Help ! Is the JS 1000 really multi radius ?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Help ! Is the JS 1000 really multi radius ??

Hi,

I have been following this board for a while.

I come right to the point.

I did buy 2 ibanez JS early this year with a couple of months difference.

A JS1000BTB and a JS2000CG.

I wanted a pro setup because I wasn't verry happy with my setup and the fret conditions. I found one near me and he is also a builder.

I gave hime first My JS1000BTB. Me and my tech new that the guitar was supposed to be a multi radius neck ?

Uppon checking by him and double checking by me (I even have pictures).

We concluded that it was no Multi Radius neck. THe Fretboard had a radius of 10" all thru the fretboard.

I am feel verry sad about this cause I love this guitar.

My tech told me that this must be a mistake by the factory. So he asked me to check out the JS2000CG. It also is supposed to have a multi radius neck.

No dice same thing.

What now ? THe proint in having a multi radius is to have lower action without having the notes fret out wile bending. (And that is exactly the problem I'm having).

We measured the radius all thru the fretboard on both guitars and they are uniformly 10".

THe Serial numbers on the neck are: F0212656 for the JS1000BTB and F0204429 for the JS1000CG.

Guys , Rich,

Whats your take on this. Did ibanez indeed do a mistake ? Cause I'm sure it wasn't delliberate. Or am I or worse My tech making a mistake.

Does anybody now that the exact radiuses should be from the Nut to the End of the fretboard ?

I know the bridge is arced to 12". If thats right of course.

I Hope someone can help. Cause I am really depressed. You wan't to give your guitars and yourself super treatment and you get this info.

Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 04:16 PM

This topic has been discussed several times, but the below thread had the most info:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...t=multi+radius
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Don't be upset. I believe, and Rich or someone else can correct me, that Ibanez poorly chose their words. Warmoth refers to their multi-radius fretboards as "compound radius." That is what you were thinking your JS guitars would have. Ibanez is refering to the multi-radius profile of the back of the neck. The back of the neck was copied from one of Joe's favorite necks, and it reflects the asymmetrical wear and tear on the back and edges. Both Van Halen guitars, and the SRV are that way. There's probably others now that it's so easy to duplicate CNC anything. You can now pretty much say "this is dimensionally accurate to the one Mr. "X" plays on stage night after night. I've always understood the JS to have a constant fretboard radius, and mine does. I think Ibanez chose their words poorly. Anyone have a different take? I'm only mostly sure I'm right, since my JS neck could be older, and I've never checked any newer ones.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 06:00 PM

I just went to that JS link from the other post, and its says they are at a 9, and then they radius the fretboard to about a 10 at the 22, and then put a little more compound in the frets. But it doesn't say whether Ibanez is doing that. And when Ibanez describes it, they refer to it as a "played in neck" feel. I'd like to know myself if they are doing a multi-radius fretboard. If they are doing such a slight difference like between a 9 and 10 you might not see it on a radius gauge unless you look very closely.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I dont...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
This topic has been discussed several times, but the below thread had the most info:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...t=multi+radius
I don't feel its really a discussed topic. I come from a completely different angle (no offence). I just want clarity.

Its something different to say the heel is compound. it has different goal.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 09:36 PM

JS neck

Hey there...

I just checked the Ibanez USA site...

It says it's a multi radiused neck... not fretboard. And they have a graphic with the specs. It's not without some possible ambiguity for a novice like me, but they list just one radius for the fretboard at 240mm and also say [separately] the 25.5" scale neck has a rounder radius of 12".

Now that I broke out my ruler... it's much more clear... but backwards, lol. 240mm is around 9.5"... a smaller, more curved circle for the fretboard than the 12", larger, flatter circle of the neck. Seems it should be the other way around, but... like I said, I'm a novice.

Either way, Ibanez has a single spec for the fretboard, and a single spec for the neck on their website. [nevermind trying to come up with the EXACT radius of one modeled after Joe's worn neck, lol. MAYBE that's where they get the "multi" description from.]

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

Edwood
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 09:37 PM

Either way, this should be stated a bit more clearly, since it sounds to me like marketing speak for a compund/conical radius. Given that others are doing this (more substantially, I might add - an inch or so of difference may make a slight difference in not fretting out, but doesn't really give the feel of a COMPOUND RADIUS) like Warmoth, Parker, and now Carvin, I think more clarity is warranted.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:26 AM

Re: I dont...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD
I don't feel its really a discussed topic. I come from a completely different angle (no offence). I just want clarity.

Actually, it IS a "discussed topic". Try using the Forum's "Search" function and you'll find the subject mentioned several times.

I'm not sure what you mean by "saying the heel is compound radius". I don't see that stated anywhere, and if it was it wouldn't make any sense. It refers to either the contour of the back of the neck or the radius of the fingerboard itself. The heel has nothing to do with it at all, since ALL JS models have the original non-AANJ heel.

Maybe if you'd state your question in a manner that rambled on less and actually got to the point, it would help clear things up?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Re: I dont...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD

Actually, it IS a "discussed topic". Try using the Forum's "Search" function and you'll find the subject mentioned several times.

I'm not sure what you mean by "saying the heel is compound radius". I don't see that stated anywhere, and if it was it wouldn't make any sense. It refers to either the contour of the back of the neck or the radius of the fingerboard itself. The heel has nothing to do with it at all, since ALL JS models have the original non-AANJ heel.

Maybe if you'd state your question in a manner that rambled on less and actually got to the point, it would help clear things up?

Ok the question is:

Is it a multi-radius fretboard ?

If so what are the measurements on the fretboard ?

If not! Where is the JS multi-radiused ?

I need this info so my tech can do a proper job on the guitar.

Any tips on what I should tell him he should do with my frets is appreciated.

CIA :P
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 07:09 PM

JS neck

Check out Ibanez USA's site to start with... scroll down and see the specs for the neck. A rather simple and easy starting point.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=JS1000

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=JS2000
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Nothing there about multi-radius

Yes I knew that allready.

Nothing about the multi-radius !
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 PM

The website is wrong. You can't have a 12" radius and a 240mm radius at the same time. The JS has a 240mm radius, at least at the nut anyway. Marc I understand your frustration. Everyone needs to stop telling us what they think it means. The other Jemsite thread never concluded that Ibanez was putting a compound radius on the fretboard, and all Ibanez data is to the contrary. It simply lists a 240mm radius, not 240-420 or whatever. You're right to keep asking. I checked some other posts and nobody has yet to pinpoint it exactly.

Joe's guitars receive a "flattening" treatment in the upper regions to around a 10.5" radius, and a further flattening of the frets radius to probably around 11" (you can't take much more off those frets) Your tech can put some flattening into the frets, like Joe's tech, and that's about all she wrote. If the JS fretboard contour is reproduced from a Brawer-planed board, then there is a "compound" radius in the JS necks, and maybe your tech is not seeing it because towards the edges of the fretboard it keeps the original radius, and the flattening is noticed only towards the center. I do this all the time. I go a little flatter in the higher register, but not the whole board. Think of a triangle that begins around the B string, 12th fret, and fans out to the A and high E string by the 22nd fret. That is the "flat zone." Not flat exactly, but a flatter radius blending into the original. I love it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:50 PM

Jippy came closest to nailing it here:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...ighlight=multi

Nobody answered him.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 04:21 AM

MarcD .. for the last time .. the BACK of the neck is multi-radius as shown on the js page of the ibanez site. NOT the fretboard. the back of the neck is rounder towards the nut and flatter towards the body.

~A
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj
the back of the neck is rounder towards the nut and flatter towards the body.

~A
Anuj, my JS1000 is like that, my JS100 does the same................

Tags
custom shop , fretboard radius , neck shape , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode