Help me choose the right JEM. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Help me choose the right JEM.

Hi

Any thoughts on the differences between jem 30th anniversary and jem 77p? I played the 77p and thought it was a pretty awesome guitar.

Have a chance to get the 30th anniversary model but not sure about spending 3 grand vs half that for 77p. Haven't seen many reviews of the 30th anniversary model so not sure which way to go.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 PM

Re: Help me choose the right JEM.

I would go for the 30th anniversary jem in green
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

You really thought the 77P is "awesome". If so why ask?

Since you did... neither is my advice. There are so many great axes available new and used today these fall into the "bad purchase" category for a player axe. In both cass you're paying a 50% upcharge on vai/nostalgia and worse both have some problems/drawbacks from certain perspectives. As a collector the 777 value plummets as you start to play it so inevitably what happens is you will want to find a "player".

The quality difference is commensurate with that of price. I'm not going to comment more on the 77Ps other than it's littering used sites for one exact reason (5 used on guitarcenter presently). BUYERS REMORSE.

So the only question between which to purchase is based on cost and what you are doing with it ... consider a MIJ Ibanez RG/JEM new or used at for what the 77P costs and you'll be most pleased. Rich @ www.ibanezrulues.com has some great Prestige/MIJ closeouts currently. Good luck.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Vendor

Honestly we can't determine why those used P's are on GC used, it could very well be remorse, because the guitars could very well be in that large group of crap I would reject at first sight, much less in depth inspection. These can be wonderful playing guitars but they still have to be good guitars first. Depreciation and signature pricing aside of course.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

^ different cities they're "trade them back in from people ... "i don't want them" axes.

No shame in that, give credit to the owners who grew wiser
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Vendor

Sure, just like you'll find 7-8 VWH's on GC used at all times [given there are 1 billion more in circulation].

But the jist is still the same. These could have been typical P quality that people accepted their quirks and bugs when first received, only to "wisen up" later and get rid of. P quality runs the gambit from pure crap to very nice and strangely very few civilians can tell the difference except to see something cosmetic.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:23 PM
site founder 0% owner

Agree overall but as you alluded to the 77PBFP sold 2015-17 the pattern fits exactly as expected.... costly indo axe, noticed issues go online and see litany of complaints & critiques... buyer remorse very quickly. These are not the guys with a VWH for a decade who might have stopped playing only to return who outgrew Vai and floating trems. They also got back in $ probably what they paid for the VWH or very close.

Along thse lines Rich do you sell JEM JRs? They make much more sense IMHO than any current Premium JEM as a starting point to fix up and spend $400-600 on service/repair/fixes/tweaks IMHO. You could swap in OFRs from the get go... fulfills the "want to be vai" need as well as the "it must play great" desire at a sensible cost (40% less than MIJ). Especially the new yellow/pink ones.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Vendor

Agreed, they cannot be compared.

No, I've learned my lesson, no straight Indo or Chinese, and Premium is on limited menu to begin with. I'll inspect the new iterations in LA to determine if anything will make the menu but I think they're too far away to do anything consistently, and the stainless just makes that finish line further away.

Although yes, the pink and yellow would make great starting points for modders, as they've been doing with the white Jr's for the last couple years.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. I decided on a 30th LNG and love it. Goes well with my Gibson Green Ocean Burst.

One thing Iím not sure about is the bridge. Itís kind of titled upwards. Maybe thatís normal, not sure.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Nice man!!

The back of the original edge does come up a bit, hence why they made the lo-pro. Correct angle is when the saddles are parallel with the strings on the original edge.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Leviathus. Saddles are parallel to the strings so all is good.

This guitar has really nice clean tones. Add some distortion and it rocks. The fretboard works really well for my large hands. Fingers feel a little crammed on my Gibson. Not so on the gem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode