help me become a jem owner!!!! please!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

help me become a jem owner!!!! please!!!

whilst searching the archives of this brilliant site i have decided to purcace a jem.yey!!

but i dont know 2 much. for instance, what is a lionclaw, what dose it do?
what is the diferance between a jem and a universe?
any exta information would be nice also
such as what all the extra leters after the 777 or 77 etc mean? if anything

esentialy i have up to about 100 english pounds to spend and was wondering what the best guitar i could get with that is.
esentaly im going for playability, mainly tremlo pitch return.
but could i get one with a swirly type finish, they loook soooo cool!

thanks very much for ur help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM

Re: help me become a jem owner!!!! please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred me good
what is a lionclaw, what dose it do?
what is the diferance between a jem and a universe?
any exta information would be nice also
such as what all the extra leters after the 777 or 77 etc mean? if anything

esentialy i have up to about 100 english pounds to spend and was wondering what the best guitar i could get with that is.
esentaly im going for playability, mainly tremlo pitch return.
but could i get one with a swirly type finish, they loook soooo cool!
OK then,

The lionclaw is an exaggerated routing behind the trem to allow for greater pullup on the bar. It doesn't really serve any purpose anymore, other than for aesthetics.

A jem has 6 strings, a Universe has 7.

The 7, 77, and 777 don't really mean much, but just refer to the line of jem model. 777 being the original Jems, 77 coming sometime after, and the 7 series are the more recent all access jems.

Now for the harsh part. You won't get a Jem for £100, not even close. New they retail in the UK for around £1600-£1700. I picked up my second hand 7DBK for £700. You may be able to get a second hand korean RG for £100. But no swirls sorry

It sounds like you're a beginner, will this be your first guitar?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM

The lionclaw is the bit cut away under the trem, it's called that because it looks a bit like a lion has clawed it away.

Jem = Steve Vai's 6 string signature model
Universe = Steve Vai's 7 string signature model

The extra numbers e.g. 777 77 7 are just to identify different models. For example the first Jems were the 777 series e.g. Jem777LNG. The current models are 7 e.g. Jem7VWH.

V in the name e.g. Jem7VSBL means Vine inlay in the neck.
D in the name e.g. Jem7DBK means dot inlays in the neck.
P in the name e.g. Jem7PBK means pyramid inlays in the neck

The letters in the name after the series (7/77/777) and after the inlay type (V/D/P) refers to the colour.
E.g. Jem7VSBL, colour = SBL = Sparkly BLue
Jem7VWH, colour = WHite
Jem777GMC, colour = Green MultiColour

For £100 a jem is far out of reach, I'm sorry.
The "swirly type" finish alone costs around $500 US.

With £100 you might want to look at a yamaha pacifica, very good guitars for the money.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

god that went wrong!!!
i have 1000 quid!!
i own an rg220 dx
its my fifth guitar
and yamaha pacifice!!!! hatefull!!!
im trying to emulate steve vies bad horsie with this guitar, need a most exelent wammy bar!
sorry for that
lets try again
vheers 4 the info on the leters and numbers etc
and dose a swirl real cost 500 extra?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 PM

£1000, now we're talking

You should be able to get most Jems second hand for around that price bracket. I recommend buying from the USA on here or ebay and then shipping over. Because of the weak dollar (or is it strong pound?) you'll save a load of money and be able to afford a better guitar.

Make sure you get a 7, 77, or 777 series guitar. Don't get the 555 as most of those will have the Lo-TRS trem. All of the 7 series will have either the Lo-Pro or the Edge-Pro which are the best locking trems around.

Try looking at Ibanez Rules (big swirled banner at the top) to see what Rich has in stock.

You can get swirled finishes from www.abouttimedesigns.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I'm going to say exactly what weserman said. for £1K you can start to look at the higher end models as long as you look in the States. The swirls are probably just out of reach, but if you keep saving for a while longer...

Yes the swirls are expensive, but they're individually hand done, so you can't really complain. (not on this site anyway )

My advice would be to hunt out a recent JEM7 second hand, either a white one or a new blue one, from either our small adds section or one of the sites sponsors.

Remember that if you import from the USA you have to pay VAT (at 17.5%) and import duty (at 3.7%) but the exchange rate at the moment plus the overall pricing policy of Ibanez makes this worth while.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 02:47 PM

And remember, blue is the best colour in the world (just ask simon) and the vsbl is just better because it has sparklies!

(OMG New idea, Jem7VSBMC Sparklie blue multi colour)

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , locking trems , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , steve vai , string signature , string signature model , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode