HELP?? Jem7dbk or Parker nitefly m?? :? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

HELP?? Jem7dbk or Parker nitefly m?? :?

Well, i'm a bit confused to what guitar to buy.
Shall i get a Parker Nitefly m for £700. (small ding) or a
Jem 7dbk.

I'm most likely to play Muse, Radiohead, Rage against the machine, Smashing pumpkins,QOTSA sort of stuff.
I think that a parker might be more suited with its piezo, BUT i really the Jem7dbk. If i had more guitars, i would be so bothered but i dont wanna piss about with tunings all the time.

Thanks!
StevO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:31 PM

Personally I would get the Jem. If you're going to buy a Parker wait until you can afford a Fly or Classic fly. the Nitefly just isn't that nice. I don't like the piezo in it much at all, and overall it's just not that wonderful of a guitar. I've played a few of them and haven't been impressed. My classic was awesome, I can't wait to get it back LOL!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Cheers!

Thanks Little green man! I think i am gonna go with the jem. Its more expensive, but reassuringly i hope. Plus i can save up for a nice a chrome vine, by yourself!
Hmmm saying that...im still not sure!
The parker has great versatility.
Hmm...

Steve
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:03 PM

I think you'll find that outside of the piezo, (which I think sounds very poor on the nitefly) the DBK is actually a more tonally versatile guitar than the parker. If you do much with a trem, the JEM will have a far better trem system for you. That was my one and only real complaint with my Parker classic, was I didn't like the trem, if I was to buy another new Parker I'd get a fixed bridge.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:58 PM

i thought it was possible to somewhat fix the trems on flys by making them to lower only...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
i thought it was possible to somewhat fix the trems on flys by making them to lower only...
Yep- I have my NiteFly set up that way.
Jems have come and gone... but the NiteFly remains in my collection. Love it.

-Ben
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:22 PM

Personally, i would go with the Nitefly M. It's essentially a bolt-on Fly Classic. I love the oiled mahogany body... had the Nitefly M been available at the time i bought my Classic, i may have gone that route insted.

It doesn't have the super-lightweight advantages of a full-blown Fly, but it's still got the carbon fibre fretboard and the stainless steel frets, which are like nothing else you've ever played.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 11:29 PM

I apologize, the local store here sells the P38 as the nitefly. I didn't realize it until Darren said it was still the composite fretboard and stainless frets. I thought it was the rosewood nickel fret P38 which sounds like ass.

Either way though, I would still go with a JEM
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 11:53 PM

Yeah, the P-series are pretty lame as far as Parkers go. The only thing they really have in common is that the body shape and the fact that they have magnetics and piezos on the same guitar.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

still cant decide?!

I think im going to have to play the jem7 and then the parker but its hard, cos they are far apart and they dony have any in the shops in England?!
You guys both have conflicting arguments.
What sort of music do u play on ur flys?? Ans is the piezo actually any good??

Thanks for the input!

Steve
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:29 PM

Something to keep in mind about the Parker, is the body thickness...
Or maybe I should say "thinness"?
Isn't it true that the body is so thin that standard humbuckers don't fit?
In that case, you could really be screwed...
If you want to switch p/u's, that is.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

what about a rg2120x

I just spotted a rg2120x at £400....bit of a bargain. I was wondering how this would compare with the parker. The pick-ups are v7 & v8 but at that price it would be easy to mod. What do think???
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 11:03 AM

That is a real bargain. If you like RGs and JEMs, i'd say go for it. Make sure it's all in good working order. Drop in some new pickups, and you'll be off to the races!

Tags
body shape , chrome vine , fixed bridge , mahogany body , stainless frets , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode