Help! I'm GASing for new Gear... sell my DNA?! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Help! I'm GASing for new Gear... sell my DNA?!

Hey Guys!

Please help me, I need your advice! I'm catched on a Zappa Track so I'm suddenly thinking about to selling my DNA for getting new equip. A new Amp, a Strat to play the hell out of it, to modify etc. etc. to experiment.
The allurement is very very huge because of that you can get a good amount of cash, which helps to satisfy nearly any wants.

What do you think? I know I will regret it when she's gone but I just want something new now. Arghhhh..

grüße
Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Re: Help! I'm GASing for new Gear... sell my DNA?!

I wouldn't. Save up for a few months and buy that stuff. Keep the DNA.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
I wouldn't. Save up for a few months and buy that stuff. Keep the DNA.
Agreed- you can get a Strat, even a nice one, for such good prices these days, and the selling market (even for a DNA) is low. Keep the DNA and add a nice MIJ Strat or something- they're everywhere.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Don't do it, just wait and save the cash
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Man Dna's are hard to find, and probably most of the gear your looking for is readily available, unless your looking for a vintage strat. I would hang onto it and either move some other gear or just save up. Remember if you sell it you probably wont buy another and no telling what kinda swirl you would get. Just my opinion.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 AM

You can always buy a strat.A little more difficult to find a dna,especially if you like the swirl.I'm having similar thoughts about a js bldg.I bought one as a xmas gift for myself.Only had it for a month and I'm thinking of all the stuff I could of bought instead.And I am afraid to play it for fear of killing the value.I have other guitars to play.I've concluded I'm just not the collector type.I have bought guitars in the past to tuck away and I always sell them because I am afraid to damage them.I took the js for a 5 minute test drive and wrote 2 songs in that short time.I'm seriously considering just playing the thing and not worry about collector value.I mean if its that inspirational , its a good thing.Just no gigging!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 AM

don#t ****in do it! remerber the times you had been gassing for the dna…
thare will be a time to get new stuff…but KEEEEEEEEEEEEP the dna…
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely say keep the DNA. It barely costs anything to find a decent strat, if you look hard.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:46 PM

Reviews: 18

Sell it. It's just a guitar.

Jimmy
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 PM

I say keep it. Gear is always worth more to you when you save for it. If you sell the DNA, you not only lose a pretty rare guitar, but whatever replaces it will just feel like you got it WAY too easy, so you won't feel the mojo for it, and will probably end up dissapointed in the end as you try things and come to different conclusions that nothing else matches the DNA.

Edit:430 posts...my favourite radius...
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your doubts guys. You may speak true, it was hard to find and hard to pay for (I lend money from my brother). You must know I sold all my axes for it, there was a 77FP 15th, RGT2020SOL, RG20TH RFR, RG3070GN the green monster, and a 87' 550DY. But afterwards it was worth it, I never was grieving for them. You must know I'm 23 years old and in a apprenticeship, so that saving the cash for a Relic (the guitar I'm looking for) would take over a half of year. Well... I was thinking about what I could buy with the money, I could easily afford a Fender Relic and another JEM for it. So there would not be suuuuuch a great loss, I think. I'll still have a JEM, but not a special like this one.

A friend of me was shortly here and I showed him the DNA, when I opened the case I thought "Damnit, I don't want to sell it!!". My head hurts.

I've to sleep some days over it....

And Tobias... jaja ich weiß ming Jung... du kennst das doch mit dieser scheiß GASerei. Das ist unberechenbar. Grrrrrrrr...

grüße
Andreas
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM

call me a noob, but what the hell is GASing? i keep seein the phrase everywhere, but im clueless apparently...
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

No problem. Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_Acquisition_Syndrome
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM

ha ha. i knew it was something like that....thanks.
"yeah, um...i cant come in to work today......i have a serious case of G.A.S.." ha ha.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey Kurac,

If you don't want to sell it, don't sell it. Get a second job or try to sell something else.

You've got a very nice DNA, so it will be extremely hard to get another one like that.

If you don't feel attached to it: just sell it.

Tags
sell gear gas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode