Help With My Jem7vwh - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Help With My Jem7vwh

Im not really good with the tech work, so can you guys if me some help !

Recently, Im experiencing little fret buzzes on the 2nd fret of the B and G String. I already tried raising the bridge, but the fret buzz is still there. Now, should I try to adjust the trus rod? The reason, I don't want to change neck setup is because I have really low action, with no other fret buzzes except the 2nd fret. Apart from taking the guitar to a tech, what should i do ?

thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:53 AM

raise the Nut Hight a little....sould work for buzz between frets 0 and 2-3 I think
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
nut height only helps the open string. check out the tech section of jemsite for step-by-step. it would help to explain what note is "fretted" and at what fret does the "buzz" occur. it seems odd the low strings don't buzz which could indicate a possibly high/loose fret on the e/b side of the fretboard... glen
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Vendor

If you're action is too low and the neck is too straight then the fretwork has to be impecible. You might get around it by dialing in a little neck relief to aid in clearance. If 3 is a little high it's aweful tough [and not advised] to walk a newbie through figuring out if 2 is low or 3 is high or if any of them are even so do you take it off of 3 and will that now buzz on 4 and on and you see what I mean. If you really want it that low and a little relief doesn't help then take it to a real Doctor.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

anyway ! thanks for the advice !
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 08:41 PM

Setting action is the last thing I do. I always adjust the truss rod first if need be.Plus you need to have the guitar in tune when you check it and then re-tune it after you aadjsut the truss rod.

The simplest way to check for relief is to hold the low E string down at the first fret.Then I hold down at the 12th fret with my thumb of my right hand.There should be clearance all the way down the length of the string.The string should not be hitting any frets.As you look between the string and the frets, you should notice that the clearance is a bit greater around the 5th to 7th fret.

IF you are ok at this point, the continue holding the 1st and 12th fret, and use your middle finger of your right hand to tap on the low E string at around the 4th or 5th fret. THere must be clearance still

If there is too much clearance, then you turn the truss rod cloc;wise to tighten it and straighten the neck. IF the string is hitting the frets because of a back bow, then you loosen the truss rod by turning it counter clockwise.

Remember ot retune after you make truss rod adjustments. Then when your relief is right, you adjsut the bridge height for best possible action.That will not effect your neck relief.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the tip !

Tags
fret buzz , low strings , neck relief , nut height , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode