Help! I'm a JEM n00b :) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Help! I'm a JEM n00b :)

Hey all; I joined this site a couple of months ago because of the massive amount of content available for my favorite guitars. I'm an active musician who loves Ibanez, but I have so many damn questions regarding the JEM.

Please refrain from spamming/flamming me; I yearn for more knowledge on these guitars! My questions are:

1. How hard is it to gather all the parts to assemble a JEM from scratch? I really like some of the bodies available on **** at the moment, and would love to buy the neck separately.

2. How much can I expect to spend doing this? I'm def on a budget but owning a JEM is one of my dreams!

3. Is it hard to score an Edge Pro tremolo on its own?

Thanks for your help guys; these are probably really stupid questions but I don't know where else to turn! Also, other sites with good deals on JEM and other Ibanez parts are much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM

Re: Help! I'm a JEM n00b :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllP0werToSlaves View Post
Hey all; I joined this site a couple of months ago because of the massive amount of content available for my favorite guitars. I'm an active musician who loves Ibanez, but I have so many damn questions regarding the JEM.

Please refrain from spamming/flamming me; I yearn for more knowledge on these guitars! My questions are:

1. How hard is it to gather all the parts to assemble a JEM from scratch? I really like some of the bodies available on **** at the moment, and would love to buy the neck separately.

2. How much can I expect to spend doing this? I'm def on a budget but owning a JEM is one of my dreams!

3. Is it hard to score an Edge Pro tremolo on its own?

Thanks for your help guys; these are probably really stupid questions but I don't know where else to turn! Also, other sites with good deals on JEM and other Ibanez parts are much appreciated!
1. Not hard, it's just a matter of some e-bay work. The cool thing is anything you happen not to like about it (for instance gold hardware or pickguard or whatever) you can change since you're getting it together yourself. Any of the vendors on here can build you a great quality neck for a reasonable price. I've had a good experience with Legacy, and I know others have with Jaden and Ernie at ET Guitars.

2. Consider every part of this particular answer a result of my personal experience, prices obviously vary greatly with each decision you make. Usually custom projects like this assuming you want quality stuff (dimarzios, high quality trem and tuners, whatever) tend to run anywhere from $1000+. Figure 3 Dimarzios = 200, the body can be anywhere from 150 or so to 400+, neck from the vendors seems to fall in the 2-300 dollar range (assuming you want a vine or something of the sort), electronics and tuners and such about 80ish, and then miscellaneous crap like pickup rings, pickguard, etc.

3. It's not hard, but it's not cheap. Everyone's favorite/hated auction site seems to have em from 250-300 bucks a piece.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Every single guitar I own is a custom in one sense or another, usually made by private builders, so I've had a good amount of experience in terms of this stuff.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM

I have 1000 into mine that I built from scratch. And that was on a budget looking for the cheapest pieces.

I did all of the work and it just needs paint. Its gonna be an off shoot of a BMC.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:53 PM

I used the neck I got from Legacy on a body i had handmade by a luthier friend of mine. Custom projects = my fave

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 AM

My advice is get a second hand RG550 or RG570, the difference being the 550 has a scratchplate and is routed from the front, like most jems and the 570 has no plate and is routed from the back like the Jem77FP (although the FP has a scratchplate!).
That way you everything you need in one go, tuners, trem, hardware etc.
The RGs use the edge or lo pro trem like the jems and you'll have a body you can get repainted or routed for monkey grip/lion's claw if you want, Also you'll get a good neck which you can have the fingerboard replaced on if you want to change the inlay.
Even if you replace the neck and body, you still get the rest of the bits for less than you'd pay separately, and you can sell the spares.
The only bad thing is that you'll have the standard Ibanez pickups. Actually they aren't that bad but you'll probably want to replace them.
Jim
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM

I agree, getting the 570 repainted and modified is the way to go actually. That is probably the cheapest way to get it done. Sell all the cosmo/silver hardware off the guitar and replace it with gold if that what your going for.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
Also you'll get a good neck which you can have the fingerboard replaced on if you want to change the inlay.
actually the mai difference between a 550 and a jem (non 7VWH) is the wizard neck, cause only jem7vwh has an alder body, all the other jems are basswood made, so are 550 and 570.
regards,

i made my guitar from the scratch, it really worth it, you spend money monthly or so in your guitar, so in the end you wont notice how much you spended, and besides, the look will be nothin' but what you wanted.
your own signature almost.
:P

sorry for my writing mistakes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

You guys are awesome; thanks for the advice!

What are some good sites (besides those in the banners above) worth checking out for JEM bodies/necks?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM

this was my project.

the results

closeup to the bridge

i thought this pics might be useful for you as inspiration :P
rg570fm body
rg550r neck
Golden lo pro
evolutions

customized by me.

good luck
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that V-RG builder thing is sick!

Tags
jem , n00b

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode