Looks to me like it was an RG with a custom pyramid inlay down the neck, seeing as you say it has no monkey grip and has black hardware (I don't think any of the jems had black hardware).

Condolences on losing your guitar, a similar thing happened to me almost a year ago when someone ran off with my purple jem a like beauty...

If it is an RG with a custom inlay, then to replace it you'll simply need to find an RG that plays and feels like it and then get someone to do custom inlaying on the neck (replace the dots), or go shopping for a totally new one.

Hope it works out,

James
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:43 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

overseas, what dealers would do is obtain JEM necks and put them on RG bodies. It appears this is what was done. For insurance purposes, it would be safe to call it a JEM7PBK, given the JEM7PBK neck... glen
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:28 PM

I'm sad to hear about your loss. Even if you get a full refund through your insurance there will always be things that are impossible to replace after a robbery.

If you have gigged with your guitar there's always a chance that someone has taken some pictures of you with the guitar. Have you asked your friends whether they might have any? The others that have answered here propably got it right anyway but it could give more clarity to the identification issue.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:49 PM

It may have been a RG550(ex or older 550) with a custom neck or something..........
Did it look anything like this black one?:

This is an EX but the older 550's looked the same but with a black pickguard (I think)

(Edited by MrNiceguy87 at 1:52 pm on Feb. 12, 2002)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 02:49 PM

whereabouts are you?

where should be looking out for your guitar?

Best wishes

Simon
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 12:19 PM

Quote:
jemsite on 11:43 am on Feb. 12, 2002
overseas, what dealers would do is obtain JEM necks and put them on RG bodies. It appears this is what was done. For insurance purposes, it would be safe to call it a JEM7PBK, given the JEM7PBK neck... glen
A few years back I saw a orange RG body with a DY neck in a guitar shop. Didn't know what to make of it at the time, I actually thought I discovered a prototype JEM or something...

But Glen was nice enough to enlighten me to what was going on. This sounds like a similar thing, a RG body with the PBK neck.

Hope you get it back.

P.S.
Let's keep our eyes open on eBay for a guitar like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 07:50 AM

MrNiceGuy,
how da hell have you posted a picture right there (w/o link)???
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Joel Lindgard on 5:19 pm on Feb. 13, 2002
Quote:
jemsite on 11:43 am on Feb. 12, 2002
A few years back I saw a orange RG body with a DY neck in a guitar shop. Didn't know what to make of it at the time, I actually thought I discovered a prototype JEM or something...

But Glen was nice enough to enlighten me to what was going on. This sounds like a similar thing, a RG body with the PBK neck.

Hope you get it back.

P.S.
Let's keep our eyes open on eBay for a guitar like this.
I saw a similar thing on Denmark St in London in the early 90s. I distinctly remember seeing an Ibanez made up from a black RG body with a green vine neck off a 7VBK. It also had green pups (dunno if they were paf pros) but no monkey grip or lions claw etc.

Matt
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 09:19 AM

I got your message about this.
Good to see another Reading based guitarist on the site.
I've contacted my friend who is in a local band and asked him to keep an eye out for your guitar.
He meets up with quite a few other bands so will have a better chance to get any clues.
I do agree with you that it is most likely well away from Reading now but you never know.

Hopefully we'll get it recovered.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:33 AM

Reviews: 2

Sorry about your guitar, man. That's go to be awful. But one thing I would like to know is (Glen, folks???): why dismantle a jem, and then put the neck on an rg body? For the different wood? There's a post here somewhere from a guy that got an jem rb off evilbay, I believe, but it had an rg neck. That could be explained by saying the other neck got brocken, etc., but... the other way around? I don't get where's there's an improvement. Again, sorry to hear about your loss, I hope you find something as good or better in your search.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 2

Wow, I haven't been here in a while! I must look stupid, trying to remember an ancient post when there's a new one about the guy with the rb just a few topics down Ooops....
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:42 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

production JEMs were not dismantled... it really was just a matter excess spare parts and necks that found their way to dealers/resellers that should have NOT been sold in the first place. These were designed for in-house repairs, warranty, etc only... not reselling to "upgrade" RGs or other models.

For whatever the reason, it seems to happen more often over there... glen

Tags
black pickguard , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , jem neck , monkey grip , paf pro , paf pros , pbk neck , pointy headstock , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode